PDA

View Full Version : Side Panel attachments

BradD
09-07-2005, 05:03 PM
The side panels in my boat were coming apart. I'm not sure if I'm using the proper term. Basically the removable structures that provide the side storage for such things a stern light, paddles, etc... that run the length from the back bench up under the dash.
I quickly stapled them in place, but I want to do a more complete job on them.
I have found the 2 attachment bosses (Bolts) at the rear of the panel, but I want to know how many more mounting bosses there are. I don't want to start persuading the panel only to find out one is still attached.

Hunterb
09-14-2005, 06:59 PM
Not sure if this helps or not, but I just rebuilt mine (PS 190). There were five original holes (I think) for the fasteners to hold each panel on. I built new panels and installed t-nuts in them prior to doing the upholstery. I'm not sure how the factory panels are attached as they were long gone when I bought the boat. All I'm going by is the holes that were there. T-nuts work great for holding them in place if you need to build new ones. You should be able to find the fasteners fairly easily by runnning your hand along the upperside of the inside of the panel.

Hope that helps.

Bruce

rem_pss308
10-19-2005, 02:36 AM
I took mine loose last year, the vinyl was coming loose from the board. Above is correct about 5-7 Attachments. Mine had 1/4" nuts . the studs were theaded on both ends and one end screwed into the boards. Hope this helps.

erkoehler
10-19-2005, 02:38 AM
When you get them all loose, the side panel will come right off with NO muscle needed. If you a pulling, twisting, or cussing at it then it is still attached.

Mine came off in about 5 minutes when I was doing my stereo install over the summer.

88 PS190
10-19-2005, 06:31 PM
WEAR GLOVES! Fiberglass splinters... very nasty things. When we got our boat those had vibrated loose, and i got quite a few nasty little buggers in my arm, and to pick them all out and iodine my arm, it was not fun.

milkmania
10-21-2005, 12:49 AM
I've taken mine out and repaired them.....

but I gotta ask, why did they build them with 1/4 inch plywood???:rant:

If I ever build mine, it'll be much thicker material:woohoo:

erkoehler
10-21-2005, 12:52 AM
I'll second that, they are very flimsy, but I guess you gotta keep the weight down for a good wake!

east tx skier
10-21-2005, 10:48 AM
Erk, I'd suspect you're right. Probably weight.

scott88prostar
10-21-2005, 03:22 PM
If you use anything over 1/4 it might look bulkly after adding the felt and vinyl....Im redoing mine and Im using stainless steel bolts attached to thumb srcews so I can tighten or remove them...those inserts get loose over time....3m makes a really heavy duty velco which might work but you need to staple the velco to the wood so it stays...the glue attaches to the fiberglass really well....I was wondering if there is a plastic sheet that would never rot.

erkoehler
10-21-2005, 03:24 PM
I hope to never have to mess with mine again, and I'll leave it at that.