PDA

View Full Version : Broke the throttle control knob on 02 Maristar 230

02-230vrs
11-02-2012, 12:00 AM
Today, I accidentally broke the knob off the main Morse(?) throttle control arm on my 2002 Maristar 230. The arm was corroded and the threaded part broke off and is still inside the knob! So, now I need to change the throttle control arm as there are no threads left to hold the knob. I noticed there is a small phillips screw at the base of the arm where it pivots, but am reluctant to remove it. Anyone know if I can replace just the arm without tearing the entire control unit apart? I am handy but hate to get into the cables and readjusting things on a new unit. I have done it on my previous outboards but adjusting the cables can be a pain. Anyone have experience with this on a 2002 or similar unit? Thanks!

bturner2
11-02-2012, 07:02 AM
I believe you will be able to change out just the handle. The first thing you'll need to do is get the actual model you have. Then do a google search on the model you have. You'll be surprised how much you'll be able to find. I did a search on the MV3 and found the following.....

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/MV3-Instruction_Manual.pdf

The installation manual shows all the parts and part numbers. I searched on the handle part number and found it as a special order part here.....

http://www.fisheriessupply.com/morse-control-mor-311354-311354

tph
11-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Today, I accidentally broke the knob off the main Morse(?) throttle control arm on my 2002 Maristar 230. The arm was corroded and the threaded part broke off and is still inside the knob! So, now I need to change the throttle control arm as there are no threads left to hold the knob. I noticed there is a small phillips screw at the base of the arm where it pivots, but am reluctant to remove it. Anyone know if I can replace just the arm without tearing the entire control unit apart? I am handy but hate to get into the cables and readjusting things on a new unit. I have done it on my previous outboards but adjusting the cables can be a pain. Anyone have experience with this on a 2002 or similar unit? Thanks!

I may have the part you need. Send me a PM.