PDA

View Full Version : The 3rd world country known as Chicago. This is where we are heading

swatguy
11-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Pay parents to pick up report cards - it's ****ing brilliant!
Is the lure of a $25 gift card enough to persuade a parent who’s not involved in their child’s education to get involved?

Seventy Chicago Public Schools that have struggled to engage parents are about to find out.

At Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s request, Walgreen Co. has agreed to provide $25 gift cards to parents who pick up their students’ report cards and participate in parent-teacher conferences during report card pickup days.

“This is a way, in my view, of incentivizing responsible parenting,” Emanuel told a news conference at Field Elementary School, 7019 N. Ashland.
Is he serious? "incentivizing responsible parenting?" In what parallel universe is this unmitigated *** living in? If you "incentivize" (which isn't even a real word) bad behavior, what do you get? More bad behavior.

Every study in existence proves this. Example A is the entire welfare system - you pay someone not to work, you get a ****load of people not working. You give someone a check for pushing out babies, pretty soon the birthrate skyrockets and you have 15, 14 even 13-year-olds having babies. You know what reduced the teen birthrate back in the 1990's? Stopping the checks.
Emanuel said he got the gift card idea during one of his morning workouts.

“That’s what happens when I start swimming. I start coming up with ideas,” the mayor said.

The mayor then approached Walgreen CEO Greg Wasson, who jumped at the opportunity to “give back” to the city where the company has operated for 112 years and now has 150 stores.

This is absurd. We just had one of the most influential teacher strikes because the Mayor would not give them their negotiated raise in their contracts as well as a deal on a new contract. Now all of a sudden the city has money for this. This speaks volumes of what's wrong with this country. Not only do the ghetto area schools provide brake fast, lunch, dinner, after school programs, backpacks, supplies, coats, gloves and hats we now are paying them to get a report card.

Only in this fubar'd society do we promote single parenthood for better rewards from the government. Sorry for the rant I have just had enough. It's crazy the amount of good money thrown at an absorbatant return of bad.

mzimme
11-01-2012, 11:14 AM
I'm still convinced that the lack of handguns is to blame for this.

swatguy
11-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Hahahah. Don't even get me started. Highest murder totals in the country( that was a great record setting year as we were trying to get the Olympics that yr) More people killed on the streets of Chicago then in Iraq/ Afghanistan during the same time period. We already passed last years leading total last week, and we still have 2 full months. That's not even counting the 50- 60% increase in shootings where the victim lives.

Now the Cook County Board is trying to pass a new 25 dollar per gun "gun tax" and a $.05 per box of ammo tax to pay for the medical bills that these thugs rack up.

aquaman
11-01-2012, 11:39 AM
Hahahah. Don't even get me started. Highest murder totals in the country( that's was a great record setting year as we were trying to get the Olympics that yr) More people killed on the streets of Chicago then in Iraq/ Afghanistan during the same time period. We already passed last years leading total last week, and we still have 2 full months. That's not even counting the 50- 60% increase in shootings where the victim lives.

Now the Cook County Board is trying to pass a new 25 dollar per gun "gun tax" and a $.05 per box of ammo tax to pay for the medical bills that these thugs rack up.

Maybe they should offer FREE shooting classes so the thugs become better shots.....resulting in fewer "shooting survivors" and lower medical costs.

fewer thugs on the street AND lower medical costs . all good.

Sullivan
11-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Hey Swatguy,
This is fantastic! I don't mean what these parents, teachers and "Dead Fish Emanual" are doing. I mean you bringing this up. We are the silent majority! I have faith, 95% of people I talk to everyday agree with you and I and we are starting to speak out. The more we speak out the more things will swing back the way they should be.

willyt
11-01-2012, 11:56 AM
if the obvious financial rewards of doing well in school, becoming a well-informed citizen, developing a skill or going to college isn't readily apparent to these people already a $25 gift card to walgreens isnt going to help.

plus, attending PT conferences and the simple act of picking up a report card doesnt equate to "getting involved in a child's education"

look poking fun at the murder rate in chicago is bad form... alot of these "thugs" have children themselves (maybe we should just offer free vasectomies for anyone who wants it, and then stop the checks) but the psychological damage of being a child and growing up in that kind of environment where people are getting gunned down in the streets on a regular basis has to scar them for life (I can't say i know the first thing about it). Think Maslow's hierarchy of needs, it's just propagating itself generationally... and we need to figure out a way to stop it.

aquaman
11-01-2012, 12:21 PM
if the obvious financial rewards of doing well in school, becoming a well-informed citizen, developing a skill or going to college isn't readily apparent to these people already a $25 gift card to walgreens isnt going to help.

plus, attending PT conferences and the simple act of picking up a report card doesnt equate to "getting involved in a child's education"

look poking fun at the murder rate in chicago is bad form... alot of these "thugs" have children themselves (maybe we should just offer free vasectomies for anyone who wants it, and then stop the checks) but the psychological damage of being a child and growing up in that kind of environment where people are getting gunned down in the streets on a regular basis has to scar them for life (I can't say i know the first thing about it). Think Maslow's hierarchy of needs, it's just propagating itself generationally... and we need to figure out a way to stop it.

ok...then seriously....
Chicago has trashed the 2nd Amendment by legislation and deprives its citizens the right to own guns. But amazingly, Chicago has the highest murder rate in the US. If that is not funny it is certainly confounding ?

Many of the thugs are children and Poverty does not justify Lawlessness with animal behavior.

How to Stop It....
Stop the Welfare dollars for being un-employed and having babies, people would be forced to take responsibility for their choices.

The situation is not funny.....but you must say that trying to "make" good parents by giving gift cards is a Joke ?

mzimme
11-01-2012, 12:33 PM
Without even bringing thugs into the equation, having to incentivize going to a parent teacher conference to learn how your child is doing is just pathetic. The parents that don't care aren't just thugs, I only poked fun at the handgun law because of how ludacris that is as well. In truth, the people working in these inter-city schools don't do it for the money. They do it because they generally have a passion to care about a kid that nobody else cares about. I am far from a promoter of social handouts to people, but these kids are definitely innocent victims thrown into circumstances that are not under their own control.

If it just gets the parents in so school personnell can even talk to them, I think that's success. I don't know who's paying for it, but if it helps even 1% of the parents it's reaching out towards to become more involved in their childs life, and potential turn around a home life for the entire family, then it's worth it.

Unfortunately what's going to happen is the parents are going to go get their $25 dollar gift card then go buy a bunch of needles to inject their insulin... since they're all diabetic...

TxsRiverRat
11-01-2012, 12:36 PM
show me a parent thats uninvolved in their childs life, and i'll show you a parent thats probably been screwed out of it by a manipulative ex.

GoneBoatN
11-01-2012, 12:58 PM
ok...then seriously....
...Stop the Welfare dollars for being un-employed and having babies, people would be forced to take responsibility for their choices...

Ding, Ding, Ding. We have a winner. I'm not saying that we don't offer assistance but it certainly should not be for nothing in return. You should have to work for it just like the rest of us who pay taxes to support these programs have to do.

Take as an example the CCC camps of the Great Depression. From Wikipedia:
The American public made the CCC the most popular of all the New Deal programs.[2] Principal benefits of an individual's enrollment in the CCC included improved physical condition, heightened morale, and increased employability. Of their pay of $30 a month, $25 went to their parents.[3] Implicitly, the CCC also led to a greater public awareness and appreciation of the outdoors and the nation's natural resources; and the continued need for a carefully planned, comprehensive national program for the protection and development of natural resources.[4]

During the time of the CCC, volunteers planted nearly 3 billion trees to help reforest America, constructed more than 800 parks nationwide and upgraded most state parks, updated forest fire fighting methods, and built a network of service buildings and public roadways in remote areas.

BTW, my dad worked in a CCC camp. He was not ashamed of that and neither am I.

Quite frankly the free handouts have to stop.

So back to the original topic. Yes, we should reward people for being shxtty parents and give them $25 for just showing up to pick up a report card. That will work! It is amazing how bureaucrats can come up with ideas to give our tax dollars away for zero return.

milkmania
11-01-2012, 02:07 PM
I could just see the mother of 7 kids.....
that'll be
$25.00 for little Jeremy Jerome Tyrone
$25.00 for little Susie Keisha Elaine
$25.00 for little Johnny Marcus Spencer-Christian
$25.00 for little Chenequa Marie Sanchez-Guillardo-Espinoza
$25.00 for little Jose Antonio Chavez
$25.00 for little Carlina Maria Javiera Lopez-Garcia-Cruz
$25.00 for little Carmen Elizabeth Juanita Costa-Brava Cortez

7x$25.00 = $175.00 not too shabby for a day's work, plus all the punch and cookies you can eat:rolleyes:

Lumbergh
11-01-2012, 02:16 PM
Personal Accountability is America?

What is this concept?

Its all about me, and everything else is someone elses fault.

<sarc off>

milkmania
11-01-2012, 02:19 PM
A lot of the problem is Integrity and Accountability
and a lot of people develop this mentality
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qmDQywUyEGs/T5xdrYhL0rI/AAAAAAAAEJI/ow3xPuRS4i0/s1600/instant-gratification-shirt.jpg

Skipper
11-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Of course this is where his majesty Osama came from...look what he has done to wreck us on a national level.

TxsRiverRat
11-01-2012, 03:55 PM
I could just see the mother of 7 kids.....
that'll be
$25.00 for little Jeremy Jerome Tyrone
$25.00 for little Susie Keisha Elaine
$25.00 for little Johnny Marcus Spencer-Christian
$25.00 for little Chenequa Marie Sanchez-Guillardo-Espinoza
$25.00 for little Jose Antonio Chavez
$25.00 for little Carlina Maria Javiera Lopez-Garcia-Cruz
$25.00 for little Carmen Elizabeth Juanita Costa-Brava Cortez

7x$25.00 = $175.00 not too shabby for a day's work, plus all the punch and cookies you can eat:rolleyes:

You forgot dolores flores torez perez!
(actual name of a warehouse employeee my dad had once)

:D

onejdgreen
11-01-2012, 04:15 PM
What a joke!!! My sister in law used to teach in the Chicago area, she was a special ed teacher, which are in high demand because so many kids have "learning disorders"... Not making fun of children who actually have a learning disorder, just making a statement that it appears the number of children with learning disorder seems to rising at high rate... Anyway, these are a couple of names of students that she had that could be added to your list:

Sh!thead (pronounced Shetheed) Jamal Owens
Yelangelo and Orangelo Johnson - Twin sisters and apparently their mother loved yellow and orange Jell-O.

Not making it up, you can't make that stuff up!

dfmaus
11-01-2012, 05:25 PM
I think we should switch to the German model

http://www.dw.de/ten-years-on-hartz-labor-reforms-aid-germany/a-16170080-1

captain planet
11-01-2012, 05:25 PM
To be completely cynical, I think that Walgreens has some connection with the mayor and is simply getting cheap advertising/publicity out of the deal.

mikeg205
11-01-2012, 06:00 PM
@Swat_guy - never a dull moment here in Chi-town....pretty soon they'll be sayin' only in chicago-land. They made it super easy by me in district 202. They developed a parent web module where you can check your kids progress every day. So do a little team talk, check face book, check grades, check out ebay...check grades...

Plan won't work...to many fatherless kids in Chicago...which is very sad... and mostly in the 3 neighborhoods the anointed was supposed to fix up... Washington Park, Englewood and West Englewood... safer walking the streets of Kabul than those neighborhoods... Way to go Mr. President.... Oh yeah his old residence - Hyde Park where the University of Chicago is...

Only 6 more days...

milkmania
11-01-2012, 06:00 PM
*snip*

Sh!thead (pronounced Shetheed) Jamal Owens
Yelangelo and Orangelo Johnson - Twin sisters and apparently their mother loved yellow and orange Jell-O.

Not making it up, you can't make that stuff up!

Jello Shots!!!!!! :woohoo:
http://cutestfood.com/uploads/2011/05/CutestFood_com_tumblr_lk54wkvuc01qcmrsjo1_1280_lar ge1.jpg

mikeg205
11-01-2012, 06:06 PM
2 blue...for me...

swatguy
11-02-2012, 04:57 AM

plus, attending PT conferences and the simple act of picking up a report card doesn’t equate to "getting involved in a child's education"

look poking fun at the murder rate in chicago is bad form... a lot of these "thugs" have children themselves (maybe we should just offer free vasectomies for anyone who wants it, and then stop the checks) but the psychological damage of being a child and growing up in that kind of environment where people are getting gunned down in the streets on a regular basis has to scar them for life (I can't say i know the first thing about it). Think Maslow's hierarchy of needs, it's just propagating itself generationally... and we need to figure out a way to stop it.

The murder rate isn't a joke. What is the joke are the policies they throw hoards of cash at to try and correct it. Define kids because 12 and 13 yr olds are committing armed robberies and homicides regularly here. The liberals just give out more money and make excuses. U know what stops thugs from being thugs? It's not more welfare programs and aid. It’s not more mentoring and coddling. It’s not more psychological programs…… It's being held accountable for their actions. There is next to zero punishment in the judicial system for violent crimes. Probation for shooting someone, and 5 yrs for a homicide. These programs breed the lifestyle in doing nothing and getting everything. Since when is a cell phone a necessity? Government thinks it is. The shooting I handled last night was because a guy sent a text message to his baby momma asking if she was going to church on Sunday. Her current boyfriend took that for code as trying to set up a date/booty call. So he sent a text back saying " if I see you on the hill I will cap your #^*. You know what I give him credit. He did exactly that.....He shot him 8 times.

The key is making people accountable. PERIOD! You think if ray ray knew he could get the death penalty,loose an arm or hand for shooting someone he would be quick to settle the score? You think if Jervonte knew that his next victim he was trying to rob may be armed he would commit that robbery? However society makes excuses .....they have no choice, there isn't enough programs, they need more opportunity, they mean well, it's our fault for being successful and not sharing, we are to blame for their lifestyle…….. Spare me the bs. They have every opportunity afforded at free rides an open doors if they even apply themselves half way. Standards are lowered consistently to allow for success at a cost to those who are actually legitimately successful and busting their hump due to skin color, yet they choose to ignore it and live a life of violence.

I do believe it's mostly due to society. However, it's because society has taken away any sense of self worth and responsibility. You get handout after handout for doing absolutely nothing. What incentive is there then to apply yourself? The government allows convicted felons to get state aid, the government allows them to not mandate any type of drug testing for government aid because it would be offensive…….Really? I am pretty sure 70% of working people had to take a drug test to get their current job and go through a background check ,yet people receiving free money taken from hard working stiffs aren't held to even the same standards as those who bust their hump every day. Don't even get me started on the sanctuary city aspect where taxpayers foot the bill for illegals going to our public schools. Even having the schools teach in Spanish. Again rewarding criminal activity at every level with no repercussions. This is no way to success.

This whole idea of " if it saves one kids life" nonsense is another issue. Throwing millions of dollars and useless programs to save one life is not a solid plan. When you lower things to the lowest common denominator you won't get results. People need to understand that there is various levels of life. Some people succeed some people fail. That's the way it works. It's no fault to anyone except those individuals involved. If we left the bar high more people would try and succeed. It's not the job of the successful to be penalized for being successful. Society needs teirs. Everyone is not entitled to the same things. Work hard you earn more and have more opportunities. That’s the way it should be.

skps190
11-02-2012, 01:10 PM
As a far south sider of Chicago I constantly hear this stuff on the news, to the point where my wife won't sit and watch it, just to depressing. I am a firm believer that sh!t rolls down hill, and in that a ton of the blame has to be put on the parents, as well as the community leaders that these morons keep re-electing. When you've got Jessie Jackson JR who hasn't been able to perform his duties as a Rep. for the past 6+ months and from what it looks like now won't be available for a while, and still runs for re-election some thing is wrong. What is even more wrong is that the people in his district are going to most likely give him another term. If I remember correctly the "Barackstar" used to ask the question "are you better off than you were 4 years ago?" You'd be hard pressed to find anyone in the 'hood who will say that they are yet you know who they will be voting for. Term limits at every level of governement sound good to anyone?

The fact that our great mayor comes up with a plan to compensate parents for taking a part in their children's lives is a complete joke to me. These parents who actually take this Walgreens gift card ought to be ashamed and embarressed that they need to be paid to keep up on their kids grades. Lets just keep throwing money that we don't have at problems that really shouldn't exist in the first place. Great idea Rahm! Never been more proud to say I live in IL and even more so that I'm in a suburb of Chicago. What a joke.