PDA

View Full Version : Dash Repair 88 Prostar

Chrisoswald
10-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Hi..one of my winter projects is to repair an issue with my dash. One of the screws that holds the instrument panel to the dash has pushed thru the instrument panel due to an overtightened instrument panel. For the repair I was thinking of resin to fill the hole with a piece of fiberglass behind it to give the repair some strength. If you have any other suggestions that you think would be better please reply. Here is a pic of the hole that needs to be repaired..thanks!!

memphis23
10-30-2012, 06:25 PM
I am going to keep an eye on this thread as I have the same issue with all of the screw holes on my 88.

Good luck.

Chrisoswald
10-30-2012, 06:41 PM
i will be sure to take some pictures of the repair once i am done. Taking the dash out of the boat was much easier than i expected for what its worth.

bailey78
10-30-2012, 07:01 PM
If it was me, I would do just like you except I would imbed a small piece of metal into the resin, pre drill, and call it a day! ( a turret punch will give you perfect circles in any size).

Chrisoswald
10-30-2012, 07:05 PM
i was thinking about imbedding a stainless washer in the hole..grind it to fit the hole and bed it in then come back with a layer or two of fiberglass to make certain i never have to do this again..any other suggestions.

Chrisoswald
10-31-2012, 11:01 AM
So i disassembled the dash and took all the gauges out and i have discovered a few cracks in the dash. I am considering two options to fix it..spay the back with line x to firm up the back and keep it from cracking further or bedding in a sheet of fiberglass..what do you guys think would be a better fix...any suggestins

thatsmrmastercraft
10-31-2012, 01:55 PM
So i disassembled the dash and took all the gauges out and i have discovered a few cracks in the dash. I am considering two options to fix it..spay the back with line x to firm up the back and keep it from cracking further or bedding in a sheet of fiberglass..what do you guys think would be a better fix...any suggestins

I would go the glass route. The Line-X would not be as permanent a repair.

Chrisoswald
11-02-2012, 10:34 AM
so i ran my ideas past a well respected fiberglass guy in my area and he told me that because the dash is vac formed abs plastic fiberglass and resin wont bond to it long term. He could make a mold for me and make an new fiberglass dash but its pricey for a one off.

Anybody ever repair their plastic dash and if so what did they use? I have looked into some putty that will bond with ABS plastic and may go that route unless someone has a better idea..thanks!

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
11-02-2012, 11:03 AM
so i ran my ideas past a well respected fiberglass guy in my area and he told me that because the dash is vac formed abs plastic fiberglass and resin wont bond to it long term. He could make a mold for me and make an new fiberglass dash but its pricey for a one off.

Anybody ever repair their plastic dash and if so what did they use? I have looked into some putty that will bond with ABS plastic and may go that route unless someone has a better idea..thanks!

new dash on ebay, but pricey at $469

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mastercraft-Dash-Board-Pro-Star-Tri-Star-/160726024708?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item256c048204&vxp=mtr

Chrisoswald
11-02-2012, 02:33 PM
new dash on ebay, but pricey at $469

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mastercraft-Dash-Board-Pro-Star-Tri-Star-/160726024708?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item256c048204&vxp=mtr

i saw that...its a big number.

Chrisoswald
11-03-2012, 09:31 AM
Im all fixed up and really happy with how the fix worked out...i will be posting some pics of the repairs made as well as the materials used shortly