PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing Question

tex599
10-29-2012, 01:05 PM
1981 S&S 351 PCM, last years winterizing did not go so well, popped a freeze plug, luckily no damage done. Popped in a rubber one and boat did fine all summer. Last year, I drained water from both manifolds and removed the block drain plugs. The engine sits at a weird angle and so some water was left in the block back by the starter, at least that is where the freeze plug popped.

So this year, I removed the drain plugs, let the water out, put the plugs back in and removed the hose from one of the manifolds that goes to the thermostat housing and poured antifreeze in it. Until it trickled out my drain holes. Will this work?

thatsmrmastercraft
10-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Tough to say if enough A/F will get to the right places without the engine running. There really is no substitute for putting 4 gallons of A/F through a running engine to ensure the A/F will end up distributed properly.

Ski-me
10-29-2012, 01:25 PM
It does need to get to operating temperature though so that the thermostats open up to allow the A/F into all of the cavities......

thatsmrmastercraft
10-29-2012, 01:38 PM
It does need to get to operating temperature though so that the thermostats open up to allow the A/F into all of the cavities......

Good point. I always pull my stat so I tend to forget to add that disclaimer.

bcd
10-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Say you just dry block it and don't put antifreeze in. When you start your boat up in the spring, your block is empty and thermostat is closed. How does water get into the block before the t-stat opens?

catamount
10-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Say you just dry block it and don't put antifreeze in. When you start your boat up in the spring, your block is empty and thermostat is closed. How does water get into the block before the t-stat opens?

Water is always circulating through the block, regardless of whether or not the thermostat is open. The thermostat is where water comes OUT of the engine, not goes INTO the engine.

This is smaller open port on the thermostat housing allows the excess water to pass when the block is full, but the thermostat not yet open. At least this is how I understand it.

http://i.imgur.com/m3PHK.jpg

CantRepeat
10-29-2012, 05:10 PM
Water is always circulating through the block, regardless of whether or not the thermostat is open. The thermostat is where water comes OUT of the engine, not goes INTO the engine.

This is smaller open port on the thermostat housing allows the excess water to pass when the block is full, but the thermostat not yet open. At least this is how I understand it.

Regardless of the circulation you always want to being the motor to temperature before introducing anti freeze to the system.

OP, I had the exact same thing happen to 92. I drained the block but because of the angle it was sitting on it push out the freeze plug behind the starter.

What I always do now is pull the water intake house off the bottom of the boat and put it in a bucket of water. After the engine gets to temp the the thermostat is open I fill the bucket with anti freeze and then run the motor until 5 gallon bucket is empty. This will ensure the motor is completely full of anti freeze.

Here is a little demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHR9bbPbwmM

catamount
10-29-2012, 05:22 PM
TheOffspring, I think you misunderstood the question I was answering. His concern was: in the spring, assuming you drained your block during winterization, is the block really running with "air" until the thermostat opens.

What I was telling him was: "no".

bcd
10-29-2012, 05:30 PM
The question I'm really getting at is can you drain the block, and then use the 5 gallon bucket of antifreeze to fill the engine when you start it up. My thermostat is a PIA to get to, so that's what I did this year - drained the water, then filled my strainer full of antifreeze, started the engine and continued to pour 5 gallons of antifreeze into it. I was wondering if that was effective.

I've since come up with the thought of filling via my heater hot water supply.

CantRepeat
10-29-2012, 05:37 PM
TheOffspring, I think you misunderstood the question I was answering. His concern was: in the spring, assuming you drained your block during winterization, is the block really running with "air" until the thermostat opens.

What I was telling him was: "no".

Right on.

The flow you were talking about.

bturner2
10-29-2012, 05:39 PM
You really don't need the engine hot to put antifreeze in the block. This is what we do......

Pull both of the hoses at the thermostat housing going to the exhaust manifolds. Then pull the hose on the water pump going to the engine block. Now fill the block through that hose until antifreeze comes out the thermostat housing. About the same time you'll notice that the hose you're pouring the antifreeze in is also full. This would also indicate that the block is filled to this level. To be extra safe I'll pour antifreeze into the hoses going to the exhaust manifolds. It shouldn't take much before antifreeze will start coming out the exhaust ports on the transom. Been doing it this way for 25 years and have yet to have any issues and I'm up here in the great white north.

CantRepeat
10-29-2012, 05:53 PM
You really don't need the engine hot to put antifreeze in the block. This is what we do......

Pull both of the hoses at the thermostat housing going to the exhaust manifolds. Then pull the hose on the water pump going to the engine block. Now fill the block through that hose until antifreeze comes out the thermostat housing. About the same time you'll notice that the hose you're pouring the antifreeze in is also full. This would also indicate that the block is filled to this level. To be extra safe I'll pour antifreeze into the hoses going to the exhaust manifolds. It shouldn't take much before antifreeze will start coming out the exhaust ports on the transom. Been doing it this way for 25 years and have yet to have any issues and I'm up here in the great white north.

Well if you can't start the boat I could working out something different. But really, put the inlet hose in a buck, run some water, let boat run for 10 minutes, dump anti freeze in bucket and done.

We all go round and round on this stuff each winter when people start asking what do I do. There's a lot of ways to skin a cat, but who would want to? lol :D