PDA

View Full Version : L-18 Exhaust Manifolds cracked

prostar205
10-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Well, I've been chasing my tail for the past 2 years trying to find the source of water in my bildge. Well, this weekend during my winterization process, I think I found it - both exhaust manifolds appear to have hairline cracks on the underside of the casting in the middle.

Can these be fixed? If not, where can I buy new ones? Skidim, MasterCraft dealer?

The boat runs great (492 hours) on a 2002 X-30.

Thanks for the help.

corey
10-29-2012, 01:59 PM
Is water leaking from the cracks when the engine is running? Are there rusty water lines on/around the area? Most of the cracked exhaust manifolds I've seen are near the back (of the engine) on the bottom and closest to the side furthest most from the engine, occasionally small cracks will rust back shut, in that they are still apparent but don't actually leak water. Not an easy place to do so but snap and post a pic if possible.

bjames
10-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Wasnt there a problem with some Indmar manifolds having/developing cracks?

corey
10-29-2012, 03:34 PM
I am much more familiar with the 5.7's of this generation, but the only issues I've seen with exhaust manifolds were on the cast aluminum versions. Basically the steel plugs that were welded in sometimes had corrosion issues but this looked nothing like a crack. I think the original 8.1 liter ran the two part exhaust manifolds.

JimN
10-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Well, I've been chasing my tail for the past 2 years trying to find the source of water in my bildge. Well, this weekend during my winterization process, I think I found it - both exhaust manifolds appear to have hairline cracks on the underside of the casting in the middle.

Can these be fixed? If not, where can I buy new ones? Skidim, MasterCraft dealer?

The boat runs great (492 hours) on a 2002 X-30.

Thanks for the help.

If it's in the cooling passage, you could grind a groove and use MarineTex or JB Weld.