PDA

View Full Version : LT-1 starting problem

skigeezer
10-29-2012, 12:31 PM
My MasterCraft died after an hours worth of skiing. It started rough, idled erratically then died. Numerous attempts of restart resulted the same way.
I have a 1995 Prostar 190 with 350 c.i. LT-1 that fails to stay running. Fuel pressure tester reads from 42 to 44 psi. with key on engine off (KOEO). While cranking starter pressure dropped to 20 psi. Since I did not have water hooked up I did this twice for about 10 seconds. I also noticed that noise coming from fuel pump during KOEO is not always the same. Sometimes it sounds like itís arcing instead of humming. I assume the fuel pump is bad but am looking for verification from fellow boaters.
Also my Clymer Indmar service manual mentions a water separating fuel filter being between fuel tank and fuel pump. My boat does not seem to have one unless itís under floor board that runs between fuel tank and engine cover. Anybody know?

JimN
10-29-2012, 12:50 PM
My MasterCraft died after an hours worth of skiing. It started rough, idled erratically then died. Numerous attempts of restart resulted the same way.
I have a 1995 Prostar 190 with 350 c.i. LT-1 that fails to stay running. Fuel pressure tester reads from 42 to 44 psi. with key on engine off (KOEO). While cranking starter pressure dropped to 20 psi. Since I did not have water hooked up I did this twice for about 10 seconds. I also noticed that noise coming from fuel pump during KOEO is not always the same. Sometimes it sounds like itís arcing instead of humming. I assume the fuel pump is bad but am looking for verification from fellow boaters.
Also my Clymer Indmar service manual mentions a water separating fuel filter being between fuel tank and fuel pump. My boat does not seem to have one unless itís under floor board that runs between fuel tank and engine cover. Anybody know?

Make sure the plug is fully engaged on the pump. If your fuel pressure gauge has a purge valve and hose, make sure to use it. Also, take a fuel sample when you do this to see if it's contaminated. If the fuel looks like it's contaminated, remove the fuel pickup from the tank and make sure it's not clogged. You may see a second filter at the tank and it may not have been changed recently (or, ever).

If you had a fuel/water separator, you would see it when you open the engine cover. I didn't see many MC boats with one. It should have an anti-siphon valve and a fuel shutoff at the tank, though. I would make sure the anti-siphon valve is clear/moving freely and the shutoff lever is inline with the fuel line. It can sometimes turn, restricting fuel flow.

Ski-me
10-29-2012, 01:05 PM
I didn't have a "pre-filter" at my tank either. I just added one.

Also, check the fuel pump and the inlet screen. A lot of junk can get in there.....

Here are some pictures.......

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=50726

skigeezer
10-30-2012, 02:58 PM
Will be going back to boat with recharged battery and water hookup to do further fuel pressure testing after I examine the fuel tank screen and pump inlet screen. Thanks for the heads up everybody. Will keep you posted. Pete :cool:

skigeezer
11-01-2012, 12:22 AM
Installed recharged battery, hooked up fuel pressure tester, turned key to KOEO and read 42 psi. Fired engine and it stayed running with 36 to 38 psi fuel pressure. What the? Shut down engine and decided to examine inlet screen at fuel pump. It was blocked by 1/2. Cleaned screen, reinstalled pump, fired engine, and now have 36 to 42 psi at idle. Plan on installing additional fuel filter at top of fuel tank after shutoff valve. A lot easier to get to and change then to get at that fuel pump inlet screen. :D