PDA

View Full Version : next couple of days Concern

skiknox
10-28-2012, 12:22 PM
Guys,
after getting everything I needed from the lt1 checklist I had all intentions of winterizing today. The forecast had a different idea, steady rain all day. Well the next couple of nights they are saying mid 30's. Ive seen some forecast say 32 and some 35. Question is what sould I do. Boat is in a open in the front only carport, is this a must do today no matter what the weather is? could i put a heater in the carport to keep a little heat in there?

JimN
10-28-2012, 12:30 PM
Guys,
after getting everything I needed from the lt1 checklist I had all intentions of winterizing today. The forecast had a different idea, steady rain all day. Well the next couple of nights they are saying mid 30's. Ive seen some forecast say 32 and some 35. Question is what sould I do. Boat is in a open in the front only carport, is this a must do today no matter what the weather is? could i put a heater in the carport to keep a little heat in there?

Drain it (block, oil cooler and remove the plugs/disconnect the hoses at the rear of the exhaust manifolds), remove the hoses at their lowest points and crank it over. Leave the hoses off, so any remaining water has a place to go if it needs to expand. Once it warms up again, you can reattach everything and finish the job.

FWIW, when the winterizing season ran long/winter came early, we were out there in all kinds of weather, including rain and snow. If it can be put under a car port, why can't you do the whole thing?

skiknox
10-28-2012, 12:46 PM
the carport has very little working room and low height clearance. Its on a slab with block on all sides but front not really where a want have it running dumping water in there for several minutes.

Cloaked
10-28-2012, 01:00 PM
the carport has very little working room and low height clearance. Its on a slab with block on all sides but front not really where a want have it running dumping water in there for several minutes.

One of three options:

drain and walk away. Nothing will improve after that point. Button it up later when you finally make yourself do it (..........how long has this been coming? :D)

Stick a shop light or any 75 watt bulb (energized) under the engine cover.

Personally, I would not worry about a predicted 32 deg F in your area. I have yet to drain mine and won't give it a second thought at 32 deg F near Knoxville in the lower elevation.

tideengineer
10-28-2012, 03:49 PM
The shop light is cheap and a good insurance policy. I do it anyway in he cold

catamount
10-28-2012, 07:21 PM
I've heard that it takes 29 degrees for 3 days straight to pop the freeze plugs. Don't forget that if it's 50 degrees during the day, the massive engine block will hold some of that head into the night.

I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep about a night of 32, or even a week of 32 degree nights (as long as it got into the 40s during the day).

skiknox
10-28-2012, 07:43 PM
thanks guys, I really thought it would be ok for a night or two just wanted to hear it. My first ownership of a mastercraft and inboard so I need to get to know it. So i went ahead and removed manifold plugs and block plugs and all lowest hoses. Man this site has helped me soooo much.