PDA

View Full Version : Can you tell me what this is (pic attached)

Kweisner
10-26-2012, 09:39 AM
First, thanks in advance to anyone that can assist. Second, a BIG thanks to all that have contributed here over the years. I am a new owner and have spent many hours combing through posts--the education is INVALUABLE, and I know I've averted some disasters and mishaps thanks to the accumulated knowledge here!

On to my question. . .at the electronic hub of my MCX (2007 ProStar 197) is a multi-socket connector (purple connection) that has been unplugged since I got the boat in September (boat runs beautifully). Nearby is a plug that will fit this connector (red box to the right) and it has a single wire that comes out of one pin and goes right back into another. My assumption is this is some sort of "test loop" and I have left the plug and socket disconnected (as shown in the picture).

So the obvious questions are:

What is it?
Should it remain unplugged (as shown)

Again, many thanks in advance!

clrussell
10-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Thought it might be a timing plug, but has to many pins... Looks like it should be plugged in to me.. But I'd wait roses what others sau

Sent by the new iPhone 5!

Kyle
10-26-2012, 01:23 PM
I don't see wires going to the plug on the right.

Is it a dead plug to protect the connector on the left?

If so plug them together and use it as a cap to keep the pins clean on the left connector.

willyt
10-26-2012, 02:01 PM
you having problems with the boat?
if it aint broke, dont fix it.

That you dicom hookup?

Kweisner
10-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Hey Kyle,

There are NO wires going to the plug on the right. There's just a single wire coming off one pin of that plug and then right back to another of the pins, forming a loop. So in that sense I can't say it's completely 'dead' as tha tloop will form some sort of circuit.

Willyt, i'm with you (so far). . .ain't nuthin' broke so I left it as I found it. But it just doesn't seem right!

Thanks for the input.

93Prostar190
10-26-2012, 07:39 PM
I believe that cap protects the connector you have exposed ....... I can outside and check mine .... I have an MCX.

tex
10-26-2012, 07:53 PM
When connected it makes your boat back to the left too.

mikeg205
10-26-2012, 08:01 PM
When connected it makes your boat back to the left too.

lol...:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

Footin
10-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Flux capacitor connection

Kweisner
10-26-2012, 09:38 PM
So THAT's where the Flux Capacitor plugs in! Good thing i put in the lake near the power plant so I can access the 1.21 jigawatts I'll need to go back to 1997 and drive her when she was new!

Seriously, thanks 93prostar190 for the cross check. And thanks for the chuckles Tex and Footin.

JDC
10-27-2012, 02:55 PM
It does appear to be a protective cap but if you say there is a wire that forms a loop on the cap, it's possible it IS a plug to put it into base timing. ?? Can you see what the 2 pin #s are for the wire that forms a loop?

There should be a cap for that wire connector on the left. The weatherpack function of that type of connection is worthless if it's not plugged in to protect the terminals.

I just checked my MCX but the plug is slightly different (it's a 2004). Mine is plugged into the cap and the cap end has one wire that loops from the cap back into the base of the wiring harness side of the plug. Since mine is different, that probably doesn't help much, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Kweisner
10-27-2012, 10:52 PM
It does appear to be a protective cap but if you say there is a wire that forms a loop on the cap, it's possible it IS a plug to put it into base timing. ?? Can you see what the 2 pin #s are for the wire that forms a loop?

There should be a cap for that wire connector on the left. The weatherpack function of that type of connection is worthless if it's not plugged in to protect the terminals.

I just checked my MCX but the plug is slightly different (it's a 2004). Mine is plugged into the cap and the cap end has one wire that loops from the cap back into the base of the wiring harness side of the plug. Since mine is different, that probably doesn't help much, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Thanks for the research and comparison--I will check the pin #s and let you know (heading out of town for business for the next week).