PDA

View Full Version : Removing 1 wheel from tandem for manouvering

bjames
10-25-2012, 01:31 PM
Any problem removing 1 set of wheels from the tandem trailer just to easily manouver it into a tight parking garage. The wheels would be put back on once parked for the winter.

The reason for this is I use a John deere riding tractor to snake this into a carport for the winter. Its all paved but requires some fairly tight turns. I figured converting the trailer into a single axle will reduce some resistence. Thoughts?

Sodar
10-25-2012, 01:44 PM
You are going to need to test and see if the wheel bottoms out on the fender with just one set of wheels on one axle. My guess is it will, but your mileage may vary.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-25-2012, 01:58 PM
Also, make sure you take off a wheel from each side. Just sayin'

Seriously, if you are looking for maneuverability, try taking off the rear set first. If you rub, then try taking off the front set.

FrankSchwab
10-25-2012, 02:10 PM
Seriously, if you are looking for maneuverability, try taking off the rear set first. If you rub, then try taking off the front set.

Wouldn't that make it fairly difficult to actually move the boat?

Thrall
10-25-2012, 02:11 PM
Not sure where the CG is on the trailer, guessing closer to the rear wheels to provide some tongue weight. If the X25 is as nose heavy on the trailer as my X2 (compared to an X15 which has much less tongue weight than the X2), you may want to take off the rear wheels anyway just to lighten the load on the tongue.
If you can't find a good balace, take one front and one rear wheel off??
The torsion axles should support the weight of the boat with only 1 set of wheels on, no problem, and not hang the other axle down too far.
Another option if this don't work out well for you is a short wheel base vehicle with a front hitch, maybe borrow a Jeep? I had a side loader garage at the last house that would have been physically impossible to back the trailer into without the using the front hitch on my old CJ. (Required 2 hookups every time we took the boat out. On the Jeep, out of the garage, on the truck, back on the Jeep, into the garage!)

Rockman
10-25-2012, 02:29 PM
I ran into the same problem when getting our 190 into the house garage this weekend.

I removed the rear wheels on our tandem and the trailer weight was unstable. Seemed more back heavy than anything so I put the rear tires back on and removed one of the front tires just to see if that would work better but the front axle came down all the way to the floor due to the motor weight.

So I bought 4 skate plates off of amazon and will put these under the tires after we get the boat in the garage. They are rated for 6,000 lbs so they should work pretty good.

maristardd
10-25-2012, 02:31 PM
Could you use a set of these instead?

http://www.amazon.com/Skates-Wheel-Dolly-Bearings-Moving/dp/B000UAGDTC

I have not used personally, but I know car dealerships use stuff like this all the time to move cars around the showroom.

Rockman
10-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Yep,

Those are the ones I just ordered:

4 12" Tire Skates Wheel Car Dolly Ball Bearings Skate Makes Moving A Car Easy (Sold by Wayfair).

$199.99 with free shipping.

Miss Rita
10-25-2012, 02:48 PM
The reason for this is I use a John deere riding tractor to snake this into a carport for the winter. Its all paved but requires some fairly tight turns. I figured converting the trailer into a single axle will reduce some resistence. Thoughts?

Removing a set of wheels from one axle of the trailer will reduce resistance, but if your lawn tractor can get the boat into position without removing wheels it's not worth the trouble.

bjames
10-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Removing a set of wheels from one axle of the trailer will reduce resistance, but if your lawn tractor can get the boat into position without removing wheels it's not worth the trouble.

The tractor moved my old Moomba LSV (tandem trailer) fairly easily. This year it will be a 2009 Xstar that will be moved. Its when trying to pivot the tounge and back up thats tough on the hitch. I may try removing 1 front and 1 rear wheel.

Miss Rita
10-25-2012, 03:40 PM
when trying to pivot the tounge and back up thats tough on the hitch.

If your hitch can handle the stress of hauling 5000 lbs down the road at 70 mph it's more than strong enough to handle backing into your garage.

Thrall
10-25-2012, 05:35 PM
If your hitch can handle the stress of hauling 5000 lbs down the road at 70 mph it's more than strong enough to handle backing into your garage.

Guessin' he meant the hitch on the lawn mower not the boat.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-25-2012, 06:42 PM
I ran into the same problem when getting our 190 into the house garage this weekend.

I removed the rear wheels on our tandem and the trailer weight was unstable. Seemed more back heavy than anything so I put the rear tires back on and removed one of the front tires just to see if that would work better but the front axle came down all the way to the floor due to the motor weight.

So I bought 4 skate plates off of amazon and will put these under the tires after we get the boat in the garage. They are rated for 6,000 lbs so they should work pretty good.

If you are just doing this to put in the garage for the winter only, use ratcheting straps and ratchet up the axle for clearance. Too much work otherwise.

Rockman
10-26-2012, 03:03 PM
If you are just doing this to put in the garage for the winter only, use ratcheting straps and ratchet up the axle for clearance. Too much work otherwise.

Yes, agree.

I did get the skate plates yesterday and assembled them and put them under the wheels. They work really well.

I would not suggest getting any that have a load rating under 6,000 lbs. The boat was easy to move around but we have grooves in our garage floow to prevent the concrete from cracking and also for drainage so that makes the moving a little bit of a pain but other, they worked well.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Yes, agree.

I did get the skate plates yesterday and assembled them and put them under the wheels. They work really well.

I would not suggest getting any that have a load rating under 6,000 lbs. The boat was easy to move around but we have grooves in our garage floow to prevent the concrete from cracking and also for drainage so that makes the moving a little bit of a pain but other, they worked well.

Sounds like the same difficulties in moving a snowmobile on dollies. Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Rockman
10-26-2012, 03:19 PM
I have to check if I lower the tongue down all the way on a floor jack and take the weight off of the front of the boat entirely, if I can move the boat without the skate plates.

When I cranked the wheel on the tongue down all the way, the weight did not come off of the back tires like on most of the newer trailers.

Time for a bigger garage! :D

Forrest-X45
10-26-2012, 06:00 PM
No kidding - do I ever need a bigger garage. Where I keep my boat in the winter requires the front hitch on my truck to make the corner then onto the wheel dollies for the final push over to the side. I use the same dollies but can usually find them at Harbor Freight for $40-$50 a pair with a super coupon since I collapse a set each year. They are rated at 3000 lbs. a pair. The wheel dollies just don't want to roll on the smooth concrete and then they usually fold over or collapse. In the spring at least two of the dollies are just dragging along as we push the boat inch by inch. The price we pay for cheap winter storage and a 45 just weights too much. :)
Did I say I need a nice new big garage???

ricford
10-26-2012, 06:13 PM
When I cranked the wheel on the tongue down all the way, the weight did not come off of the back tires like on most of the newer trailers.

Time for a bigger garage! :D

First crank the jack all the way up so the weight is on the rear wheels, then use ratchet straps from the axel to the frame to hold it there, then lower the front. I've used this method to change a tire without a jack.

JDC
10-27-2012, 08:12 PM
I removed the rear set of wheels to put my boat in the garage this year. It was MUCH easier than last year when I left all 4 wheels on. I used trailer dolly like the one in the pic below. I think if I pulled the front wheels, the weight on the tounge would have made it hard to use the dolly.

I have single doors on our 2 car side load garage. I did get the back end of the boat started in the door with the tow vehicle and help from a spotter (wife), but I have to discconnect the truck and finish by pushing it.

Has anyone used or heard any good or bad about the Park-it 360 (http://parkit360.ca/shop/p360l-9800lbs-4445kgs)? Sounds like I could leave all the wheels on and put the boat in the garage very easily. It's not cheap, but I could do it with no help, no pushing, and no frustration.

Rockman
10-27-2012, 08:46 PM
I moved our 190 around the garage today and tried to fix the driver side running lights on the trailer but no success. :mad: I check all the connections on the trailer, sanded down all the areas on the trailer where the grounds connect, got new marker lights and checked all the fuses on the truck. Passenger side marker lights work, all brake lights work and all directionals work but no driver side marker lights...save that one for another day. :confused:

But I did find out that the 190 will fit in the garage with my wife's truck if we get the tongue cut and install the fold-away! So that gets moved up to the top of the priority list fast! :D

petermegan
10-28-2012, 07:20 AM
If you want to remove one set of wheels, I have used a piece of 40mm rhs slid along the top of the rocker assembly, it restricts the movement of the rocker enough to stop the loose axle from dropping too much. Not for up the road though, just for the garage manouver :) Have fun.

mikeg205
10-28-2012, 11:38 AM
Yes, agree.

I love the tire skates... been using for years... when the wheels get dirty on the skates it will get harder to move...they clean up easy.

bjames
10-30-2012, 02:25 PM
I wont be able to move the boat by hand, remember this is about 4300lbs plus trailer. My mothers driveway has quite a few control joints and cracks so dollys will probably crumble of get stuck on a joint.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-30-2012, 05:00 PM
If you want to remove one set of wheels, I have used a piece of 40mm rhs slid along the top of the rocker assembly, it restricts the movement of the rocker enough to stop the loose axle from dropping too much. Not for up the road though, just for the garage manouver :) Have fun.

Nicely done.