PDA

View Full Version : New Rudder on 2006 X-Star

ematthew
09-07-2005, 10:41 AM
The 2006 X-Stars and larger models have a much larger and different shaped rudder than earlier year models. I know one person who drove with it and was very impressed with the improved handling. Has anyone else driven a new boat with the larger rudder? What differences do you notice? My dealer tells me one can buy the new rudder and install it on an older X-Star. I am considering changing the rudder on my 2004 X-Star to the new one to improve handling at low speeds, backing, turning, etc. Any thoughts on how this new rudder would enhance the boat's performance would be appreciated.

Ric
09-07-2005, 11:49 AM
sounds good, I dont know what a larger or shaped rudder would do for backing and idle speed maneuvers though.

erkoehler
09-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Well, somebody with a new X-star is going to have to let us know how they power turn!!!! :twocents:

ematthew
09-07-2005, 01:12 PM
I was hoping with the bigger rudder the boat would need less steering wheel turning to hold course at very low speed. Believe it or not, I do some trolling for salmon when I am not wakeboarding. The boat requires alot of steering to keep a straight course at idle speed, so I was hoping the larger rudder would help.

Ric
09-07-2005, 02:26 PM
I was hoping with the bigger rudder the boat would need less steering wheel turning to hold course at very low speed. Believe it or not, I do some trolling for salmon when I am not wakeboarding. The boat requires alot of steering to keep a straight course at idle speed, so I was hoping the larger rudder would help.
This trout (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=3044&page=2&pp=40&highlight=fishing) was caught in a Prostar (scroll down to my post)

DanC
09-07-2005, 02:37 PM

The larger rudder may help at slow speeds (I assume by slow speeds we are talking 15-25 mph) but a larger rudder won't help tracking at idle speeds. A larger rudder will help make steering adjustments more effective. A deeper keel, dagger board or bigger tracking fins will help a boat hold a better straight line at idle speeds.

AirJunky
09-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Well, somebody with a new X-star is going to have to let us know how they power turn!!!! :twocents:
Is doing a "power turn" with a +6000 lb boat a good idea? :eek:

erkoehler
09-07-2005, 04:35 PM

I don't know, only one way to find out!!!! :headbang:

P.S. Make sure I am not in the boat

Ric
09-07-2005, 04:38 PM
is trolling for salmon in a new xstar good idea?

ematthew
09-07-2005, 05:43 PM
The boat is no longer new. I don't know how good an idea it is, but I have caught alot of fish and it gives me something to do when the lake is not glass. I mounted some rodholders to the tower, a GPS/Fishfinder to the dash, and have removeable downriggers for when the fish are deep. It works for me. The main challenge is keeping the boat going straight at 2.5MPH.

Ric
09-07-2005, 05:46 PM
The boat is no longer new. I don't know how good an idea it is, but I have caught alot of fish and it gives me something to do when the lake is not glass. I mounted some rodholders to the tower, a GPS/Fishfinder to the dash, and have removeable downriggers for when the fish are deep. It works for me. The main challenge is keeping the boat going straight at 2.5MPH.
heh heh, j/k, you can do whatever the helluwant in your boat. (well..... within reason)
That's the way I see it

ski_king
09-07-2005, 05:51 PM
Don't want to start a rumor, but I heard there will be a 07 Fish-Star model.

SteveO
09-07-2005, 06:04 PM
I heard they are replacing one of the ice chests on the X-star to a live well.

Ric
09-07-2005, 06:06 PM
true, it will also have a chart reader tied to gps and perfect pass

AirJunky
09-07-2005, 06:07 PM
To keep up with the Fish-tique? :dance:

Seems like the fish smell would get into the upholstry & stink the boat up bad!

Ric
09-07-2005, 06:08 PM
To keep up with the Fish-tique? :dance:

Seems like the fish smell would get into the upholstry & stink the boat up bad!
pink and fishy smelling :cool:

ski_king
09-07-2005, 06:59 PM
true, it will also have a chart reader tied to gps and perfect pass
Trolling motor mount in place of the front boarding ladder.......

bigmac
09-07-2005, 08:23 PM
The boat is no longer new. I don't know how good an idea it is, but I have caught alot of fish and it gives me something to do when the lake is not glass. I mounted some rodholders to the tower, a GPS/Fishfinder to the dash, and have removeable downriggers for when the fish are deep.

Ack!

Is wakeboard speed too fast for trolling?

WallenpaupackPA
09-07-2005, 10:49 PM
At the risk of bringing this topic back to the original question, I have driven an '05 X-Star and an '06 X-Star with the new rudder design back to back and I can say without reservation that the new rudder is a material improvement. You can pretty much turn at almost any speed with a single finger on the steering wheel. If you are dissatisfied with the hard steering under certain power conditions, you should seriously consider upgrading to the new version. You'll be glad you did.

ematthew
09-07-2005, 10:53 PM
Thanks for answering my original question. The other posts were pretty funny though!

Leroy
09-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Glad you got your question answered ematthew, this is one of the funnier hi-jax, I never expected this turn of events!

Ric
09-08-2005, 01:22 AM
Thanks for answering my original question. The other posts were pretty funny though!
Great thread! I enjoyed it and then wallenpau had to come on here and ruin it with facts ;)

WallenpaupackPA
09-09-2005, 03:37 PM
Sorry, retract! Retract!