PDA

View Full Version : Fram extended guard filter got high marks

Rossterman
10-22-2012, 03:29 AM
I've read about the poor build quality of fram filters here and on other forums. Seems like their new extended guard is very highly rated for performance and construction. Seems better made then all other filters mentioned here and video on utube shows robust interior design. Here's ratings:

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilter/gradesheet.htm

mikeg205
10-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Looks like the Mobil 1 makes the best grade not counting the price.

onewheat
10-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Looks like the Mobil 1 makes the best grade not counting the price.

All of the other Mobil 1 grades make me not mind spending the extra $6 for one over a typical filter.

bturner2
10-22-2012, 03:55 PM
While several of the filters deserve high marks it's interesting that if you look at how the results were tabulated price had a measurable impact on how they were rated. Since when does price become a factor of true performance? I can see if it was value for performance but this rating system is flawed by design. Also if you click back on the link about the test you'll find that it wasn't done by an accredited ISO rated lab but rather a blogger in his basement with some perhaps questionable testing methodologies.

Not saying it's pure crap but to consider it a reliable guide to performance..... it is not.

CantRepeat
10-22-2012, 04:11 PM
I'd never buy anything fram that is an oil filter. Hell, they probably paid for the study.

The one thing I have yet to see is a flow rate at new and say 90 day mark.

Why in the hell would they consider price in an oil filter study? What I want to know is how well it works. Price should be an after thought.

lol look who is the top advertiser on the bottom of the page.

I don't think you can go wrong with Wix or the Pure One.

jgraham37128
10-22-2012, 04:52 PM
I just changed mine with a Mastercraft filter. $6.95 from the dealer why would you even want to change brands, unless it's too far to drive? I always prefer what the manufacture recommends. They had the Penzoil one which supposed is the exact same thing but for $0.50 I chose the one that said mastercraft.

CantRepeat
10-22-2012, 05:10 PM
I just changed mine with a Mastercraft filter. $6.95 from the dealer why would you even want to change brands, unless it's too far to drive? I always prefer what the manufacture recommends. They had the Penzoil one which supposed is the exact same thing but for $0.50 I chose the one that said mastercraft.

Just FYI, Mastercraft does not make those filters. If I remember there are like 6 major manufactures of oil filters and they just get relabled to what ever the company that buys them.

EricB
10-22-2012, 05:36 PM
Just FYI, Mastercraft does not make those filters. If I remember there are like 6 major manufactures of oil filters and they just get relabled to what ever the company that buys them.

This is probably true, however Mastercraft (and the engine vendors) do have a list of filter properties and specifications that the vendor filters need to meet, otherwise they cannot be a supplier. Yes they are (most likely) re-branded "Mastercraft" but the quality should be there. If a failure occurs that is caused by the filter, then Mastercrafts warranty stands behind it.

CantRepeat
10-22-2012, 05:45 PM
This is probably true, however Mastercraft (and the engine vendors) do have a list of filter properties and specifications that the vendor filters need to meet, otherwise they cannot be a supplier. Yes they are (most likely) re-branded "Mastercraft" but the quality should be there. If a failure occurs that is caused by the filter, then Mastercrafts warranty stands behind it.

Well, I'm sure the crappiest of Fram filters meets that spec but I would never run one.

CantRepeat
10-22-2012, 06:00 PM
On a side note:

The way they tested for filtration is just wrong. Cutting up the filter media and laying it flat and running "100mL amounts [of oil] were mixed with approx .250g of contaminant and mixed well " through it doesn't take into consideration the construction or density of the filtering media wrap. A tightly packed media is going to filter a little better then something just laid out flat.

mikeg205
10-22-2012, 06:51 PM
I'd never buy anything fram that is an oil filter. Hell, they probably paid for the study.

The one thing I have yet to see is a flow rate at new and say 90 day mark.

Why in the hell would they consider price in an oil filter study? What I want to know is how well it works. Price should be an after thought.

lol look who is the top advertiser on the bottom of the page.

I don't think you can go wrong with Wix or the Pure One.

Have to strongly agree here with CR. The NAPA Gold 1069 or 1060 has a flow rate of 9-11 gallons per minute and the Napa Platinum 41060 for synthetic has a 7-9 gpm. Had to stay with the gold to maintain the flow rate in my MCOCD mind.

Rossterman
10-23-2012, 02:15 AM
Good points! I'm by no means a fram convert and will probably buy the mobile 1 next time as it got high marks for everything but price ( which folks mention and i agree shouldn't even be a grading criteria!). Just thought folks to know that the haven't fubared the entire line of products and would be a decent selection if you can't find a mobile 1 filter.

03geetee
10-23-2012, 09:10 AM
I run a Motorcraft in my race car have since day one, if it is good enough for that abuse it's fine for the boat.

JTR

tideengineer
10-23-2012, 10:03 AM
oh well....I've used a Fram the last two times....50 hours each time. Mobil 1 synthetic oil...maybe I use a different one on next change.