PDA

View Full Version : Engine HELP

cmike
10-22-2012, 02:06 AM
I have a 2011 x2 with a 310 hp Inmar Predator engine. I've noticed that when starting it up in the morning it idles really rough. Almost chokes out and there's a fair amount of smoke. Once I run it for a while its fine. But starting it up .... Well I guess I just expected more from an expensive boat. I took it into the dealership and they said its just the way that engine runs. Anyone else experience the same issue?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-22-2012, 08:42 PM
I have a 2011 x2 with a 310 hp Inmar Predator engine. I've noticed that when starting it up in the morning it idles really rough. Almost chokes out and there's a fair amount of smoke. Once I run it for a while its fine. But starting it up .... Well I guess I just expected more from an expensive boat. I took it into the dealership and they said its just the way that engine runs. Anyone else experience the same issue?

I do not believe it should idle roughly and definatly should not smoke on cold start up. It should be smooth with no smoke. Did they scan the ECM for codes? IMO there is a problem, maybe try a different mc dealer, they are not all the same.

JimN
10-22-2012, 09:03 PM

"I took it into the dealership and they said its just the way that engine runs."- what they told you is a load of crap. That's NOT the way that engine runs and if it was, MC and Indmar would never have used it. Mercruiser, PCM, Volvo-Penta and any other user wouldn't have chosen it, either. Working correctly, these idle like butter.

Take it to your dealer and talk to the owner, not the service tech or the service manager, if he was the one who told you this. However, I would make sure the person who said this engine runs rough is involved in the conversation. Remind the owner that you dropped a lot of money on a boat that SHOULD NOT run this way and that it WILL NOT run this way when they're done with it. If they balk, call MC and complain.

Your engine is a GM TBI engine and millions of these are out there, in various vehicles. I have an older version in my pickup and I can tell you that, even with more than 250K miles on it, it doesn't run the way you're describing. Your dealer needs to grow a set and take care of your problem.

What color is the smoke? If it's light blue, it may be oil and this would indicate a possible leak.

jgraham37128
10-22-2012, 10:14 PM
I have a X2 2010 model 310 hp and it doesn't smoke nor idle or run rough at any point.

mikeg205
10-22-2012, 10:33 PM
My '95 TBI runs like butter - has different heads I believe - but like JimN says...no smoke, starts right up, idles smooth...Take JimN's advice.

onewheat
10-23-2012, 12:49 AM
Agreed - a fuel injected engine shouldn't run rough on a cold start up - something with a choke, maybe, but not FI.

Kyle
10-23-2012, 01:21 AM
Here is what I would do.

Go start it up and notice the color of the smoke. Blue smoke is oil consumption. That indicates that oil is leaking into the combustion chamber some how (a head gasket, valve seal, incorrectly installed oil rings, intake gasket etc). Black smoke is fuel consumption. This will indicate too much fuel being dumped onto the combustion chamber (bad injector, ECM not reading sensors correctly, bad sensor, etc).

As soon as you verify the color of the smoke turn the engine off. Make sure you keep the engine in open loop (under full operating temperature).

Now do keep in mind that if it is cold where you are and the engine is running some smoke can be steam as the exhaust is hot and the water is cold coming out the exhaust pipes. If the smoke you are seeing is clear or white looking then it could be steam. If this is the case then try cycling the key off and on 2 times waiting 10 seconds each way of the cycle. Then restart. If the roughness goes away then it could be starving for fuel until the fuel pump can catch up (bad fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, etc).

Do keep in mind weird things can happen without setting codes or trigering the MIL or check engine light.

I do agree that there is a problem. I only recommend the simple test for the purpose of having more ammo heading onto the fun meeting at the dealership. Having some knowledge before going to battle will maybe let them know to not BS you.

If you feel the need to post results from the test then we prolly could give you some symptoms to tell the owner about.

Kyle
10-23-2012, 01:22 AM
Oh and check the oil level. Is it full, is it good ole oil or milky oil, how old is the fuel.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-23-2012, 01:24 AM
Agreed - a fuel injected engine shouldn't run rough on a cold start up - something with a choke, maybe, but not FI.

Not my "something with a choke" fires right up and idles oh so smooth. Rough idle means something is wrong.

onewheat
10-23-2012, 01:34 AM
Not my "something with a choke" fires right up and idles oh so smooth. Rough idle means something is wrong.

I did say "maybe". :D

Kyle
10-23-2012, 01:37 AM
I am also noticing that you live in the NW states and it is cold up there at night now.

Are you fogging the engine after every use and winterizing. If so and you are fogging the HE|| out of it, you will have these similar issues. I fogged mine one year and it was extremely hard to keep her running until the fogging oil burned off and the spark plugs cleaned up a little.

I only ask these questions to keep you from hauling your rig all over town, getting into a heated conversation, then finding out that your MCOCD is somewhat to blame, followed by having to eat a little crow, and finally having your dealer rember you in a negative light.

cmike
10-23-2012, 02:34 AM
Very very helpful. I'm going to share this thread with my dealer who says they talked to Inmar and that this is normal. The smoke has a bluish tint to it. Sounds very much like an oil issue. I live in portland OR and its been doing this all summer. The boat is new this season with less than 100 hours on it. It would also explain why I've had to add a few quarts of oil. Thanks for the tips.

wheelerd
10-23-2012, 03:04 AM
A few quarts of oil? :confused: There's definitely something wrong there. Sounds like an issue with the motor right from the get go. In all three of my MC's I did/do go all summer without ever having to add oil.

JimN
10-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Very very helpful. I'm going to share this thread with my dealer who says they talked to Inmar and that this is normal. The smoke has a bluish tint to it. Sounds very much like an oil issue. I live in portland OR and its been doing this all summer. The boat is new this season with less than 100 hours on it. It would also explain why I've had to add a few quarts of oil. Thanks for the tips.

If you had to add oil in quarts, not it small amounts, it has a problem. How long after you bought it did the smoke/rough startup begin? Did they give you a warranty? Get the disclosure statement from the dealer and call MasterCraft to find out if they have warranty claims for that boat/engine. This will be an indication of how well it was cared for- if it had major engine work when the original owner had it, it may not have been done correctly.

If you want to and are able, remove one spark plug at a time BEFORE starting it when cold and look for oil on any of them. If all are dry but one is wet, check the compression on all cylinders and write the numbers down for each. Start it and remove the oil filler cap- if you see a puff of steam or smoke at regular intervals, you may have a bad ring or the rings may be lined up to allow "blow-by". A worse case would be a scored cylinder wall, but even that's not necessarily the end of the world, but it would need to be repaired. The gaps in the rings are supposed to be staggered, not aligned (or close to being aligned). If the wet plug and low compression coincide, you should tell the dealer and, hopefully, you have a warranty. If not, it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

I would doubt it's a bad oil seal, but that wouldn't be the worst thing- it's a minor repair.

Trout
10-24-2012, 10:15 AM

I've got a different opinion here!

Yes there is something wrong with your engine!
Yes the service dept is doing you wrong!

But do this!

Take a video of it doing the described behavior and post it to the dealers Facebook account if the have one!

Or call Mastercraft and share the video with them! They want everyone to be happy with their product and don't want he bad press over what should be something simple to resolve!

Next what color smoke is rolling out the exhaust? White or black?

willyt
10-24-2012, 10:27 AM
what about the smell of the smoke? oil consumption has a very, very distinct smell to it along with being a little blue. I'd say you definitely have an issue.

my first MCX (basically the same engine) had 950 hours when i sold it, never did that
on my second MCX with 520 hours and never has done that