PDA

View Full Version : 1.52:1 Velvet drive -- likely spots to leak?

strad
10-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Got some pink fluid in the bilge yesterday. It is not coming from the rear seal or the trans cooler lines. It is not likely coming from the shift selector shaft seal -- there is some residue there but none running down the side of the trans case. All areas on the case that I can see (everything except the extreme bottom side) are clean. trans is not missing a large enough amount of fluid to register on the dipstick. So yeah, I'm a bit at a loss lol. I'm pretty sure that the bilge was fluid-free before I started, but not 1000% sure.

It is an 84 S & S, and it has 900 hours on it.

reftech
10-21-2012, 02:22 PM
Possibly the front seal? That's the only other place I could imagine it coming from and u would notice it underneath between the bell housing and plate.I had this problem and my prop shaft alignment was off putting pressure on the front trans seal..

nitro5238
10-21-2012, 11:57 PM
Yes there is a washer inside the shift selector area...just call skidim and tell them where it is leaking....l did mine a couple years ago and if lremember correctly it only cost me about 3 dollars for the parts including shipping. After you disassemble the nut on the opposite side it puls right out...you apply some trans fluid on the washer then slide the assembly back in...but then you will notice that it has some resistance going back in showing you how worn out your original washer was and that was why it was leaking.....hope this helps.

strad
10-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Well I took it out yesterday again. Shoulda known not to actually, what with the white caps here and there out in the channel. I was only able to run it at speed for about 2 minutes before I got out in the channel and took a big splash of water across and over the windshield lol. Oh well, part of my education I guess. Anyways, with about five-ten minutes of total at-speed time, got little if any pink fluid in the bilge. I guess I'll have to wait for this weekend and some more sustained running to try and pinpoint it better. I already know I'm going to be doing valve cover gaskets and riser gaskets this winter.