PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter replace - Keeping the mess to a minimum

JDC
10-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Just looking for ideas / past experience from those who have come up with a way to replace their oil filter and keep the mess to a minimum.

When you loosen the filter, oil runs down the sides and drips everywhere. On mine, there is really no way to put a plate or something under it level enough to hold the oil spill. I used a lot of PIG Mat (http://www.newpig.com/pig/US) type absorbent pads and just let it run out.
I tried to use a plastic bag to put the filter in before working it out around the engine to keep it from dripping on the carpet. I didn't drip, but it seems there has to be a better way.

What do you guys do?

clrussell
10-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Guy i bought my boat from always used a plastic bag over the filter so I did that with half a washer fluid jug under the filter, worked great for me and made no mess

Sent by the new iPhone 5!

mark g
10-21-2012, 02:44 PM
Same here, loosen filter with wrench then wrap in plastic bag and spin off, no spills, just make sure no holes in plastic bag, usually put down old wrag on carpet just in case though.

GoneBoatN
10-21-2012, 06:05 PM
I use a quart size Zip Lock. The plastic is a little thicker than a plastic bag that one might get from a grocery store, which means it will "stand up" a little better while holding it over the filter during removal. There is enough room in the zip lock for what oil comes out.

sand2snow22
10-21-2012, 06:11 PM
zip lock and a rag

JDC
10-21-2012, 07:02 PM
OK, I'll try a zip lock bag next time. I thought with it's natural state being closed at the top, it would give me grief. However, the plastic bag I used was flimsy and caused it's own problems.

Maybe I'll try making a ring out of a coat hanger to hold the zip lock baggie open. Kinda like one of those things I've seen that hold open plastic garbage bags for yard waste. I'll still use those absorbent mats though. They suck up a lot of oil!

jgraham37128
10-21-2012, 07:41 PM
Zip Lock freezer bag 1 gallon size. Did it today not one drop!

JG

ricford
10-21-2012, 08:26 PM
OK, I'll try a zip lock bag next time. I thought with it's natural state being closed at the top, it would give me grief. However, the plastic bag I used was flimsy and caused it's own problems.

Maybe I'll try making a ring out of a coat hanger to hold the zip lock baggie open. Kinda like one of those things I've seen that hold open plastic garbage bags for yard waste. I'll still use those absorbent mats though. They suck up a lot of oil!

You don't need to hold open the zip lock bag. Slide it all the way over the filter, then spin the filter off and let it drop into the bag. I never spill a drop.

carlsonwa
10-21-2012, 08:45 PM
I use pig mats down in the bilge and grocery plastic bags to drop into. Next year I'll have to try the zip lock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoneBoatN
10-21-2012, 11:56 PM
You don't need to hold open the zip lock bag. Slide it all the way over the filter, then spin the filter off and let it drop into the bag. I never spill a drop.

Yep. It is easiest to first loosen the filter a little so that you can then easily turn it by hand but not leaking any oil yet. Then put zip lock bag over it. At that point you can easily keep the zip lock in position.

GoneBoatN
10-21-2012, 11:57 PM
... Of course a couple of rags on the bottom of the bilge to catch the couple of drops of oil that happen no matter what you do.

Stx221
10-22-2012, 10:42 PM
I cut the top off a 2 Liter soda bottle. It fits perfectly under the filter with room to spare and I just loosen the filter with a filter wrench and drop in. The bottle catches both the filter and the oil that comes out and down all the sides.

mikeg205
10-22-2012, 10:48 PM
I cut the top off a 2 Liter soda bottle. It fits perfectly under the filter with room to spare and I just loosen the filter with a filter wrench and drop in. The bottle catches both the filter and the oil that comes out and down all the sides.

Cool idea STX... hope you had a great season....

Stx221
10-22-2012, 11:26 PM
So great of a season (#1 with a boat), that I ran out of time to get on here!

That and work may have gotten really busy so there was NO way that I was spending time on a computer during any given weekend.

G-Star
10-23-2012, 12:08 AM

I do something similar... use a large yogurt container around the filter. Squeeze the filter inside the container and spin it off. It just falls into the container and doesn't spill a drop.

GoneBoatN
10-23-2012, 11:48 AM
I can just see it now. Guys in the local grocery store comparing various yogurt containers for best fit to an oil filter. :)

GoneBoatN
10-23-2012, 11:50 AM
I can just see it now. Guys in the local grocery store comparing various yogurt containers for best fit to an oil filter. :)

or better yet, when the wife is going grocery shopping and asks if you want anything...

TxsRiverRat
10-23-2012, 11:55 AM
On the 1993, I grab about 4-5 paper towels and out it under the filter... Then I remove the filter quickly to avoid spillage. On my GFs 1998 the filter is in a bad spot, but it sits upright no issues (unless you drop it!)

d2jp
10-23-2012, 03:52 PM

I do the same thing. It also works well on certain cars/trucks.

Ski-me
10-23-2012, 04:55 PM
By JimN's suggestion.....it worked great!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=51183&page=8

JDC
10-23-2012, 05:55 PM
By JimN's suggestion.....it worked great!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=51183&page=8
It seems you have more room under your filter than I do, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=884763&postcount=71 however it looks like that jug idea may work best for me... if I can get it in there.

Sounds like clrussell had the same idea with the WW fluid jug. I like the jug idea since it 's firm but still flexible, unlike the ziplock bag that might be to flimsy. Whatever works best for each situation I guess is the key.

I got the medium height filter in it this time but I think that's the limit for my boat.

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback and great suggestions. :toast: