PDA

View Full Version : Finally finished stereo install!!!

erkoehler
09-06-2005, 11:05 PM
Here are a couple different photos of the stereo I finally finished :D

7- 6 1/2" sony x-plode speakers
1-1300 watt amp
1-Sony x-plode head unit.

erkoehler
09-06-2005, 11:05 PM
Speaker location in rear of boat.... :D

erkoehler
09-06-2005, 11:06 PM
more speakers....... :)

erkoehler
09-06-2005, 11:07 PM
amp!!!!!.....

erkoehler
09-06-2005, 11:09 PM
Another speaker is under the drivers feet, you can't see it but you definetly know it is down there when you turn on the radio :popcorn:

erkoehler
09-06-2005, 11:10 PM
There is also a speaker on each side behind the ski storage, towards the back of the boat...

Ric
looks good Erk but is that amp on the floor under the obs seat? :noface:

that would not work in my boat because there is just too many wet butts on the seats

Danimal
Nice! You gonna put the back seat in or don't you run one?

erkoehler
09-06-2005, 11:13 PM

that would not work in my boat because there is just too many wet butts on the seats

It is under the observer seat, but I am going to figure out a way to mount it to the side wall under the seat on the opposite side where the drivers leg would be.

erkoehler
09-06-2005, 11:14 PM
Nice! You gonna put the back seat in or don't you run one?

I don't put the back seat in unless we are on a family vacation. And even then, usually only on the 4th of July.

Ric
09-06-2005, 11:14 PM
It is under the observer seat, but I am going to figure out a way to mount it to the side wall under the seat on the opposite side where the drivers leg would be.
good boy
other than that, I give it a thumbs up

Danimal
09-06-2005, 11:15 PM
I might turn mine into a sun deck like a couple people recommended on here. Looks like a pretty easy thing to construct for my TriStar. Then I can just take out the frame when the kids are over.

bcampbe7
09-06-2005, 11:18 PM

I have to agree here Eric...

Have you seen where I mounted my amp in my '96 PS190? Pay no attention to the mess of stuff under the bow!

Looks great though!

erkoehler
09-06-2005, 11:19 PM
I have to agree here Eric...
Have you seen where I mounted my amp in my '96 PS190? Pay no attention to the mess of stuff under the bow!

That is exactly where I was thinking!! :D Brilliant minds think alike :)

erkoehler
09-06-2005, 11:19 PM
Double post, so here is another pic.....

erkoehler
09-06-2005, 11:22 PM
What kind of hardware did you use to mount it????

bcampbe7
09-06-2005, 11:23 PM
That is exactly where I was thinking!! :D Brilliant minds think alike :)

Mine has worked well here so far...

bcampbe7
09-06-2005, 11:24 PM
What kind of hardware did you use to mount it????

Just some screws I had laying around. They are short enough so that they don't go all the way through, but long enough to hold just fine.
Drill a small pilot hole first.

erkoehler
09-06-2005, 11:36 PM
Has anyone ever attempted to put speakers right at the base of the windshield? Like this except on a MC? I was thinking about doing it, but though I would get some feedback first.

erkoehler
09-06-2005, 11:37 PM
other side :confused:

Ric
09-06-2005, 11:42 PM
I've seen that in a boo before and don't care for it for practical reasons nor do I think the reflected sound would be anything more than just LOUD

shepherd
09-07-2005, 10:00 AM
I'm no expert, but would water accumulate in/on the speaker or speaker cone? I've been caught out in a few downpours before and even took a wave over the bow and windshield once or twice :mad:

Diesel
09-07-2005, 10:48 AM
I've seen that in a boo before and don't care for it for practical reasons nor do I think the reflected sound would be anything more than just LOUD

Ric is right, not a good idea.................acoustics are terrible. Glass is the last thing you want near a speaker. You cannot control the direction of the sound. Ric is right they will be loud though.....................

Not to mention you have to take the windshield off when you want to switch out speakers.

BriEOD
09-07-2005, 12:17 PM
I think if you have somewhere to put it (like Beau has) that's a better option. However, I want to point out to all the doubting Thomas's being critical of putting amps under the observer seat I have yet to have a problem and I have about 75 hours on the engine since I mounted both of mine there last winter. My wife has submarined the bow in wake, I have had tons of wet kids, adults, rain, a week at the lake house, etc and those babies stay bone dry. Not a single issue. :twocents:

bcampbe7
09-07-2005, 12:19 PM
I think if you have somewhere to put it (like Beau has) that's a better option. However, I want to point out to all the doubting Thomas's being critical of putting amps under the observer seat I have yet to have a problem and I have about 75 hours on the engine since I mounted both of mine there last winter. My wife has submarined the bow in wake, I have had tons of wet kids, adults, rain, a week at the lake house, etc and those babies stay bone dry. Not a single issue. :twocents:

Aren't yours covered somehow? Or am I thinking of someone else?

BriEOD
09-07-2005, 12:22 PM
Nope, someone else...

Ric
09-07-2005, 12:29 PM
The underside of the deck of a 190 bow has glassed in areas of that plastic that is perfect for mounting amps and the divider wall works well too
I mounted 3 amps in the 190
one on the drivers side of the divider wall way in front of the footrest, one on the underside of the deck and one above the LTS ballast tank and you wouldn't know they were there
made it real nice for storage and never ever worried if they'd get wet

bcampbe7
09-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Nope, someone else...

Sorry Brain... Got you confused with someone else...

kdr
09-07-2005, 01:12 PM
Has anyone ever attempted to put speakers right at the base of the windshield? Like this except on a MC? I was thinking about doing it, but though I would get some feedback first.

I am considering this as a location on my 94 205. I just got a small system installed and have discovered that the factory location of the speakers leaves much to be desired. my only concern would be to have the ability to control the volume of the dash speakers independantly, which my current setup doen't allow. My experience with the malibu location is that they tend to blast the driver.

BriEOD
09-07-2005, 01:46 PM
The underside of the deck of a 190 bow has glassed in areas of that plastic that is perfect for mounting amps and the divider wall works well too
I mounted 3 amps in the 190
one on the drivers side of the divider wall way in front of the footrest, one on the underside of the deck and one above the LTS ballast tank and you wouldn't know they were there
made it real nice for storage and never ever worried if they'd get wet

Unfortunately Ric they don't have a divider or any spots like that in the 1987 model.

ProStarMike
09-07-2005, 10:17 PM
Double post, so here is another pic.....

Isn't the fuel tank behind the rear seat panel? I have the same year boat, but a 205. The boat has 4 speakers now, but in terrible (IMO) locations for clarity and loudness. I like the location in the rear of the boat like that, assuming you didn't have any clearance issues!

Thanks,

-- Mike

ProStarMike
09-07-2005, 10:22 PM

Before buying my PS205, I looked very long and hard at the '05 Malibu Sunsetter LXi (shhh, stop the booing, I bought the MC after all! Haha!), which had the speakers mounted at the base of the windshield like in your attached pictures. I thought it sounded very good, as the sound reflected well off the glass and back towards the listening area.

If you can get to the areas in your boat to complete a similar install, I don't think you'd be disapointed.

BTW, has anyone shopped eBay for the Clarion marine hardware that MC uses? It is DIRT cheap out on eBay - brand new, too. I am going to upgrade my sound system over the winter and will probably go with all of the clarion marine components.

-- Mike

erkoehler
09-08-2005, 12:29 AM
Isn't the fuel tank behind the rear seat panel? I have the same year boat, but a 205. The boat has 4 speakers now, but in terrible (IMO) locations for clarity and loudness. I like the location in the rear of the boat like that, assuming you didn't have any clearance issues!

Thanks,

-- Mike

Yes, the gas tank is back there, but there is about 6inches between the carpeted divider and the tank.

Ric
09-08-2005, 01:07 AM
BTW, has anyone shopped eBay for the Clarion marine hardware that MC uses? It is DIRT cheap out on eBay - brand new, too. I am going to upgrade my sound system over the winter and will probably go with all of the clarion marine components.

-- Mike

I have not shopped ebay but I can understand why the stuff is for sale... no not the quality because I think it's good stuff but it's unbelieveably difficult to use! watch for mine on ebay if I get rodl-ish after a few beers one day ;)

Workin' 4 Toys
09-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Yes, the gas tank is back there, but there is about 6inches between the carpeted divider and the tank.

Nice work Eric. I would suggest against the dash mounts too for the same reasons listed.

wats218
01-07-2008, 11:02 AM
There is also a speaker on each side behind the ski storage, towards the back of the boat...

Where exactly did you mount the speakers behind the ski storage? I have the exact same boat, thinking about either mounting a pair in the rear like you have or in the behind the ski storage, if I can figure out how you did it? Does it alter the sound? And does having the rear seat in alter the sound of the rear speakers?

The whole install looks really nice.

erkoehler
01-07-2008, 11:08 AM
I ended up not running the speakers behind the ski storage as they kept getting cracked and damaged by the skis.

The speakers in the back of the boat under the seat worked out really well.

wats218
01-07-2008, 11:13 AM
I've been thinking about where to put another pair of speakers for a while. I think I'm going to try it. This way I don't have to mess with any upholstery either. Thanks.

MIMC
01-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Erk -

Looks nice! Are teh speakes marine grade? If yes, let me know how you liek them!

Are you interested in a remote for that explode sony head unit? Look in the "marketplace" section of team talk, under accessories, and you will see the new remote I'm selling. Let me know your Sony head unit model # and I can let you know if it's compatible.

Thanks -
MIMC

MIMC
01-07-2008, 12:07 PM
I need to proof-read before I post! :(

Chicago190
01-07-2008, 12:48 PM

I think that would be a good location for tweeters if you run component speakers. I know my car has them mounted in essentially the same spot and there is no problem with them being close to the windshield glass.

Ric
01-07-2008, 01:43 PM
This is a thread revival! yes tweets would be ok in the dash near the windshield. I've done that in cars with a complete crossover system. It sounds ok, but you WILL find yourself backing off the power to those things cause they will rip your face off!!!!

TX.X-30 fan
01-07-2008, 02:45 PM
PS190? Pay no attention to the mess of stuff under the bow!

Very hard to ignore such a mess Beau, this could spillover to your dwelling, personal hygiene just no telling!!! Next thing you know your socks are on the lamp shades, underwear hanging from door knobs, bathtub looks like it need a shave!!! My suggestion would be to get the mess on the boat cleaned up and hopefully you can catch this behavior before its too late??

:D :D ;)