PDA

View Full Version : Indmar Exhaust Manifold Bolts

Lumbergh
10-20-2012, 11:31 AM
Anyone know what size the bolts are for standard Indmar exhaust manifolds?

1991 Prostar / 351W

Would like to just buy some SS bolts locally rather than buy the whole kit from skidim and have to wait for UPS. Just gonna replace the bolts on one side rather than pull the riser and manifold.

Instant gratification is what I am looking for.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-20-2012, 11:58 AM
3/8"-16 x 1" long,
just a word of caution, a standard head bolt will not fit in the clearance an internal hex (allen head) or a small frame bolt head is needed at least this is the case on my '89 indmar...

ctjahn
11-03-2012, 03:48 PM
3/8"-16 x 1" long,
just a word of caution, a standard head bolt will not fit in the clearance an internal hex (allen head) or a small frame bolt head is needed at least this is the case on my '89 indmar...

I just started this. Been wanting to retorque them and decided to just remove em and start fresh to avoid an issue next season (light weaping last year)... Good thing...three of the heads broke off at the top of the head, so they probably wouldnt have taken any torque before breaking.

Question for you j.... (Or others). Does stainless help prevent them from rusting into the manafold and/or getting seized? Or do you use lubricant? AntiSeize? . (I got em out without drilling but three were a bugger; Hope to prevent this issue next time.. Riser gaskets ordered and surfaces prepped.)

Anyone use orange gasket sealer in addition to the gaskets?

cj

Lumbergh
11-03-2012, 08:21 PM
When I removed / replaced the right side manifold last winter, I used new SS bolt kit from skidim and used the included gasket, no sealant. Worked fine, no leaks.

ctjahn
11-04-2012, 09:09 AM
Whats the torque spec?

I assume you do a chris-cross config like a wheel to ensure even torque? (Like a wheel?)

Cj

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
11-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Whats the torque spec?

I assume you do a chris-cross config like a wheel to ensure even torque? (Like a wheel?)

Cj

I used black oxide bolts on my exhaust.
18-24 ft. lb. starting with center bolts and working towards ends.