PDA

View Full Version : Waterski Jumping gone bad!

erkoehler
09-06-2005, 09:59 PM
My brother skis for the Min-Aqua Bats waterski show in Northern Wi, and just to show how dangerous the jumping event can be here are a couple photos of his leg :eek:

He now has a 14 inch metal plate in his leg from just below the hip to just above the knee on his femur bone. 4 separate breaks in total!

OUCH!!! :eek:

Photo below is VERY GRAPHIC!!!!

erkoehler
09-06-2005, 10:00 PM
one more shot :cry:

bcampbe7
09-06-2005, 10:05 PM
UH, that's gonna leave a mark!

Here's hoping for a speeding recovery for your brother Eric! :toast:
How did it happen?

Is that some of BigMac's handy work?

Danimal
09-06-2005, 10:09 PM
Damn!! What was he trying to do? A gainer or a heli or something?

erkoehler
09-06-2005, 10:12 PM
UH, that's gonna leave a mark!

Here's hoping for a speeding recovery for your brother Eric! :toast:
How did it happen?

Is that some of BigMac's handy work?

He has been jumping for 2 or 3 years now, and this happened on the last jump of his set. He had already landed the first 7 and this happened on the 8th! Basically, from what I understand he was doing ride overs with alittle pop and cut prior to the ramp.... :noface:

stevo137
09-06-2005, 10:24 PM
Sorry to hear the news Erk.
Give him our best.
We hope for a speedy recovery.

erkoehler
09-06-2005, 10:25 PM
He will be on cruches for another 8 weeks or so! This accident actually happened right at the end of June, but I haven't had time to put up the pics.

Ric
09-06-2005, 10:28 PM
here's to his speedy recovery erk, that looks nasty

RickDV
09-06-2005, 10:33 PM
I feel bad for your brother. I can imagine how bad he felt the rest of the summer as his team continued on without him. Wish him a speedy recovery!

ski_king
09-07-2005, 07:37 AM
Ouch!
How is he doing now?
Hope he is back at it in the spring.

erkoehler
09-07-2005, 08:12 AM
Ouch!
How is he doing now?
Hope he is back at it in the spring.

He has to have the plate taken back out in 18 months. So, he can ski in the show next summer, but no jumping ever again.

BriEOD
09-07-2005, 08:14 AM
Ahhh tell him to rub some dirt on it and get back in there. Chicks dig scars. :)

peason
09-07-2005, 08:32 AM
Hope he is doing well. Good ski club - they get a lot of press here in the midwest.

sizzler
09-07-2005, 08:35 AM
dang.....that looks painful........my buddies and i have a 2-3hr session of jumpin' booked for sat afternoon......not jumped since 1990.....gulp

Leroy
09-07-2005, 08:40 AM
:uglyhamme :uglyhamme I've never notice that and have similar scar across my knee!

Ahhh tell him to rub some dirt on it and get back in there. Chicks dig scars. :)

Datdude
09-07-2005, 10:15 AM
Sorry to hear about that. I am kind of surprised I never heard about anyone getting hurt this year. Hopefully the recovery goes well.

Jim@BAWS
09-07-2005, 10:33 AM
He will be on cruches for another 8 weeks or so! This accident actually happened right at the end of June, but I haven't had time to put up the pics.

Nasty looking. I have hit the jump a few times when I was learning

What did he hit? Was he wearing a JUMP SUIT? What part of the jump
did he hit?

WOW

erkoehler
09-07-2005, 10:34 AM
Sorry to hear about that. I am kind of surprised I never heard about anyone getting hurt this year. Hopefully the recovery goes well.

It definetly wasn't a quiet accident. Ambulance, and fire trucks all responded! After it happened, they couldn't lift him back into the boat, or on to the platform because he was in so much pain to they had to swim him in. Both the spotter and the driver were forced to dive in to the water to help him. Luckily, a fisherman saw the acciddent and immediately called 911, and then went to retrieve the boat that was slowly drifting away from the ski site. Not many times you see a SN 196 un manned slowly drifting towards the 51 bridge :D

dog paw
09-07-2005, 06:02 PM
Good God! That looks bad. Hope he make a full comeback and gets back out there!

J. Patterson
09-07-2005, 06:11 PM
reminding myself-----
Too old to jump
Too old to jump
Too old to jump
Too old to jump
Too old to jump
Too old to jump
Too old to jump :noface:

WTRSK1R
09-07-2005, 07:17 PM
Hope he is doing better now that it is near the end of summer. We go to their show every year in August when we spend a week up north. They always put on a great show. Heck this year, we saw the last show of the season and there were only about 10 people left from the team since everyone had left for college. Still was a great show ! Best part of the show was when a jumper crossed over a barefooter, and then after he landed the jump, the barefooter shot over and literally jumped onto the back of the jump skis. :eek: Thought for sure he was tackeling him, but the guy on the jump skis held on and they came around for another pass in front of the crowd with the barefooter still standing on the back of the jump skis. :banana:

Hopefully your brother will still be able to enjoy all the other aspects of waterskiing and continue with the team.

Steve

mcprostar197
09-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Oh sh*t! Did that happen this summer at the show?

erkoehler
01-15-2006, 02:56 AM
Oh sh*t! Did that happen this summer at the show?

Little late w/ my answer, but yes it happened down at the Aqua bowl.

milkmania
01-15-2006, 03:27 PM
Little late w/ my answer, but yes it happened down at the Aqua bowl.

dang good thing they didn't have any sharks in the water!:eek3:

roddydog
01-15-2006, 03:47 PM
That's crazy erk.
(Note to self) no jumping.
Had a friend who is an amazing jumper, skier, boarder and a sky-chair freak, actually still have him.......... he wanted to take me out to a jump but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I think I know why now.
Hope all goes well for him.