PDA

View Full Version : Help-need Colorado snow ski trip recomendations

gts-20
10-18-2012, 01:06 PM
I'm wanting to plan a trip to Colorado in late Jan./Early Feb. to go snow sking. I have family in the Denver area, so would like to fly in and stay with them for a night, then head to a resort for 3-4 nights. Growing up, we always skied in Utah @ Park City. I have only skied Colorado twice in my life. Once @ Winter Park a long time ago (20+ years), and once @ Copper Mountain (10 year ago).

Can anyone recomend a resort/lodge/destination? I would like to plan for a Wed-Sun type of trip. I havn't skied in 8 years, and I am bringing my girlfriend that has never skied before. We are not looking for 5 star accomidations, just something reasonable, preferably ski in/out lodging. I have looked online, but have been affraid to pick something without hearing first hand reviews.

Thanks in advance for your help.

CruisinGA
10-18-2012, 01:51 PM
IMO Stay off-slope and get the multi slope pass and hit up a different area every day. My 3 day trip last year I hit A-basin, Keystone and Beaver Creek.

Wasn't much snow so Vail and Breck were crowded.

mzimme
10-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Is the GF going to take ski school or are you going to teach her? Anymore there is no such thing as affordable when talking about a ski trip. Any of the large resorts you're going to pay close to or upwards of $100/day for the lift ticket during peak season (xmas break, new years, presidents weekend, etc.). It's going to be especially expensive if you want ski in, ski out. I'd recommend VRBO.com to look for something that an owner is renting out rather than a resort property management company, you'll save a lot.

As far as places to go in CO, I've been about everywhere (big resorts anyway). Steamboat, Breck, Keystone, A-basin, Copper, Winter Park, Beaver Creek, Vail, Aspen, Snowmass, Buttermilk, Aspen Highlands, Crested Butte, and probably others I'm forgetting. I have skied out in Utah too at Park City and Deer Valley.

If you want a ski experience like Utah, as far as the snow, you'll need to stick to the resorts further north. Those are Aspen, Snowmass, Highlands, Buttermilk, and Steamboat.

Steamboat is my all time favorite place to ski. In good weather, it's about a 2 1/2 - 3 hour drive from the Denver airport, less than that from the foothills. While it's not "cheap" to go there, it definitely has it's advantages. The best thing about that place is that it's not on the I-70 corridor. You'll find that all the resorts that are easily accessible are also incredibly busy, have a ton of kids weaving in and out everywhere, tend to have worse snow conditions unless they have a crapton of snow, and are also more expensive. Steamboats snow is famously know as champagne powder because of how light and fluffy it is, and it's really fun and easy to ski in if you get good snow out there.

If you're looking to stay within an hour or two to Denver, your choices are going to be Breck, Keystone, A-basin, Copper, Winter Park, Vail, and Beaver Creek. Of all of those, my favorite resort is Beaver Creek. Lots of trails, very cool base area with shopping and that kind of thing right down there in one spot. Albeit, Vail and Beaver Creek are also ridiculous expensive to do anything at. They also don't really have a "town", it's just more of a ski area and the base area is where the activity is.

If you want a great town, nothing beats Breckenridge IMO. Not sure how old you are, but it doesn't really matter there. They have good pizza places, fun local bars, a couple chain restaurants, the Breckenridge Brewery (awesome micro-brews), and the base area is separate from the town. Breck is probably the most expensive lift ticket there is at $111/day (at least that's what it was when I was there last year), but it does have a lot to offer when it comes to night life, dining, etc. Breck is also a very large resort with 4 different mountains. The lift ticket at Breck will work at Keystone, A-basin, and usually good for a day at Vail/Beaver Creek too if you want to take a day and drive a little further. Keystone is about 20-30 minutes from Breck, and A-basin is another 5-10 minutes up the mountain past Keystone. All are good places to ski, but I wouldn't take a beginner to A-basin, she won't have fun. It's much harder terrain and a very old school resort.

Keystone does have a fun base area as well, but not really a downtown area. The "town" of Keystone is actually Dillon, and its a 10 minute drive away.

For someone going out there for their first time, I'd recommend either Steamboat or Breckenridge. Breck just always has things going on. Steamboat's mountain is better, but the town and base area aren't right next to each other and the nightlife isn't quite like Breck's. Also, if you do go out there check www.liftopia.com occasionally and you'll probably find some deals on lift tickets. www.sitzmark.com also has discounted lift tickets... they're local to me so I use them quite often.

Anything else you're curious about, let me know. When are you going to be out there? I'll be in Steamboat the week of Christmas and Breckenridge for a long weekend starting around January 15th.

gts-20
10-18-2012, 02:55 PM
mzimme,

Thank you for the info. Steamboat and Breck sound like a good place to focus. To answer your question, I'm 41 and my girlfriend just turned 40. I want to make sure she enjoys her first snow experience. I'd like to get her either a full day lesson or two half day lessons. I may even take one with her to make her more comfortable.

The main reason I was wanting something ski in/out is I am not really wanting to rent a car. I want to fly into Denver, have family pic us up at the airport, stay with them one night, then head to a resort. Is there any decent shuttle services to either Breck or Steamboat from Denver? I will rent a car if needed. When I skied @ Copper, we rented a car, and drove in a blinding snow storm the whole way. We stayed in Frisco, and drove to Copper each morning. I'd much rather just take a shuttle to where ever we stay and not have to worry about driving. My aunt that lives in Denver mentioned a "ski train" that ran to the mountains from the city, I looked it up and it seems to be shut down. That would have been perfect for what I wanted. The lift ticket prices are about what I expected. I was budgeting for about $80-$100 a day for lift tickets ea., about $50-$70 a day for ski rentals each, and about $200-$250 a night for lodging. Some of the resorts seem to be offering package deals with discounted lift tickets when booked before the end of Nov. I haven't had a chance to check to see if any deals like that are available @ Steamboat or Breck.

ttu
10-18-2012, 03:04 PM
as mzimme said check out vrbo.com for your condo needs. i use them all the time. the ski train only "went" to winter park. he gave really good ideas for you and your gf. i love steamboat and it doesn't get near as packed with people.

there are shuttles van's that go from the airport to the resorts. http://www.goalpine.com/

mzimme
10-18-2012, 03:12 PM
Colorado Mountain Express (CME) does offer shuttle service. I don't know the specifics, but I see those vans going up and down the mountains a lot.

Also, you might check Breck's website for lodging and ski deals. I know Steamboat usually has a "ski free" promotion if you buy a certain number days worth of lodging they give you lift tickets as well. Right now they're offering early ski season rates for $43/day up until December 14th. (Not sure when you plan to head there). http://www.steamboat.com/tickets-and-passes/boat-launch-pass.aspx

Breckenridge would be more friendly as far as having no car. Everything is very centralized and the base to one of the mountains comes right down into town. If you found lodging anywhere around the base of the mountain, you could walk everywhere in the town as well as have easy access to the slopes. Steamboat is a bit more unfriendly to someone without a car. While there are definitely busses that shuttle you between downtown and the base area, it's not nearly as convenient as Breck's setup.

From what it sounds like, if you end up taking CME to get out there, Breck will be more friendly to you and your lack of a vehicle. Right now on Breck's web site they're offering a "Buy 2 nights and 2 days of lift passes, get the third for $1" deal. That might be worth looking into as you're saving $220 on one days worth of lift tickets alone. http://www.breckenridge.com/

My family has a place in both Steamboat and Breck... we love it at both spots. As a younger guy (29) I enjoy the nightlife of Breckenridge a little more. The mountain definitely offers plenty of different terrain, but I will warn you that peak 8 and peak 9 will be very busy. Peak 9 is the mountain that comes all the way into the town. There are tons of resort shuttles around Breckenridge as well, so if you need to get somewhere else that you can't walk to, you shouldn't have a problem.

mzimme
10-18-2012, 03:15 PM
Also, rentals shouldn't cost $75/day unless you're renting demo skis. Check out breeze ski rentals website to give you an idea. Packages usually start more around the $15/day range. Just make sure your gf has comfortable boots... or she'll hate life. haha. I've tought far too many girls how to ski in the past. The ones that do it for more than their first year are the ones that are warm and their feet don't hurt.

gts-20
10-18-2012, 03:22 PM
as mzimme said check out vrbo.com for your condo needs. i use them all the time. the ski train only "went" to winter park. he gave really good ideas for you and your gf. i love steamboat and it doesn't get near as packed with people.

there are shuttles van's that go from the airport to the resorts. http://www.goalpine.com/

Thanks, My girlfriend used VRBO.com to rent a house on Lake Austin for a week as a present for my 40th b-day. We were very happy with the service. I did check vrbo for places at Winter Park we I first started this. For example, there were ski in.out condos @ Zephyr Mountain Lodge on there, but when I check Zephyr's website, they had better deals booking direct than going through VRBO, and they offered discounted lift tickets. If I can find a package deal, that would be great.

Thanks for the shuttle info. I'll def check that out.

ttu
10-18-2012, 03:24 PM
might also check out iron horse on vrbo. it is also a ski in condos. the only main problem is the only way to get there at the end of the day is to come in on the mary jane side which can be pretty steep for a beginner.

gts-20
10-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Colorado Mountain Express (CME) does offer shuttle service. I don't know the specifics, but I see those vans going up and down the mountains a lot.

Also, you might check Breck's website for lodging and ski deals. I know Steamboat usually has a "ski free" promotion if you buy a certain number days worth of lodging they give you lift tickets as well. Right now they're offering early ski season rates for $43/day up until December 14th. (Not sure when you plan to head there). http://www.steamboat.com/tickets-and-passes/boat-launch-pass.aspx

Breckenridge would be more friendly as far as having no car. Everything is very centralized and the base to one of the mountains comes right down into town. If you found lodging anywhere around the base of the mountain, you could walk everywhere in the town as well as have easy access to the slopes. Steamboat is a bit more unfriendly to someone without a car. While there are definitely busses that shuttle you between downtown and the base area, it's not nearly as convenient as Breck's setup.

From what it sounds like, if you end up taking CME to get out there, Breck will be more friendly to you and your lack of a vehicle. Right now on Breck's web site they're offering a "Buy 2 nights and 2 days of lift passes, get the third for $1" deal. That might be worth looking into as you're saving $220 on one days worth of lift tickets alone. http://www.breckenridge.com/

My family has a place in both Steamboat and Breck... we love it at both spots. As a younger guy (29) I enjoy the nightlife of Breckenridge a little more. The mountain definitely offers plenty of different terrain, but I will warn you that peak 8 and peak 9 will be very busy. Peak 9 is the mountain that comes all the way into the town. There are tons of resort shuttles around Breckenridge as well, so if you need to get somewhere else that you can't walk to, you shouldn't have a problem.

Thank you so much again for this information. This is stuff you can't find out just searching the net. I knew i could count on the MC family to help me out.

We are planning on going sometime between the last week of Jan. and the first week in Feb. I will look into booking something either @ Breck or Steamboat. From what it sounds like, we would be better off @ Breck, but I want my GF to look at both and see what she thinks. We still like to hit up a bar or three in our old age. lol...

jdl xstar
10-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Thank you so much again for this information. This is stuff you can't find out just searching the net. I knew i could count on the MC family to help me out.

We are planning on going sometime between the last week of Jan. and the first week in Feb. I will look into booking something either @ Breck or Steamboat. From what it sounds like, we would be better off @ Breck, but I want my GF to look at both and see what she thinks. We still like to hit up a bar or three in our old age. lol...

Breck is great. I say its one of the best all around ski resorts in CO. Nice town with a good main street... large mountain with lots of diverse terrain... and its closer to Denver than most other resorts. Funny, I will be in Vail during end of jan and early Feb. Never been to Vail so i wanted to try out the big daddy mountain out there.

Been to Steamboat a few times and the mountain is one of the best IMHO, but the town is a short drive from the mountain base which is a negative. Its nice to have everything right at the base which is what most resorts have.

shepherd
10-18-2012, 04:27 PM
Wife and I go to Breckenridge every December before the busy season. As said already, it's a real mountain town so they have a lot to offer away from the slopes -- good restaurants and bars.

So far we've stayed at the Mountain Thunder Lodge (ski in but not out) and Crystal Peak Lodge (liftside, ski in and out, ski rental shop on premises). We usually visit family in Denver during the weekend and then head up to Breck on Monday for 4 nights. Crystal Peak is probably one of the nicest places on the slopes, but when I checked the price was only a few hundred $$ more (total) than the cheaper 3 star ski in/out places. Not saying they're cheap, just the other places are that expensive. I always look for lodging/skiing packages. This year, 1 BR condo, 4 nights, with two 4-day lift tickets is going to run us about $2,000 total. Keep in mind, though, that if bought separately the lift tickets alone would cost around $800.

Mountain Thunder is a bit cheaper. Both places have free shuttle service that will take you anyplace in town and pick you up later. We always rent a car, but now I'm going to check into a shuttle since we never have to use the car in Breckenridge.

h2oskifreak
10-19-2012, 11:12 AM
My choice would be Snowmass/Aspen. Snowmass has affordable lodging and is close to Aspen for a change for a day trip or visit for dinner. I don't know if this is your type of thing, but a few years ago I took my 10 y/o to a place in Snowmass called Krublinik Kennels(sp?). We went for a really cool dogsled tour and had a wild game lunch afterwords. Our sled fit 3 and it wasn't cheap, but what is anymore? It was something he and I will never forget. Hope you have fun.

Kyle's_prostar205
10-19-2012, 12:15 PM
I would recommed Keystone. They have good snow, fun mountain and pricing is pretty average for the area. It is nt far from Denver and easy to get to off I-70. They also have the skating pond and night life around the base of the mountian. Don't forget the night skiing as well. Sounds like you have gotten alot of good advice so far but thought I would throw out my two cents worth as a Colorado native.

Kyle

Dylan
10-19-2012, 12:44 PM
to echo what everyone else on here is saying, Breckenridge is my favorite. I went to college in Colorado and managed to hit every single ski park in the state. We have a time share at the Grand Timber Lodge, and spend the week of Thanksgiving there every year. The lift prices are expensive but well worth it. Even on the busiest day you can work the top of the mountain and not wait in lift lines! Good luck!

mzimme
10-19-2012, 12:49 PM
I would recommed Keystone. They have good snow, fun mountain and pricing is pretty average for the area. It is nt far from Denver and easy to get to off I-70. They also have the skating pond and night life around the base of the mountian. Don't forget the night skiing as well. Sounds like you have gotten alot of good advice so far but thought I would throw out my two cents worth as a Colorado native.

Kyle

I tend to disagree about Keystone. While I think the resort is great, the snow is usually terrible. Unless summit county as a whole has a bunch of snow at the time, keystone just tends to get very icey and very crowded, especially on the few trails that make to the bottom of the hill.

Night skiing is fun once, but that's about it. Once you experience how cold it is, the shadows everywhere, and the layer of ice, you'll never want to do it again. 8p

My opinion of course :)

bobx1
10-19-2012, 02:25 PM
My choice would be Snowmass/Aspen. Snowmass has affordable lodging and is close to Aspen for a change for a day trip or visit for dinner. I don't know if this is your type of thing, but a few years ago I took my 10 y/o to a place in Snowmass called Krublinik Kennels(sp?). We went for a really cool dogsled tour and had a wild game lunch afterwords. Our sled fit 3 and it wasn't cheap, but what is anymore? It was something he and I will never forget. Hope you have fun.

X2

I learned to ski at Snowmass close to 35 years ago. Have skied mutliple resorts since and it was the best Mtn I have ever skied. Plus in that area, you have options of Aspen (AJAX), Aspen Highlands, Buttermilk, and Snowmass (skied all four) and as H2O said, a trip into Aspen is great fun.

mzimme
10-19-2012, 02:47 PM
X2

I learned to ski at Snowmass close to 35 years ago. Have skied mutliple resorts since and it was the best Mtn I have ever skied. Plus in that area, you have options of Aspen (AJAX), Aspen Highlands, Buttermilk, and Snowmass (skied all four) and as H2O said, a trip into Aspen is great fun.

Aspen is awesome, agreed. Just not cheap. If you're at the snowmass side it's really not friendly to a person without a car since most of everything happens in the town of aspen. Great area though.

bcd
10-19-2012, 03:23 PM
If any of your family out there get season passes, you could hit them up for buddy passes while you're there. Each season pass comes with a certain number of buddy passes, which are just discounted single day lift tickets.

jdl xstar
10-19-2012, 04:17 PM
Aspen is awesome, agreed. Just not cheap. If you're at the snowmass side it's really not friendly to a person without a car since most of everything happens in the town of aspen. Great area though.

Aspen town is nice but the mountain itself is very overrated. Snowmass is the place to go if you are in that area. Very cool mountain and LOTS of ski in/out lodging.

jamisonsbrodie
10-19-2012, 04:29 PM
Vail is my favorite of all of them. Great terrain and great nightlife. Lots of lodging options in Vail village or Lionshead and lots of VRBO options as well (all within walking distance). Breck is a cool town but the skiing can't compare to Vail, IMO. As far a crowds go, weekends are crowded at all of them, but once you move up the mountain, you can avoid a lot of the lines. Steamboat is cool, but more out of the way than the rest. BTW, new gondola will be opening this year too.

FYI, discount lift tix are available at King Soopers for Keystone, A-basin, Winter Park and others (not Vail or BC though)

tmacx2
10-19-2012, 05:22 PM
Is there anywhere to get discount tickets for Breckenridge or Beaver Creek?

madcityskier
10-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Big fan of Winter Park, and the ski train from Denver is kind of different. Steamboat was a great mountain and a great town, but as mentioned it's a long way from anything.

VRS Fan
10-19-2012, 09:03 PM
Agree on previous post on Steamboat, snow is drier and closer to what you get in Utah.

VRS Fan
10-19-2012, 09:05 PM
Steamboat for the snow, Brek for more night life.

east tx skier
10-19-2012, 09:15 PM
In my opinion, for the variety in terrain, there is no beating Snowmass. I have been skiing since birth and have never found anything I love more than Snowmass. However, for a quick weekend trip from Denver, I think Copper is your best bet. I love Steamboat as well, but it's far enough to be enough of a drive as Snowmass is. Breckenridge is fine, but not my favorite.

ttu
10-19-2012, 10:02 PM
i learned to ski breck back in the 70's. i think it has gotten way to busy. but i did enjoy seeing my ex wife get wiped out by a newbie snowboarder when we were going thru out divorce!:D:D

2RLAKE
10-20-2012, 01:18 AM
Steamboat Springs ... We went there over Christmas two years ago and had a terrific time ... New snow every day .. Spectacular

We are heading to Jackson Hole formChrustmas this year ...more pricey but we want to try it out as I've never been there

d2jp
10-20-2012, 09:38 AM
I was part owner of a lodge/ski shop/bike shop in Winter Park until a few years ago. I've skied about every resort in CO, and Steamboat, while a very cool town was my least favorite to ski.

The Ski Train no longer operates - sad b/c it was a very cool thing.

Ski/in/out is nice, but you can save a ton by staying in town and using the bus system to get to the ski area(s). Food is less expensive this way too. Some of the older properties though, can be noisy and very basic. But if you are there for the skiing that really won't matter. However if you want a little more 'plush' look for the newer units and be prepared to pay for it.

Winter Park/Mary Jane is laid back and affordable, with a cool town vibe. WP is not as easy to negotiate for beginner skiers as Copper, which is convenient/affordable but not much 'town' feel. Vail is really hard to beat for everything (terrain, amenities, etc) although it's pricier.

After spending part of my life where it snows 400" per year I'm in search of sand, sea and palm trees and a private lake. A guy can always dream:)

madcityskier
10-20-2012, 10:43 AM
Ski train died? That sucks. It was an awesome way to come in looking up at the mountain. There's an Irish pub style restaurant in Winter Park that had a lobster/mac with aged cheddar and bacon in it that is highly recommended.

mzimme
10-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Is there anywhere to get discount tickets for Breckenridge or Beaver Creek?

Check liftopia.com often.

Hogwild
10-20-2012, 10:49 AM
I've skiied Vail, Breck, Copper, and Keystone. We usually head out the very first week of January which is nice because the Christmas vacation people are just leaving and the prices drop pretty much in half for places to stay. Like others said, I would use VRBO.

That being said, my favorite place to stay is Keystone. 2 reasons....(1) they offer night skiing, so even though I had to help the girlfriend/wife learn to ski most of the day, I can go up and get a few runs at night by myself so I feel like I got my money's worth. (2) price. For the same price that I pay to stay slopeside, most others have to stay further out. Once again, if they wife gets tired, I walk her back to the condo and go back out.

BTW, free shuttle from Keystone to Breck runs every 10-15 min so it's an easy lift back and forth.

My favorite place to stay: Cinnamon Ridge. The condos are a little older but they offer a lot more space than the newer ones and most of the owners do a good job of keeping them up.

PM me if you'd like recommendations b/c I have a few still bookmarked from previous stays.

Hogwild
10-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Check liftopia.com often.

Cheapest tickets you will find is if you know someone who is in the military. If so, your buddy can order them from the Air Force base in CO springs. I've done this in the past through my bro-in-law.

Thrall
10-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Bottom line all the places are awesome. IMO it's about where the most fresh snow is at and you have the best chance of a powder day at probably Steamboat, vail or Snowmass. Keystone is great too for night skiing and just a shuttle ride to A basin for the day.

jdl xstar
10-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Cheapest tickets you will find is if you know someone who is in the military. If so, your buddy can order them from the Air Force base in CO springs. I've done this in the past through my bro-in-law.

Please expand on this... I have a friend who is in the air force and is spending the next month in CO Springs for training. Is this a military program or something through each resort direct or liftopia... ? Thanks. (I'm heading to Vail in late Jan)

Hogwild
10-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Please expand on this... I have a friend who is in the air force and is spending the next month in CO Springs for training. Is this a military program or something through each resort direct or liftopia... ? Thanks. (I'm heading to Vail in late Jan)

Your friend wouldn't even have to be in CO Springs to get these tickets. He just has to be in the military. It's a military discount like many others for governmental employees. I think the tickets are supposed to be used for military personnel and their families, but I've never had any issue. He is my bro-in-law, but he hasn't always been present when we've gotten the tickets scanned and the lift people could care less. And if you're buddy is going with you, it won't be an issue at all.

I think what he has done in the past is just made a call to Peterson airforce base and inquire about them. If not, they will surely know of the base that sells them.

One thing I will warn you...don't try and resell the ones that you don't use. Several people tried this years ago and it got their military friends in some hot water because they traced it to their names. I don't know if they just happened to have been perusing Ebay/craigslist or how they tracked it, but you definitely wouldn't want that to happen.

gts-20
10-22-2012, 03:16 PM
Wow! Thank you all for the information. This really helps. We are going to weigh our options tonight and book something in the next day or two. We have at least narrowed the duration of our stay down to 4 days of skiing. At first we were leaning towards Winter Park, then swayed towards Breck, thought about Steamboat, now we are considering Winter Park again. All this information is great! You can't get these types of real, first hand reviews online.

Thrall
10-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Winter Park/MJ is one of my favorite hills. Maybe because I've had more "snorkel" powder days there than other places.
The only downfall is that being on the front range side, sometimes WP gets skunked for snow when the Western Slope resorts get pounded.
Not a huge concern, especially if your SO is a beginner. WP has alot of long easy runs.

Rockymtn
10-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Check out the Grand Timber Lodge, www.grandtimber.com fantastic place within a very short walk to take lifts to mountain and ski school. The town of Breckenridge has enough to do to keep you busy for 3 days. You can easily get to Keystone, A-basin or Cooper Mountain if you want to try some other ski areas. I live in CO and have skied just about all of them and you canít go wrong with the Breckenridge

Hogwild
10-22-2012, 08:37 PM
Maybe I should have read the first of the thread a little closer. If you both are beginners or you need more beginner runs than intermediate, I would say definitely start at Breck. Keystone is fun but they don't have a lot of greens to get started on and the ones they do have get overrun pretty quickly. And if you start getting to the point where you can handle blues relatively easily, hop on the shuttle and give Keystone a shot. I can't speak for Winterpark as I've never been.

snobinge
10-24-2012, 09:51 AM
I have skiied Breck, A Basin, Vail, and Beaver Creek. I have spent time in Steamboat in the off Season. In Utah I have skiied Brighton, Snobird, The Canyons, Park City, and Deer Valley.

In reading the description of you and your wifes ability and interests I would recommend Breck or Vail. I give Breck the nod for nightlife and Vail for skiing.

With that being said I would choose Utah...for the skiing not nightlife...over Colorado! ;)

I have not been on skiis in two years. With two little ones my trips west are limited and the feeling of over the hood powder and 160Hp between my legs has beat out skiing/boarding. Sure wish I had more time to ski Jackson Hole while riding at Togwotee!

mzimme
10-26-2012, 11:19 AM
I saw these come up... wanted to pass them along:

Beaver creek - http://www.beavercreek.com/Plan-Your-Trip/Vacation-Deals-and-Packages/Offer-Details.aspx?ProductID=BC_2012_BCRP_EPIC-HOLIDAY-PKG&cmpid=BACBC4834

Steamboat - http://www.steamboat.com/tickets-and-passes/boat-launch-pass.aspx

This Steamboat deal is one heck of a deal if you can make the dates work.

mzimme
11-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Beaver Creek deal... free night stay and day of skiing. Not sure long you have to book for, but decent deal:
http://www.beavercreek.com/Plan-Your-Trip/Vacation-Deals-and-Packages/Offer-Details.aspx?ProductID=BC_2012_VBCR_SFSF_VP&cmpid=BACBC4785

jdl xstar
01-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Heading out tomorrow for Vail! Can't wait and even more excited since they've been getting some fresh snow lately. Anyone else heading to the mountains soon?

bcd
01-30-2013, 11:16 AM
I'm skiing Telluride, Silverton (hopefully), and Durango Feb 16th-23rd.

Tri4X2
01-30-2013, 12:11 PM
Heading out tomorrow for Vail! Can't wait and even more excited since they've been getting some fresh snow lately. Anyone else heading to the mountains soon?

Vails lift prices went up this year to something like $120. Snowboarded Steamboat this year and we got 3 feet in 3 days. Just ready they got 24 inches in two days. Great place and very laid back. Also, Steamboat is not as busy as Vail, Breck, and others because it's off the "Beaten" path.

We are setting a trip for the Boat in March....

mzimme
01-30-2013, 12:31 PM
This was Christmas day in steamboat

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/zimstang/Screenshot_2013-01-30-11-25-26.png

Here's a couple weeks later up by steamboat lake playing on some sleds

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/zimstang/Screenshot_2013-01-30-11-26-09.png

Here was Breckenridge a couple weeks ago. Im in the dog costume. I chased the hot dog under the lift all day since groomers was all Breck had that was worth a damn with the snow they had. One of the most fun ski days I've had.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/zimstang/Screenshot_2013-01-30-11-26-25.png

Sorry for the phone screen shots. All I could manage at work at the moment. Notice how much better the snow is in Steamboat ;)

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

Tri4X2
01-30-2013, 12:33 PM
we where at Steamboat the same days.... I was there Christmas Day throught New Years.... Powder Central!!

mzimme
01-30-2013, 12:35 PM
we where at Steamboat the same days.... I was there Christmas Day throught New Years.... Powder Central!!

I've been going to Steamboat the past 15 years, and this was easily some of the best snow I've ever had the pleasure of riding in. It was amazing. Do you guys venture off under the Pony Express lift? There were all kinds of great stashes over there.

Tri4X2
01-30-2013, 12:40 PM
I've been going to Steamboat the past 15 years, and this was easily some of the best snow I've ever had the pleasure of riding in. It was amazing. Do you guys venture off under the Pony Express lift? There were all kinds of great stashes over there.

we have some friends that are locals and have given us some spots, that was one of them. I bought a new Board this year and could hang with the guys in the trees.... tons of fun stuff. We only hang at The Boat now, seems to be every Christmas. This year was better than two years ago!!

mzimme
01-30-2013, 12:47 PM
we have some friends that are locals and have given us some spots, that was one of them. I bought a new Board this year and could hang with the guys in the trees.... tons of fun stuff. We only hang at The Boat now, seems to be every Christmas. This year was better than two years ago!!

Agreed... I think two years ago they had a better base, and still soft snow, but nothing beats riding in 2ft+ of powder. There were places that I still skimmed over hidden rocks this year, so they definitely could benefit by a better base, but I'll take it.

The first year we went out there, I remember driving over rabbit ears pass with my parents in their suburban and along the pass there was so much snow that there was literally a carved out pathway following the road. Those double high reflector poles were completely buried. The plow trucks had a giant snowblower attachemnt on the front of them so they could keep clearing the roads. That was some amazing snow just by the sheer amounts they had that year, but this year beat them in quality of powder. It was just too fun... and so light that it didn't even wear on you too terribly all things considered.

I'm usually out there every year around Christmas/New Years as well... we'll have to take a run or two if we're there at the same time one of these years.

h2oskifreak
01-30-2013, 01:29 PM
Steamboat or Telluride are way better than Aspen/Vail areas right now. The snow has been the pits in the 1-70 located resorts. Go north or South in Colorado right now if you want good conditions.

Tri4X2
01-30-2013, 04:38 PM
The first year we went out there, I remember driving over rabbit ears pass with my parents in their suburban and along the pass there was so much snow that there was literally a carved out pathway following the road. Those double high reflector poles were completely buried. The plow trucks had a giant snowblower attachemnt on the front of them so they could keep clearing the roads.

You mean like this pic?

Forrest-X45
01-30-2013, 05:13 PM
Nah....like this. :D This pic was taken in July while the DOT was trying to open the highway.

CruisinGA
01-30-2013, 05:46 PM
Nah....like this. :D This pic was taken in July while the DOT was trying to open the highway.

If it still looks like that, and it's July, don't you just write off that highway for the year? :eek:

mzimme
01-30-2013, 06:40 PM
You mean like this pic?

Just like that! :D