PDA

View Full Version : Shoulda waited..

clrussell
10-18-2012, 11:30 AM
Ok so last Sunday I went to the lake for what I thought to be the last time this year. So I stabiled the fuel, and when the day was over I fogged through the intake with marvel mystery oil, then went home and changed the oil and cleaned the boat out completely. Havnt drained the block yet though. So my big question is how would be the best way to go about de fogging for this Sunday?? I'm thinking remove the impeller and try to start it before I go down to the lake (45 min drive)? It's suppose to be almost 80 Sunday and I just got my prostar this August and don't want to give up yet if I have the chance to go again. My brother is in town and missed last weekend. So we are both a 12 on a scale of 1-10 to go boarding. Not to mention I got a new wakeboard for my birthday and have only been on it once. What's the best way to get the fogger out?? Thanks guys!

Sent by the new iPhone 5!

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Why would you remove the impeller? So you can start it without water I suppose. Much easier to hook up the hose remove lanyard turn engine over a few minutes and then fire it up let it run for a few minutes to burn off the mystery oil then head to the lake.:twocents:

Thrall
10-18-2012, 11:40 AM
What he said^.
Wish I was going to the lake this weekend!

CantRepeat
10-18-2012, 11:48 AM
To be honest since you just fogged it, I would just take it to the lake as is and fire it up like normal.

Jason.H.
10-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Even after mine sitting last winter I just hooked up the hose and started it..am I supposed to remove safety lanyard and let it turn over some before starting it?? It started right up this past spring, ran smooth and smoked like a freight train for a couple minutes haha.

clrussell
10-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Should I pull the impeller and start it at home just to make sure it'll start before I'm sitting at the boat ramp

clrussell
10-18-2012, 12:01 PM
O yea I don't have a fake a lake or anything to start it out of the water is why I was going to pull the impeller

Thrall
10-18-2012, 12:15 PM
I'd fre it up at home and burnthe fogging oil out.
First you'll look like a wally smoking out the boat ramp, 2nd you may foul a sparkplug, easier to change in the driveway.

Don't need a fake alake. Just disconnect the the water intake hose, stick a garden hose in it.
Fire the boat up then immediately turn on the water. I don't suggest turning on the water first unless you know you can start it very quickly. It's possible without the engine running to fill the exhaust manifolds and hydrolock the engine.
It won't hurt the engine or impeller to run for 30sec or so after starting before sending it water.

clrussell
10-18-2012, 12:21 PM
Ok thanks! I'll pull the intake hose and stick the Water hose in it, should I tape it or hose clamp it in there?

homer12
10-18-2012, 02:24 PM
just use the hose clamp that should already be on it.

clrussell
10-18-2012, 02:26 PM
Ok thanks guys, I'll do this tonight after work

BrooksfamX2
10-18-2012, 02:30 PM
To be honest since you just fogged it, I would just take it to the lake as is and fire it up like normal.

X2

It may smoke for a couple minutes but should be OK........

strad
10-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Ok thanks! I'll pull the intake hose and stick the Water hose in it, should I tape it or hose clamp it in there?

I use an appropriately sized washing machine drain hose (about 1 foot long), hose clamp the hose on one end, and hose clamp the other end to the trans cooler. Be aware that it is VERY easy to overwhelm the garden hose's ability to supply water -- for me this is pretty much any speed above idle. A bucket would be a better choice -- it provides a reservoir.

BrandonKTM
10-18-2012, 05:44 PM
You really just need a second set of hands. One to start the boat and the second to hold the hose with a regular sprayer on it. As you crank it over start spraying water in. It will smoke a lot, but no reason to remove the impeller ( if you can remove a hose and get water to the impeller, that is best as it lubricates the rubber and prevents instant shredded impeller, although since you just had it running, there is probably still water in the impeller). It will take a while for the engine to get hot enough to exceed the cooling cap of the reduced water intake as there is no load on the engine sitting on your trailer. By then the smoke is long gone...

clrussell
10-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Thanks guys, soon as I get my 71 back together so I can drive home I'm gonna de-fog it and be ready for the weekend. Hope the neighbors don't mind a little smoke!

CCAnderson
10-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Run to the local home improvement store. pick up a toilet plunger and two female garden hose repair kits and find a piece of old garden hose. Not to fancy but it works when in a bind. the trick is to saw off the plunger handle to a length where you can wedge it between the boat and driveway. I know this is not the best way but you can run the boat on the trailer until it hit operating temperature. I used a spent 9mm casing to cut the hole in the plunger.

Nordicron
10-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Well I'm of the opinion that you just take that thing to the lake and go! But you really should eventually figure a way to run that baby in the drive way. The plunger fake a lake is one option but there are many other ways you can do it also. And I'm of the opinion that you don't need to run it from a bucket as the hose will provide plenty of cooling water to engine. Have fun and next time don't put that baby away so dang early! I'm in WI and won't winterize till dec 1st!

clrussell
10-19-2012, 11:56 AM
If I can find myself a wetsuit and a driver I might not put it away until I can't stand it anymore. I've got a few other toys to get me through the winter though!