PDA

View Full Version : propeller turning in neutral

Wouter
10-18-2012, 11:23 AM
Pulled my prostar 190 out of the water last weekend for winterization. Noticed that the propeller still turned a bit in neutral whil on the trailer. Is this normal?

east tx skier
10-18-2012, 12:12 PM
It's normal, but it is not supposed to do that. The clutch pack develops a glaze as the parts age.

mikeg205
10-19-2012, 04:33 AM
I noticed new fluid reduces the symptom on my 95 with TBI and 1:1 - was surprised to see that.

Wouter
10-19-2012, 07:56 AM
Thanks for your answers. Will try changing the tranny oil and see if it makes a difference. How much rotation should I start worrying about? My prop was rotating about 1 revolution per second...

mikeg205
10-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks for your answers. Will try changing the tranny oil and see if it makes a difference. How much rotation should I start worrying about? My prop was rotating about 1 revolution per second...

It's very common - I wouldn't worry about it.

Kyle
10-19-2012, 01:43 PM
It's very common - I wouldn't worry about it.

Agree

I have new synthetic fluid in mine and I have all new clutches, springs, plates, front pump, and seals in my tranny and it spins as the op is describing.

Not a big deal

Change the fluid if it has 100 hrs on it and call it good.

TRBenj
10-19-2012, 02:33 PM
You may want to reconsider the use of synthetic in your transmission. Its generally regarded as a no-no in a wet clutch transmission (like those used in motorcycles). Word is that its too slippery, and causes premature failure. PCM specifically warns against the use of synthetic in their transmissions... conventional dex/merc (or dex iii) is the way to go. Avoid high mileage formulations and all additives.

A "dirty neutral" is a sign of a worn tranny... so while it is not proper behavior, it is not exactly abnormal. You should notice that its worse when the engine (and tranny) are cold. If it ever gets to the point where it pushes the boat noticeably in neutral, consider getting it rebuilt. Of course, you should be aware of the potential safety hazard as well.

mikeg205
10-20-2012, 01:25 AM
You may want to reconsider the use of synthetic in your transmission. Its generally regarded as a no-no in a wet clutch transmission (like those used in motorcycles). Word is that its too slippery, and causes premature failure. PCM specifically warns against the use of synthetic in their transmissions... conventional dex/merc (or dex iii) is the way to go. Avoid high mileage formulations and all additives.

A "dirty neutral" is a sign of a worn tranny... so while it is not proper behavior, it is not exactly abnormal. You should notice that its worse when the engine (and tranny) are cold. If it ever gets to the point where it pushes the boat noticeably in neutral, consider getting it rebuilt. Of
course, you should be aware of the potential safety hazard as well.

ZF/Hurth Tranny's like it cool... here's a tech tip I found. http://www.foleyengines.com/resources/tech-tips/zfhurth-marine-transmissions-six-step-program