PDA

View Full Version : Question for some of you 197 owners...

aswinter05
10-17-2012, 08:36 PM
I've been looking at a few 2003+ 197's. Most of the ones I'm finding are either X-7's or TT's with a factory tower.

I've never desired a tower since we don't wakeboard. It would be sweet to play some tunes really loud while I'm running a set on the course, however :D

My question... Has anyone skied behind a 197 WITH and a 197 WITHOUT a tower? If so, could you honestly tell a difference in the size of the wakes due to the added weight??

Thanks for the help!

ncsone
10-17-2012, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I have skied my 05 197 TT with the tower on and off. There is a difference, but it is a very small one. To really notice any difference, I have to have the tower off and pretty much every ounce of extra weight out of the boat, then I can notice a slightly flatter wake. I have a full size tower and can take it off by myself - my guess is that the whole assembly is less than 100 lbs (prob closer to 60), so it makes less difference than having 1 other person in the boat.

jkski
10-17-2012, 09:24 PM
While I am sure you will get several opinions on this question from skiers of various levels, I will tell you that I am an above average course skier who has owned 2 197's with full towers (2002 and 2005) and currently have a 2008 without a tower and my honest opinion is I do not notice any difference. I would love to add a mini-tower to my 2008 and will when the finances allow, I would add the full tower however I think the mini looks better on the 197.
Most skiers have so many other things that they need to improve on which are effecting their ability more in the course, but a wake is an easy thing to blame. Truth is, for me, the wake on a 197 with a tower and 3 people on board will never be the reason why I do not run a pass, it will be my inconsistent approach and bad habits! (just the truth)

The tower is a nice feature for storing gear, pulling barefooting and if a wakeboarder happens to come along, it serves their purpose as well.

Hope this helps.

east tx skier
10-17-2012, 09:27 PM
Having skied behind Neil's, boat, I can attest to how much attention he pays to detail on these sorts of things. Any weight over about 60 or so pounds is going to make some sort of difference. In my Nautique (the most weight sensitive boat I know), it is so weight sensitive, you literally can't have someone sitting too far to port in the observer seat or it will throw the wake off. But when it's spot on, it's top notch. So a tower will surely make a difference. I don't care what boat it is. On the upside, you can remove it, fill the holes, and sell it for an easy profit if you want to.

I could compare this to other years I have skied that do not have a tower, but the honest truth is that there is a discernible difference between 197s from various years. Even without the tower, I don't think I have ever been in any two 197s that skied just alike.

shepherd
10-17-2012, 11:12 PM
I think the answer is that all of these boats ski differently, but they all ski GOOD. You're thinking about this too much (I know, I do the same thing when I'm shopping for a big purchase like this :rolleyes:).

That said, I'd never buy a boat with a tower unless it's a great deal and there's not a similar non-tower boat available. We don't board either, so for me a tower would just be a big ugly useless appendage that would get in the way and keep me from fitting my boat in the garage. If I bought a tower boat, I'd probably remove the thing and sell it or keep it for future resale.

sk8salomon
10-18-2012, 06:45 AM
i can tell more difference driving than skiing behind a boat with tower. as far as a tower iteself, i think it's a win-win even if you don't board or other watersport. i like it best when i have guests in my boat who want to board or even beginner slalom. having the rope pull from the tower seems to help them with deep water starts. plus, it is so much easier to snake the rope to them in the water.

i will also add this, what i CAN tell a difference in is skiing behind an X7 vs. 197. 197 tower vs. no tower is no difference...

jkski
10-18-2012, 08:23 AM
If you end up buying a 2008 with a mini tower and want to sell it, I would be interested. So, knowing this, maybe it makes your search a little easier....maybe not!
Good luck.

MC209
10-18-2012, 09:33 AM
Agreed. Towers just get in the way, hassle to clean your boat when down and in the garage. We have channels from lake to lake here in my town, which require you to take the tower down to go to the next lake. my last boat (2006 tige 22i w/ tower) was just a pain. thats why when I upgraded to a MC I made sure I found a boat with no tower. my two cents

I think the answer is that all of these boats ski differently, but they all ski GOOD. You're thinking about this too much (I know, I do the same thing when I'm shopping for a big purchase like this :rolleyes:).

That said, I'd never buy a boat with a tower unless it's a great deal and there's not a similar non-tower boat available. We don't board either, so for me a tower would just be a big ugly useless appendage that would get in the way and keep me from fitting my boat in the garage. If I bought a tower boat, I'd probably remove the thing and sell it or keep it for future resale.

MC209
10-18-2012, 09:35 AM
and with you getting a 197 for use on the coarse mainly. just skip the tower

TxsRiverRat
10-18-2012, 10:18 AM
The music while in the course: If you're paying attention to the music while you're in the course, your focus is way off. Just sayin. :)

The weight issue: A tower on a 197 has not made any difference to me as a skier, but I am of the opinion that it affects the handling of the boat. It just feels a little more top heavy and rocks side to side. This might be the reason why I've thought my 205 tracks better than a 197.

MC

sk8salomon
10-19-2012, 05:43 AM
if you are only considering a tower for sound upgrades then forget it. put more quality sound IN the boat, not hanging like nutsaks from the tower.

TxsRiverRat
10-19-2012, 10:27 AM
if you are only considering a tower for sound upgrades then forget it. put more quality sound IN the boat, not hanging like nutsaks from the tower.

http://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gif