PDA

View Full Version : question about Ski Rays

docster
10-17-2012, 08:40 PM
I know they are based off the Prostar. The Particular boat i am looking at is the Ski Ray 20ft with 175 hp outboard. I love the open floor plan, and ease of outboard maintenance, but what about build. Are they wood free like its MC cousin? I know MC was wood free, long before other ski boat manufactures, and most others (malibu, supra, CC, etc) went wood free in 1993. What about the ski rays? Would a 1991 Ski ray be wood free like the PS was? Sea Ray still uses wood today, so thats why im concerned. Seller does not know and he is original owner....

Hammer
10-17-2012, 08:56 PM
Buy a Mastercraft and you will not be disappointed. If you want outboard buy a PS200 or barefoot 200. Build quality is way better than the ski ray and no question about wood or not. You get what you pay for in this situation. Good luck whatever you choose. Just my two pennies.

Lars
10-17-2012, 09:03 PM
It has wood in it, I've got a friend with that same boat. There's a soft spot in the floor in the back that needs to be replaced. Good combination between a deep V and a boat that can turn on a dime. Had a lot of small issues with the engine though.

east tx skier
10-17-2012, 09:03 PM
My wife's uncle has a 93 Ski Ray OB. I see no indication that that boat is based on any MasterCraft I have ever seen. They are well built and, from what I have seen of his experience, they are reasonably reliable with the 350 Mercruiser engine. There is a monster bump at 22 off and they don't drive like MCs. I don't have any familiarity with the outboards, but whatever they're using, be it Yamaha or Johnson, is probably fine. No idea on the wood. My guess is they still had it in the floor and seat bottoms at the very least and, in all likelihood, had it in the stringers as well. In 91, most did.

orbeamlb
10-17-2012, 10:54 PM
Don't know much about the Ski Rays but can vouch for the top notch quality of the PS200. Very solid build.

Bouyhead
10-18-2012, 06:19 AM
Not sure about the outboard but ETS was spot on about the 22 off bump on the inboard. They nicknamed that boat the DeathRay.

tex
10-18-2012, 09:17 AM
I drove that outboard ski pro for a summer show in Japan. Did have a nice layout but the show was in a swimming pool where you need something that handled....Buy a Mastercraft!

TxsRiverRat
10-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Was this ever really a question....?

http://www.boatparadise.com/photos/05/05/221916-1-l.jpg

http://www.barefootcentral.com/images/products/detail/boat_ksmith02.jpg

Plymouth Family Guy
10-18-2012, 03:39 PM
My parents have a 1992 Ski Ray outboard. I believe there is some wood in it, but my parent's boat does not have any soft spots in the floor or other structural degeneration that I can find. The boat is fast and nimble.

They replaced the Mercury with a Suzuki 4 stroke 175 hp five years ago which was a great upgrade. Wake is very small at all line lengths. I ski behind it at 28+ off at 34 mph and the wake is great. I barefoot behind it quite a bit. Great overall boat in my opinion.

Ryan
10-19-2012, 12:19 PM
I know they are based off the Prostar. The Particular boat i am looking at is the Ski Ray 20ft with 175 hp outboard. I love the open floor plan, and ease of outboard maintenance, but what about build. Are they wood free like its MC cousin? I know MC was wood free, long before other ski boat manufactures, and most others (malibu, supra, CC, etc) went wood free in 1993. What about the ski rays? Would a 1991 Ski ray be wood free like the PS was? Sea Ray still uses wood today, so thats why im concerned. Seller does not know and he is original owner....

I shopped these quite a bit before I bought my Prostar as I liked the layout as well. The hulls are in no way based on MC's design. The hull is a slightly modified hull and deck 185 OB, neither had tracking fins. The SkiRay model came with a larger engine and swivel spotter seat that were upgrades on the 185 OB. The Skiray had ski-friendly windshield and a ski pylon bolted in front of the engine and some years had a rope guard for the engine. The layout is pretty cool with decent storange and a wrap-around rear bench.

Just as a FYI, The DD's have significant differences and if any resemblance is to be found it's that the 18' Spitfire has some similar features as the '87-90 Prostar but only at the wetted running surface, mostly at the transom. The bow and spray control are very different. The bigger boats with integrated swim platforms have no more similarity than any other inboard.