PDA

View Full Version : Slalom Instruction Videos

tall_ andy
09-06-2005, 09:57 PM
Anyone have suggestions for good instruction videos? I am getting frustrated at the current level and would love to get some tips so I can try them next time out.
Thanks

Andy

TNH2oSkier
09-06-2005, 11:09 PM
Gordon Rathburns 12 Slalom Drills. Cobles ski school, although its not a video, its great instruction.

erkoehler
09-06-2005, 11:40 PM
Try watching a video of yourself. I know it sounds weird, but it is alot easier to judge your form and style. Also, you can be more critical afterwards in the privacy of your own home!

LakePirate
09-13-2005, 12:47 AM
Very true Erkle. Just like anything else if you can see yourself doing it, you can see where you need to improve.

I have the Drew Ross video, it is O.K. Nothing too great.

east tx skier
09-13-2005, 11:22 AM
A bit more $$$, but ski school is the best bang for the buck if you have one available IMO.

bkblaida
09-13-2005, 05:56 PM
I also like Gordon's slalom drills. He breaks down each step to running the course or open water skiing. I also highly endorse Coble ski school. They are great with all levels of skiers. Try to avoid the summer time (already past for this year) as you are skiing with all the national champ wannabe's. While Coble's gives you total personal attention everytime you ski, it can be intimidating when everyone is working at 28 to 32 off and you are trying to make all 6 at 15 off ! Spring and fall you get a lighter enrollment. While Coble's tends to be a 4 day camp, ask them about 2 day schools they are very accomodating. Also as mentioned earlier have someone video your skiing. Easier to correct when you know what you are doing. :toast:

Upper Michigan Prostar190
09-13-2005, 09:03 PM
Ditto on the ski school thing. I went this year for one day and it made my skill level increase alot. I really solved alot of problems I had. slack line, herky jerky turns, big wheelies. I highly recommend even one day of ski school. money very well spent!!!!! :twocents:

PointTaken
09-13-2005, 09:13 PM
Gordon's tape is good. Like anything you are trying to get better at, hang out, or in this case, ski with people better than you. You can watch them and they will help you out with tips. Essentially what you paying a ski school for.

Also, video is great. get a trakker, tape yourself, get in the boat, look at it, and then get back in the water to work on it. It will work wonders.

stevo137
09-13-2005, 09:42 PM
Went to Waterski Cancun this year in February and Scott who runs it helped me with a few things that I have been working on this season.
One thing I will not change is my right hand up.
The video sounds good. I should look into that...

PointTaken
09-13-2005, 09:50 PM
Went to Waterski Cancun this year in February and Scott who runs it helped me with a few things that I have been working on this season.
One thing I will not change is my right hand up.
The video sounds good. I should look into that...
Cancun for ski school? I need a new job :(

stevo137
09-13-2005, 09:58 PM
Cancun for ski school? I need a new job :(

PT, I was there on business and stayed a few extra days. ;)

PointTaken
09-13-2005, 10:00 PM
Like I said, I need a new job, I don't travel to Cancun for work. :) That sounds like a blast.

6ballsisall
09-13-2005, 10:01 PM

Hey Stevo you look like you can tear it up pretty good. I would love some pointers at Mag Fest if you don't mind :popcorn:

stevo137
09-13-2005, 10:12 PM
Like I said, I need a new job, I don't travel to Cancun for work. :) That sounds like a blast.

It's a beautiful place and the weather is outstanding.
I enjoyed it so much that I took my family in At the end of February.
It wasn't really ski school though. I went for one session and the guy gave me some pointers.
I feel like I'm starting to jack this thread. :rolleyes:

stevo137
09-13-2005, 10:15 PM
Hey Stevo you look like you can tear it up pretty good. I would love some pointers at Mag Fest if you don't mind :popcorn:

I'm a stubborn old dog with a few bad habits but I have helped a few over the years.

Leroy
09-13-2005, 10:26 PM
I say we get Stevo out for a few hours with a camcorder and we will have a great instructional video!

I'm a stubborn old dog with a few bad habits but I have helped a few over the years.

stevo137
09-13-2005, 11:51 PM
I say we get Stevo out for a few hours with a camcorder and we will have a great instructional video!
That would be good for a few laughs!

Leroy
09-14-2005, 12:03 AM
I just want to know what is wrong with your ski, the avatar really has a bad spray problem! 8p

stevo137
09-14-2005, 12:14 AM
I just want to know what is wrong with your ski, the avatar really has a bad spray problem! 8p

You'll need to look closer in my gallery to ID that one Leroy. ;)

OK, back to instructional vid discussion.
I'm gonna' buy one of those.