PDA

View Full Version : Help from the GM guys

ProStar190Fan
10-15-2012, 12:06 AM
I am having a weird situation on my 01 Yukon, today as I am exiting the interstate I hear the ding ding ding alarm and I glance at my dash finding nothing. I pull over and turn it off and back on again, my airbag light flashes longer than normal along with the dinging sound but does go off. I would say it stays on twice as long as it should. I haven't pull the circuit breaker to see if there is something wrong with it but is there anything else I should check for. Since the light and alarm extinguishes then everything should be fine. I am at a loss on this one, the vehicle has not been in an accident although it did hit a dear about 3 years ago, damage was only to the chrome on the front bumper and the rest was taken by the brush guard and no air bag deployment.

Thanks for the help,

gotta_ski
10-15-2012, 01:41 AM
Swing by an O'Reilly auto parts store if you have them in your area. They have code readers you can use in the parking lot for free. If you don't have O'Reilly stores another chain in your area should have readers to borrow. It should tell you what the computer is doing. Post back here if you need help interpreting the scan tool output.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-15-2012, 08:31 AM
Generic code readers don't read airbag systems especially the cheapo ones the local auto part stores have.

LTWon
10-15-2012, 08:45 AM
If you have a good relationship with your dealer in your area they will generally pull the codes for you for free. The dealer i used to do business with would always pull the codes and reset them for free.

ProStar190Fan
10-15-2012, 10:02 AM
If you have a good relationship with your dealer in your area they will generally pull the codes for you for free. The dealer i used to do business with would always pull the codes and reset them for free.

The local GM dealer is a pain to work with, I won't even let my vehicle out of my eyesight when I must have something worked on. I will be heading to the dealer which does 99% of the service on the vehicle early in November, the dealer is 400 miles away from where I currently live. It seems the consensus is to get a dealer to look at the codes and see what the computer is doing.

milkmania
10-15-2012, 10:21 AM
The local GM dealer is a pain to work with, I won't even let my vehicle out of my eyesight when I must have something worked on. I will be heading to the dealer which does 99% of the service on the vehicle early in November, the dealer is 400 miles away from where I currently live. It seems the consensus is to get a dealer to look at the codes and see what the computer is doing.

I substitute teach at a local trade school..... I have people come in all the time for the students to read scans for.
Apparently, this particular scan tool set them back $16,000http://deephousepage.com/smilies/conf40.gif

maybe you have one near you that would help?

MLA
10-15-2012, 10:24 AM
Does you Yukon have a Delco battery? if so, inspect the POS post real close for any sign of leakage. The Delco batteries had a number of years run where the POS post would detach from the battery casing and cause low voltage issues. The tell-tale sign was leakage. You can also give the cable a slight tug and it may just pop off the battery with the post attached. In some cases, the leak cause corrosion in the cable and it needed to be replaced.

ProStar190Fan
10-15-2012, 10:36 AM
I do not have a Delco battery, off the top of my head I forget which I have but I will check the connections today.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-15-2012, 12:40 PM
A low voltage battery will not set airbag codes...

D3skier
10-15-2012, 01:15 PM
just did a search on google and found this

Just thought I'd update. I had "a guy" come down to check it out. There is a bulk connector (?) behind the fuse access panel on the drivers side. It groups a bunch of modules together and sends off the info to that gets sent to the dash. It is like a shunt. He unplugged it and tested each module separately and found the airbag module to be bad. Unplugged the airbag module and the only light on the dash (after reconnecting the shunt) was the airbag. In the process now of finding another airbag module..............Bill

Read more: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/80415-ABS-and-Airbag-light-2001-Yukon-XL/page2?#axzz29O9tBM32

ProStar190Fan
10-15-2012, 03:13 PM
just did a search on google and found this

Just thought I'd update. I had "a guy" come down to check it out. There is a bulk connector (?) behind the fuse access panel on the drivers side. It groups a bunch of modules together and sends off the info to that gets sent to the dash. It is like a shunt. He unplugged it and tested each module separately and found the airbag module to be bad. Unplugged the airbag module and the only light on the dash (after reconnecting the shunt) was the airbag. In the process now of finding another airbag module..............Bill

Read more: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/80415-ABS-and-Airbag-light-2001-Yukon-XL/page2?#axzz29O9tBM32

Thanks for the link D3skier

I will have my dealer check the module and for codes when I have some routine stuff done in three weeks. I did also notice that if I buckle my seat belt before starting the engine, I don't get the ding but the light is still on for five seconds then turns off.

Thanks everyone for their input, if the light starts to stay on I will take it to my local dealer otherwise I will have my preferred dealer look at in in a few weeks.

MIMC
10-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Tom -

I see a lot of talk and direction pointing towards the airbag. All I will say, if there was any voltage drop, sensor failure, module concern, etc with the air bag system a light would be on the dash and a code should be set. Also, the chime is typically not for an air bag issue, that is what the light on the dash is for. I'm not convinced you have an air bag concern, but if you feel there is, any GM dealer can check for codes.

Since this happens when you first start the vehicle may I suggest you check your seat belt connection. I suggest checking where you actually insert the buckle, but the harness/connector as well. Check for any possible debris, spilled drink, etc. The chime when you first start your vehicle is typically reserved for seat belt reminder, lights, low fuel, door ajar, low voltage, or some other rather simple concern. The chime may go off if there was an air bag concern, but a light should remain illuminated on your dash as well.

You can PM me if you need more help!

Thanks -
Lee (MIMC)

maxpower220
10-16-2012, 09:05 AM
Isn't that the "time to trade this in" alarm. It reminds you that you should buy a new truck. I doubt it can be reset.

Good luck on finding the module cheap.

GoneBoatN
10-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Look at http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25942. 2nd post down may have some useful information.

CiscoStu
10-16-2012, 11:47 AM
I think you might be chasing a red herring with all the discussion of the airbag talk... I used to have an '02 Yukon, and it had this annoying little 'feature' called Turn Signal Alert. If you were merging onto or off of a freeway and you left your signal light on too long, it would give you a 'ding ding ding' alarm. Are you sure you didn't leave the turn indicator on too long?

It's an easy test - drive down the road with your turn indicator on, and you'll see what I mean... ESPECIALLY if you aren't getting the airbag light staying on, or no other SES lights.

Another thought is that the airbags in the front have sensors in the seats to make sure they don't deploy at 100% power when there is someone under 70lbs in the seat. So, if you had groceries or something in the passenger seat that was registering as 'something' being there, but not quite enough to trip the sensor, it may have disabled the airbag in that seat. They do that because too many small kids were getting punched in the face by the airbag deploying at full speed. A weight sensor helps determine what speed to deploy the bag at.

If this was the case, you will always get a message saying "Passenger Airbag OFF", or similar...

TayMC197
10-16-2012, 12:58 PM
I think you might be chasing a red herring with all the discussion of the airbag talk... I used to have an '02 Yukon, and it had this annoying little 'feature' called Turn Signal Alert. If you were merging onto or off of a freeway and you left your signal light on too long, it would give you a 'ding ding ding' alarm. Are you sure you didn't leave the turn indicator on too long?It's an easy test - drive down the road with your turn indicator on, and you'll see what I mean... ESPECIALLY if you aren't getting the airbag light staying on, or no other SES lights.

Another thought is that the airbags in the front have sensors in the seats to make sure they don't deploy at 100% power when there is someone under 70lbs in the seat. So, if you had groceries or something in the passenger seat that was registering as 'something' being there, but not quite enough to trip the sensor, it may have disabled the airbag in that seat. They do that because too many small kids were getting punched in the face by the airbag deploying at full speed. A weight sensor helps determine what speed to deploy the bag at.

If this was the case, you will always get a message saying "Passenger Airbag OFF", or similar...

This is what I was thinking. If you don't turn your blinker off in a certain amount of time, like 2 minutes, it will start dinging. Anything else would show a code or check engine. I think you are worked up over something that might not be an issue yet. Don't waste money tracking a problem you don't have yet.

zsqure
10-16-2012, 01:03 PM
Isn't that the "time to trade this in" alarm. It reminds you that you should buy a new truck. I doubt it can be reset.

Good luck on finding the module cheap.

Had that problem in 2007 on my 2004 CC Duramax. By New Years it was someone else's problem. That truck sat on the lot until some time in April before they sold it.

MC209
10-16-2012, 01:57 PM
I am guessing it is a airbag sensor in the front. since you had hit a deer before. I have had to replace them before on vehicles and my airbag light was doing the same thing before it finally went all the way "out" and then the light stayed on. I am pretty sure you have four airbag sensors in the front area of your yukon. google it

ProStar190Fan
10-16-2012, 02:18 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone,

This morning I checked the airbag fuse and checked the battery terminals, everything is good. I will try the turn signal today and report back.

MaxPower220,

This is not the trade in alarm, I believe mine is set to go off sometime in late 2014 when I get a new 2015 Yukon. I am the original owner of the truck with 220k on it, in three weeks its getting new brakes, serpentine belt, and the rear air bag shocks are getting replaced. This is just another thing for the dealer to check. I am not worried about them overcharging and what not since 99% of the service has been performed there and I have a great relationship with the dealer.

milkmania
10-16-2012, 02:23 PM
\slight derail ahead/
99 Lincoln Town Car 128,000 miles
been having a SRS Airbag light on for the last couple of months..... code 37
took it it school, had it scanned and it came back with 4 possibilities.
Today, I figured what the heck, it's a nice sunny day... slid the seats forward, disconnected all the wires, and reconnected them. fixed it.

\back to your regularly scheduled programming/

ProStar190Fan
10-16-2012, 03:07 PM
\slight derail ahead/
99 Lincoln Town Car 128,000 miles
been having a SRS Airbag light on for the last couple of months..... code 37
took it it school, had it scanned and it came back with 4 possibilities.
Today, I figured what the heck, it's a nice sunny day... slid the seats forward, disconnected all the wires, and reconnected them. fixed it.

\back to your regularly scheduled programming/

If nothing else works today, I will try this and see if there is any difference.

milkmania
10-16-2012, 05:24 PM
If nothing else works today, I will try this and see if there is any difference.

Process of Elimination can be a useful tool;)

ProStar190Fan
10-18-2012, 03:49 PM
I checked all of the connections at once (I know, really bad since now I don't know what fixed it) but I pulled out the fuse again, unplugged and plugged the driver and passengers seats in and checked the drivers seatbelt cable and now everything is good.

Thanks for all of the help guys. I am still going to have the vehicle scanned for codes when at the dealer in a few weeks.

milkmania
10-18-2012, 03:51 PM
I checked all of the connections at once (I know, really bad since now I don't know what fixed it) but I pulled out the fuse again, unplugged and plugged the driver and passengers seats in and checked the drivers seatbelt cable and now everything is good.

Thanks for all of the help guys. I am still going to have the vehicle scanned for codes when at the dealer in a few weeks.

go figger8p

either way, glad it's fixed