PDA

View Full Version : centering steering wheel 1984 MC

strad
10-13-2012, 07:01 PM
I just acquired this boat. Steering wheel is in this position when rudder is neutral position.
http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz212/mgheffner/steeringwheel001.jpg
I'm guessing that the steering cable was replaced based on its condition, and I'm guessing that the wheel being off center occurred at that time. I pulled the nut off the steering wheel, but I don't see any splines on the wheel/shaft interface. I can get a puller, but I don't want to pull on it without knowing that's the right thing to do lol. So what is the correct way to center the wheel?

madcityskier
10-13-2012, 07:33 PM
Looks like the entire helm was replaced based on the black backer. Ours has never been centered. Came from the factory how it is now. This is what it looks like when the boat is running straight.
BTW, how's that suction cup mount work for the bumpers? I've always been afraid they'd come loose in choppy water.

strad
10-13-2012, 07:45 PM
I am not sold on the suction cups. Already lost one of the bumpers that came with the boat. However, also not sold on drilling the gunnels and mounting proper brackets. So I bought a pair of new suction cups and a new bumper and I'll see if new suction cups work better than old ones.

madcityskier
10-13-2012, 08:53 PM
I carry a couple bumpers and a fair bit of rope. tie the bumpers to the dock, and if it's rough throw an anchor to hold it off. Sometimes I'll leave vests on the gunwale, or even attach them to the dock or pier if it's an option. Can't bring myself to put cleats on it either. If we take the boat to dinner, we generally try to hit places that are in areas fairly well protected from the worst of the waves and wind.

03geetee
10-14-2012, 12:17 PM
There are three bolts that attach the wheel to the hub assembly. Pop off the silver center cap and remove the three bolts and adjust the wheel to your desire. Remember that the boat usually requires a little left steering input to actually go straight under power so at idle speeds or a light crusing speed it may be still "off" a touch. In reality its not it is just how the wizards at MC designed the most perfect boat they ever made ha!

JTR

strad
10-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Well after removing the three bolts as well as the big center nut, I discovered that the steering wheel had been installed one bolt hole off. Hence why it looked the way it did when pointed straight ahead. Here's how it looks now :D I must have MCOCD. I feel happier now.
http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz212/mgheffner/gth002.jpg
Hey, I noticed that this boat has a very pronounced desire to go to starboard at 30 mph indicated and above if I let go of the wheel. At lower speeds it tracks straight. Has anybody else experienced that? Could that be considered normal in other words. . . I know that two of my tracking fins are bent (I bought the boat that way and haven't gotten them straight/replaced yet) but they don't appear to be be bent in such a way as to cause that.

Masterfull
10-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Haha... don't you love it when a plan comes together!!! You may be able to blame a little of that pull on the bent fins but it IS normal to feel a little pull to one side due to the effect of the torque from the propeller..... Dash looks to be in nice shape. Would love to see some pics of the rest of the boat...

03geetee
10-15-2012, 06:20 PM
Ah that looks better!

JTR

strad
10-15-2012, 11:53 PM
Love your boat geetee. It was either red/cream or blue/whatever for me. I wasn't looking for blue/white but that's what I found needing the type of tlc that I wanted to put in. So here we are.

03geetee
10-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Love your boat geetee. It was either red/cream or blue/whatever for me. I wasn't looking for blue/white but that's what I found needing the type of tlc that I wanted to put in. So here we are.

Looks like you got a keeper bro very nice example from the pics I have seen.

JTR:)