PDA

View Full Version : I need tivo or dvr or something

Ric
09-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Missed the power hour again! :rant:

I know times are subject to change but I didnt look today to see if the time was still good ( I was expecting Freddy Krueger on at 10pm)

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=4896

oh well, they showed it at 530 according to OLN (http://www.olntv.com/nw/article/view/1228/?UserDef=true&catID=76)

mitch
09-06-2005, 07:38 PM
Ric, Tivo is the best. We've had it for a little over a year. I only watch live TV for Sox/Pats. I even Tivo the nightly news. Get it, you won;t regret it!

east tx skier
09-07-2005, 11:29 AM
I just sold my Tivo stock this morning for a bit of a loss. Until they lose the subscription fees, I can't see how much advantage they have over the plain old dvrs. I kept hearing promises of movies on demand (and maybe that's still in the works), but I could've probably done better at the track than that stock has done me.

I've had DVR for the past year and we absolutely love it. I don't get charged the $3.00 fee or whatever from Dish Network because I'm a channel junkie and have the "everything" package.

Cary K.
09-07-2005, 11:36 AM
We have had the DVR package from Time Warner Cable for some time now and I love it.

123src
09-07-2005, 11:37 AM
I must say, before I had Tivo, i didn't really understand how great it was. Now, I Tivo everything except sports. I can not imagine not being able to fast forward through the commercials. As far as Tivo vs. DVR... who knows. I only have experience with Tivo and I LOVE it!

Leroy
09-07-2005, 11:49 AM
We have the 120G Tivo with Directv. Love it and use it all the time.

shepherd
09-07-2005, 02:22 PM
On a similar note, anybody tried Netflix? Since I signed up a few months ago, I rarely watch TV -- only to catch the news in the morning during breakfast or to watch live sporting events or Sportscenter. We pretty much watch a different movie every night or we can watch a whole season of a TV show (e.g., Alias) at our own pace and our own schedule, without commercials or annoying "stay tuned for next week" teasers...

I replaced the lame HBO/Cinemax offerings for this.

east tx skier
09-07-2005, 02:28 PM
I did the blockbuster online free trial (same as netflix). I think TIVO was working on some sort of on demand service with netflix, i.e., want to watch a movie, click, done, huge library, etc. As for the difference, I think TIVO has a more extensive (into the future) program guide. My DVR gives you 9 days.

I can't agree with dumping HBO though. They've got some of the best shows on TV. Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Entourage, Cat House ;).

mitch
09-07-2005, 02:37 PM
Netflix is excellent. We've had it for over a year and it's great.
Tivo is $4.95/mo thru DirectTV. I believe they now offer a DVR solution, either way it's a great service

X2M
09-07-2005, 03:24 PM
On a similar note, anybody tried Netflix?

We have had Netflix for the last 4 years. It is great!! Just pick what you want online and no more going the video store. :)

Ric
09-07-2005, 03:34 PM
I did the blockbuster online free trial (same as netflix). I think TIVO was working on some sort of on demand service with netflix, i.e., want to watch a movie, click, done, huge library, etc. As for the difference, I think TIVO has a more extensive (into the future) program guide. My DVR gives you 9 days.

I can't agree with dumping HBO though. They've got some of the best shows on TV. Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Entourage, Cat House ;).
Sopranos have been off so long I've really gotten into entourage

love2fly
09-07-2005, 03:40 PM
had tivo for 18 months, wound not change anything. we love it.

east tx skier
09-07-2005, 04:27 PM
Sopranos have been off so long I've really gotten into entourage

Entourage is awesome! Jeremy Piven is the man! The whole scenario where he got ratted out and was barking at Lloyd over the phone was classic. I'm sad to have to wait a while for the next season. Fortunately, Curb Your Enthusiasm starts in a week or so.

Ric
09-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Entourage is awesome! Jeremy Piven is the man! The whole scenario where he got ratted out and was barking at Lloyd over the phone was classic. I'm sad to have to wait a while for the next season. Fortunately, Curb Your Enthusiasm starts in a week or so.
"silence is F_________ golden Lloyd"

east tx skier
09-07-2005, 05:51 PM
Titsiefly!

"I don't care if you find a __ and an executioner's mask! Don't think, just pack that biatch! Chop Suey!"

Later he told him to get over there and ended the conversation with "Pronto Tonto!" Love it!

Anything scored with "Monkey Man" is gold!

Ric
09-07-2005, 11:53 PM
Titsiefly!

"I don't care if you find a __ and an executioner's mask! Don't think, just pack that biatch! Chop Suey!"

Later he told him to get over there and ended the conversation with "Pronto Tonto!" Love it!

Anything scored with "Monkey Man" is gold!
and no matter what, arie would NOT promise lloyd never to say anything hateful about his race or sexual orientation, but rather" no......, I can't promise that I'll never say any of that, but I promise when I do, I'll apologize"
haaaaaaaaaaaaaa

east tx skier
09-08-2005, 11:10 AM
That show is gold, Jerry, GOLD! First season is out on DVD now. I need to catch the first couple of episodes.

Ric
09-08-2005, 12:04 PM
That show is gold, Jerry, GOLD! First season is out on DVD now. I need to catch the first couple of episodes.
my girlfriend likes "E" ..... a little too much, I think
I will go get that dvd for sure because I dont think I saw all of the first season

east tx skier
09-08-2005, 12:10 PM
Apart from Ari, I gotta go with Turtle.

Ric
09-08-2005, 12:37 PM
oh how many times I've wanted to use ari's line "I need a ____ callback!" ahhahahahah he does it so well

east tx skier
09-08-2005, 02:28 PM
You have to drop those cancun pictures being sold to adult website references.

Ric
09-10-2005, 10:40 AM
You have to drop those cancun pictures being sold to adult website references.
imahollywoodhoe.com there will be no passwords and no fees if I dont get a _______ callback!