PDA

View Full Version : 2000 xstar surf set up

Oneday
10-13-2012, 09:53 AM
What surf set up dose anyone have in there 2000 xstar. And how is the wake. Thanks. Buddy's boat trying to set it up.

JRW160
10-13-2012, 02:56 PM
I run a 750 in the back locker the kgb full. A lot of times I will run the 1100lb bow triangle up front as well. It helps keep the platform from dragging in the water and causing the wave to wash. 9.5-10mph seems to work well. Any faster and the wave washes out. The wave is ok. It's rideable, but it's really steep and not all that long.

sheckski
10-13-2012, 03:28 PM
Same set up. KGB full 1 x 750 on the surf side. A bag in the bow. Poet side had the cleanest wave. It is indeed rideable but short

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Oneday
10-13-2012, 04:36 PM
Any pics

JRW160
10-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Here are a couple of the port side. We usually surf the starboard side, but I couldn't find any pics of it.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-WDVoSnaU8Go/Tsa415gRCxI/AAAAAAAAk5o/y67tK9B0ZYo/s640/IMG_4532.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-MSxwBJX6sFk/Tsa47eyX5fI/AAAAAAAAk6A/0ocWpDYW84o/s640/IMG_4535.jpg

Thomas21
02-08-2015, 11:47 AM
I did a quick search before I asked this same question and found this thread. So I'm bringing this thread back from the dead.

I also have a 2000 star with acme 1235 prop. When I bought the boat it came with 2 750 sacs that were in the rear lockers, a v style sac for the bow, 2 other sacs that are 400's I think and the stock sac in the center.
Any suggestions on what to do to get me surfing this summer? I tried a little last summer but had no idea what I was doing. I got my wife to pull me about 9.5 with no ballast and was able to toss the rope and ride for just a few seconds. The wave was not anything like I see in the pics posted on this board. I have heard that my boat is not the best for surfing but if it's doable, it will be enough to get the family interested.
Ps. I would be surfing the goofy side.
Thanks for any advice.

AlbertaSurfer
02-08-2015, 12:08 PM
I find the starboard side will clean up a little easier. Last summer I had 600's in the rear lockers, full on the surf side, and about a third full on the non surf side. Two 75lb bags on the rear seat on the surf side. 575lbs in the ski locker. 85lbs onder the bow seats on each side and a 750lb bag in the walkway. All the people in the boat sit on the surf side too.

It's not a big wave, but it's clean and steep. It's very short too, so it may be tough to learn on, but have fun.

Thomas21
02-08-2015, 12:27 PM
Thanks! Looks like I'm not far off. This was my first attempt with no ballast.

AlbertaSurfer
02-08-2015, 12:35 PM
Not too bad. When you do add ballast to the starboard side, make sure to put some in the bow as well, it'll help make the wave longer. It needs to be listed pretty hard to make a decent wave, so be careful when turning around to pick up a rider. I've had people stop and panic that we're sinking before as I'm up to 3000lbs in my boat now.

Thomas21
02-08-2015, 12:51 PM
Not too bad. When you do add ballast to the starboard side, make sure to put some in the bow as well, it'll help make the wave longer. It needs to be listed pretty hard to make a decent wave, so be careful when turning around to pick up a rider. I've had people stop and panic that we're sinking before as I'm up to 3000lbs in my boat now.

Thanks for your help. I plan to fill the bow sac as full as I can and put maybe put one of the 400's in the bow floor. I assume the general idea is to get the whole boat down in the water and not just the rear? After the pic above was taken, I did try to fill the rear sacs but the wave got worse (very white washy with no defined lip). I didn't know about bow weight. I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Thanks!

AlbertaSurfer
02-08-2015, 01:04 PM
You really want to weight the side you're surfing on more than the whole boat. Fill the starboard bag full, and the bow sac full. If you have a 400, I'd put it behind the driver on the floor, or up on the seat. Play with the speed too, You'll wanna be between 9.5 and 11. Play with the weight and speed a bit without a rider so you can see how the wave reacts best to placement of sacs and speed.

It's a finnicky wave because it's short, even have passengers move around to help out. Once you have it figured out, it's easy to do the same thing every time for the best wave.

AlbertaSurfer
02-08-2015, 01:10 PM
You can see the boat is listed over towards where I'm surfing in this pic. With boats like ours, that's your goal for a rideable wave. Note that the water is just under the rub rail on the port side, while the starboard side is out of the water.

geordie-wake
02-08-2015, 01:47 PM
I have the old style fly highs in the rear lockers full (600's I think) with 350 in the centre and two 350's up front on the bow seats so the boat sits even and gives a good wakeboard wake for us and to surf I leave the ballast like this and attach a wakegate which I think gives a better wake than listed. We tried listing the boat before I built the gate and it worked but the pocket was always short with the gate it became longer and easier to ride further back.

Thomas21
02-08-2015, 01:57 PM
I have the old style fly highs in the rear lockers full (600's I think) with 350 in the centre and two 350's up front on the bow seats so the boat sits even and gives a good wakeboard wake for us and to surf I leave the ballast like this and attach a wakegate which I think gives a better wake than listed. We tried listing the boat before I built the gate and it worked but the pocket was always short with the gate it became longer and easier to ride further back.

Tell me about the gate. Did you build it? Pics?

geordie-wake
02-08-2015, 02:18 PM
It's not difficult to make it fits into the platform mount and is secured with a rope ratchet.

Tristarboarder
02-08-2015, 05:30 PM
^ that's cool....dont know if there is a thread on your gate or not already but I would love to see a pic of the wake with that apparatus installed....

Thomas21
02-08-2015, 07:16 PM
^ that's cool....dont know if there is a thread on your gate or not already but I would love to see a pic of the wake with that apparatus installed....

X2 ^^^^^

I may be willing to pay for one of those.

BudmanV24
02-08-2015, 07:48 PM
I did a quick search before I asked this same question and found this thread. So I'm bringing this thread back from the dead.

I also have a 2000 star with acme 1235 prop. When I bought the boat it came with 2 750 sacs that were in the rear lockers, a v style sac for the bow, 2 other sacs that are 400's I think and the stock sac in the center.
Any suggestions on what to do to get me surfing this summer? I tried a little last summer but had no idea what I was doing. I got my wife to pull me about 9.5 with no ballast and was able to toss the rope and ride for just a few seconds. The wave was not anything like I see in the pics posted on this board. I have heard that my boat is not the best for surfing but if it's doable, it will be enough to get the family interested.
Ps. I would be surfing the goofy side.
Thanks for any advice.

Id run one of the 750s in the rear locker on the side you're surfing. Fill the kgb, and fill that v-style sac on top of the front seats. Then put a 400 in the walkway, cram the 750 under the port bench seat if you're surfing that side and put the other 400 on top the port bench seat.

For my x1 (same hull) we ran 750 in the rear port locker, any sac we had laying around stuffed under the port bench seat, 400 on top the port bench, kgb filled, IBS sac under the front seats, and another IBS on top of the front seats.

wheelerd
02-08-2015, 09:09 PM
On our 05 X2 we surf port.
- 750 full on port
- 750 half full on starboard
- KGB full
- IBS full
- about 10.5 mph
I also installed a Bennett wakeplate last summer which helps to push the bow down a bit.
We surf no problem. Not the biggest pocket, but very doable. Current using a CWB Ride.
This summer I'm going to try one of the add-on wake gates that have been discussed a lot here -- either home made, or a commercial one if it becomes available for my hull.

Thomas21
02-08-2015, 09:26 PM
On our 05 X2 we surf port.
- 750 full on port
- 750 half full on starboard
- KGB full
- IBS full
- about 10.5 mph
I also installed a Bennett wakeplate last summer which helps to push the bow down a bit.
We surf no problem. Not the biggest pocket, but very doable. Current using a CWB Ride.
This summer I'm going to try one of the add-on wake gates that have been discussed a lot here -- either home made, or a commercial one if it becomes available for my hull.

Good stuff! Thanks guys. I would like to try a wake gate as well. I have not checked into to it too hard because I didn't figure they would fit my hull. The one above is nice but finding time to build it is another thing haha.

swatguy
02-10-2015, 09:28 AM
For the goofy side for me it was 750 in the starboard locker full, KGB full . IBS on top of the bow seats about 3/4 full, and about 360lbs of pop bags tight behind the driver. I ran 0 on the NON surf side for weight which was optimal for us. Small crew of 3 usually only.

The 205v wake is capeable, but the pocket is small and somewhat close to the swim deck. It really likes the bow weight for both surfing and wakeboarding. Putting weight in the boat to offset that rear will also lengthen you pocket.

dvsone79
02-10-2015, 09:59 AM
Good stuff! Thanks guys. I would like to try a wake gate as well. I have not checked into to it too hard because I didn't figure they would fit my hull. The one above is nice but finding time to build it is another thing haha.

You don't have to get as fancy as Geordie-wake's. Just make your own. Check out the two threads on here about it. Just search for wake shaper. Plenty of info to get you on your way.

I have the same hull as yours and it really doesn't surf well at all. Like others have said, it's doable. The wake gets tall but the pocket is tiny and there's not much push. I'm making a wake gate and hopefully that will make a big difference. I don't see how it won't since all the new boats use the same principle. Delayed convergence seems to work way better than leaning to the side.

ac505
02-12-2015, 01:45 PM
Geordie, the gate looks great. If you ever fancy making one to go on the starboard side, I'd be happy to test it for you :)

Are you heading up north this summer?

geordie-wake
02-12-2015, 02:34 PM
Geordie, the gate looks great. If you ever fancy making one to go on the starboard side, I'd be happy to test it for you :)

Are you heading up north this summer?

heading to Loch Tay again but Kenmore this year should have a gate for either side as my cousin is awkward, currently I'm in the process of trying to make them out of stainless since the design is working very well :D and a proper ballast system will be installed this year I got a great deal from Wakemakers on 3 reversible pumps so no more hanging them over the side just need some warmer weather to work outside :)

ac505
02-12-2015, 04:47 PM
Nice..... Are you staying at the kenmore lodges/hotel. Are there moorings there too?

gwozhog
02-14-2015, 12:25 AM
I say until im blue in the face on this forum. I guess you guys dont do alot of research on how to make your boat surfafable. My sportstar is now a wave machine with my cheepazzwakegate. This vid will solve all your problems. Dont fight it and just build it. A 2000 xstar is a great surfboat with an enhancement. Check out my other videos on youtube too.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N9An-PDb_AI