PDA

View Full Version : 07 Chevy Tahoe Towing Package

willyt
10-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Hey guysssss,
Went into the dealership to get the tahoe tuned up. i asked them to look at adding an additional transmission cooler since i was seeing temps around 220 towing through the mountains during the summer. they came back with the answer that it doesnt have a transmission cooler... dealership told me (i bought it certified used) that it had the heavy duty trailering package at time of purchase and i thought that included an aux tranny cooler.

saleman goes on to say that its integrated with the radiator, and it came standard on the LTZs. I pulled up the build sheet though, and it doesnt say 'heavy duty trailering package' anywhere

Ski-me
10-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Just strictly going with my old 89' K5 radiator......there are two ports on the radiator where the tranny lines plug in for cooling. There isn't a separate, cooler for the tranny. Just a "built in" one.

Maybe this is the same type of setup?

I haven't looked at my 04' suburban to see what's cooling the tranny though. 220 is a little warm though if it's there a lot of the towing time. Might be worth adding an external cooler on yours to be safe.

1redTA
10-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Look at adding a trucool 40k transmission cooler

BrianM
10-12-2012, 12:29 PM
How many miles on it? Unfortunately the 4L60E is not known for its robustness. I have an '07 Avalanche LTZ. Owned since new, good maintenance, mostly highway miles with very little towing of my '97 Prostar and a small tent trailer. Transmission exploded the input sprag at 104k.

Cloaked
10-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Went into the dealership...........

........dealership told me (i bought it certified used) that it had the heavy duty trailering package at time of purchase and i thought that included an aux tranny cooler.

saleman goes on to say that its integrated with the radiator, and it came standard on the LTZs.

I pulled up the build sheet though, and it doesnt say 'heavy duty trailering package' anywhere Cooling option does consist of a seperate cooler or heat exchanger. I say this based on recent past ownership where I had a 2007 2500 HD, same GM towing package option, etc... seperate cooling unit (KNP RPO). This may be apples to oranges with the Tahoe and the GMC 2500 HD / Allison / Duramax. Mine was mounted up front, adjacent to the engine heat exchanger.

If your build sheet does not speficy the HDTP or similar by RPO description, you don't have it.

I don't think GM changed their option package for the LTZ exclusively. One of the smart people here may know differently.

The 2012 GMC RPO is Z82 for trailering equipment (not cooling). It does not describe a seperate cooling unit under the Z82 RPO.

Trailering equipment
, heavy-duty, includes trailering hitch platform and

2.5-inch receiver with 2" adapter, 7-wire harness (harness includes wires
for: park lamps, backup lamps, right turn, left turn, electric brake lead,
battery and ground) with independent fused trailering circuits mated to a
7-way sealed connector, wiring harness for after-market trailer brake
controller (located in the instrument panel harness) and (JL1) integrated
trailer brake controller
1 - Also includes (G80) heavy-duty automatic locking rear differential on
Retail Orders only. Not available with (ZW9) pickup box delete or (VF7)
rear bumper delete.
2 - Included with (PDA) Texas Edition or (PEB) HD SLE Premium Package.
Also includes (G80) heavy-duty automatic locking rear differential on
rear bumper delete.

3 - Will be deleted if (ZW9) pickup box delete is ordered.

Forrest-X45
10-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Current body style GM SUV's, 2007 and on, offered a standard trailer package along with a heavy duty trailering package. Sounds like you had a typical salesman that didn't understand what he was selling and the packages offered on SUV's. All automatic transmissions have fluid coolers with most of them being routed through the radiator. That's what you have with the standard trailering package, no additional tranny cooling over a base Tahoe. If your Tahoe had the heavy duty trailering package you would see another cooler/heat exchanger on the radiator. The hd trailering package included an additional tranny cooler and engine oil cooler along with 3.73 gears. You could get 4.10 gears in the 3/4 ton burbs.
I would recommend what RedTA suggested. Add a good tranny cooler, any good tranny shop can do it if you don't want to tackle it. My friend just did this on his 08 Yukon XL when he realized he didn't have a the hd trailering package towing his 30' camper trailer after I explained the differences and he was seeing higher tranny temps pulling the mountain passes around here. I think he said it was only a couple hundred bucks to have the local tranny shop install it.

Forrest-X45
10-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Cooling option does consist of a seperate cooler or heat exchanger. I say this based on recent past ownership where I had a 2007 2500 HD, same GM towing package option, etc... seperate cooling unit (KNP RPO). This may be apples to oranges with the Tahoe and the GMC 2500 HD / Allison / Duramax. Mine was mounted up front, adjacent to the engine heat exchanger.

If your build sheet does not speficy the HDTP or similar by RPO description, you don't have it.

I don't think GM changed their option package for the LTZ exclusively. One of the smart people here may know differently.

The 2012 GMC RPO is Z82 for trailering equipment (not cooling). It does not describe a seperate cooling unit under the Z82 RPO.

Trailering equipment
, heavy-duty, includes trailering hitch platform and

2.5-inch receiver with 2" adapter, 7-wire harness (harness includes wires

for: park lamps, backup lamps, right turn, left turn, electric brake lead,
battery and ground) with independent fused trailering circuits mated to a
7-way sealed connector, wiring harness for after-market trailer brake
controller (located in the instrument panel harness) and (JL1) integrated
trailer brake controller

1 - Also includes (G80) heavy-duty automatic locking rear differential on
rear bumper delete.
2 - Included with (PDA) Texas Edition or (PEB) HD SLE Premium Package.
Also includes (G80) heavy-duty automatic locking rear differential on
rear bumper delete.

3 - Will be deleted if (ZW9) pickup box delete is ordered.

I think there is a difference between the HD trucks and the SUV's. For instance, you don't get a 2.5" receiver on the SUV's. But I will have to go take a look again since they probably updated the package again. When I was looking a while back they mentioned the additional tranny and oil coolers on the hd suv trailer package.

gweaver
10-12-2012, 04:01 PM
FWIW, when I bought my (used) 04 Silverado, I added a transmission cooler from eTrailer (http://www.etrailer.com/tran-2004_Chevrolet_Silverado.htm?style=4.8L+(294+c.i.)&furl=-gw-Class_III). Cost to me was about $75 and it only took about 2 hours to put on. It really wasn't hard at all- hardest part was getting my hands down in the tight spaces to get the hose on the barbs. I don't know how your '07 is set up, but I can't imagine it would be that difficult. It does involve removing the grille and associated cladding, but once that's done, no worries.
G