PDA

View Full Version : Bent tracking fins

strad
10-11-2012, 05:59 PM
No, I didn't do it -- just to clear that up at the beginning. This boat was run aground before I bought it. Fins may or may not have been bent at that time, but as of now 2 are bent. One looks straight. Besides being bent, they appear to have no other damage. It's hard to know how the boat tracks, since I've only had it out twice and the water was not what I'd call smooth either time.

Is it possible to straighten them? And if so, who would do it? Or do I have to buy new ones. This is an 84 SS
http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz212/mgheffner/boatfins016.jpg

Cloaked
10-11-2012, 06:06 PM
No, I didn't do it -- just to clear that up at the beginning. This boat was run aground before I bought it. Fins may or may not have been bent at that time, but as of now 2 are bent. One looks straight. Besides being bent, they appear to have no other damage. It's hard to know how the boat tracks, since I've only had it out twice and the water was not what I'd call smooth either time.

Is it possible to straighten them? And if so, who would do it? Or do I have to buy new ones. This is an 84 SS
My experience with the path of least resistance is to replace them. That is some tough material to try and bend... heat or no heat, jack or no jack... etc....

The fins do need to be straight and in alignment with each other (obviously).

strad
10-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Yeah I wouldn't try and bend them while they're installed on the boat lol. Just wondering if it's something a machine shop could do for a reasonable cost. Or if a prop shop could do it.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Eric at OJ Props would know if anyone would. 865-458-5205

http://www.ojprops.com/

mikeg205
10-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Eric at OJ Props would know if anyone would. 865-458-5205

http://www.ojprops.com/

what ^^ he says..

snork
10-11-2012, 07:11 PM
by the time you remove the fins, take them to a place to straighten, might as well get new ones for about the same cost

FrankSchwab
10-11-2012, 07:17 PM
I hate to be negative, but I'd check for a bent strut while you're at it. Look where the propshaft goes through the hull, and verify that the propshaft doesn't hit the edge of the hole.

If someone hits hard enough to bend the tracking fins, they generally get the strut also.

/frank

strad
10-11-2012, 07:26 PM
I hate to be negative, but I'd check for a bent strut while you're at it. Look where the propshaft goes through the hull, and verify that the propshaft doesn't hit the edge of the hole.

If someone hits hard enough to bend the tracking fins, they generally get the strut also.

/frank

Naww. I replaced the strut, shaft and prop already. My father-in-law repaired the glass damage in the powerslot area. So the driveline is straight.

93Prostar190
10-11-2012, 10:56 PM
I bent one earlier this year and Eric even advised me to replace the bent one.

tex
10-12-2012, 10:11 AM
My old supreme had a faulty trailer and sometime depending on the ramp, I could not avoid hitting on on the trailer. I took it off, put it in a vice and bent it straight several times with heat. Wasn't that hard.

Masterfull
10-14-2012, 11:25 PM
I'm curious, does anyone know what these cost new?? Last time I checked, my local prop shop charges $230 to straighten a strut about that size..... I bought a 20ton shop press for just under $200. and have been successful straightening five of the last struts my customers have bent...Some that were considerably larger than these fins... Good luck what ever you do...Looking forward more pics of boat...

east tx skier
10-15-2012, 11:09 AM
If it is orka'd over, then replace it. If it is just a little crooked, straighten it. We orka'd one on my SN and slightly bent the other. I replaced the orka'd one and my trusted mechanic gave the slightly bent one a few whacks with his fin straightening tool (a 4x4 post with two handles carved into it). Straightened the fin right out while it was still installed. No charge.

Not for the faint of heart and I have no guarantees that it won't pull out on your boat and take the thru-bolts and the glass with it. But it worked like a charm on my boat.

The replacement fin ran me $90.

93Prostar190
10-15-2012, 11:13 AM
Eastie,

I have come to trust alot of what you write on this board .... and I have a feeling that you and I could spend some time on the lake together.

But brother ... I would easily spend $100 to keep someone from banging anything that is still attached to my boat, or your boat, or even some random inboard at a marina ...

all I can say is YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disclaimer - this may be Eastie's attempt to sell us all some trackign fins he has in a box in his basement ... perhaps even some gel coat repair kits, and or fiberglass repair.

Maybe Eastie works for Bondo?

;)

If it is orka'd over, then replace it. If it is just a little crooked, straighten it. We orka'd one on my SN and slightly bent the other. I replaced the orka'd one and my trusted mechanic gave the slightly bent one a few whacks with his fin straightening tool (a 4x4 post with two handles carved into it). Straightened the fin right out while it was still installed. No charge.

Not for the faint of heart and I have no guarantees that it won't pull out on your boat and take the thru-bolts and the glass with it. But it worked like a charm on my boat.

The replacement fin ran me $90.

Barefooter92
10-15-2012, 01:57 PM
Check the MARKET here on TT. Sometimes they have fins for sale. Also I see them on ebay from time to time not sure if they are your year but the are MC. Two are bent are you sure the third one is not? Heck go for three while your down there. The glass looks very good under there for the boat hitting the tracking fins, or have you done work under there too?

strad
10-15-2012, 04:58 PM
Check the MARKET here on TT. Sometimes they have fins for sale. Also I see them on ebay from time to time not sure if they are your year but the are MC. Two are bent are you sure the third one is not? Heck go for three while your down there. The glass looks very good under there for the boat hitting the tracking fins, or have you done work under there too?

Nope, no work under there. There were a couple very small stress cracks near the nuts (under the engine in the bilge) but no visible damage on the bottom of the boat near the fins. The damage to the hull was confined to the area immediately above the prop, and no repair was necessary in the bilge above that area and no repair in the bilge above the strut. The gelcoat got cracked just behind the strut (I assume from the strut being flexed upwards during the hit) but no damage to structure from what we could see.

east tx skier
10-15-2012, 05:08 PM
Eastie,

I have come to trust alot of what you write on this board .... and I have a feeling that you and I could spend some time on the lake together.

But brother ... I would easily spend $100 to keep someone from banging anything that is still attached to my boat, or your boat, or even some random inboard at a marina ...

all I can say is YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disclaimer - this may be Eastie's attempt to sell us all some trackign fins he has in a box in his basement ... perhaps even some gel coat repair kits, and or fiberglass repair.

Maybe Eastie works for Bondo?

;)

I can understand your surprise in hearing this. But to add a little detail, this person has been working on Correct Craft for 18 plus years and is part owner and head of service of the local Correct Craft dealer. My boat is a Correct Craft. So he knows what he's doing, he knows how picky I am about my boat, and even knowing this, he is assuming liability if he breaks it and, in fact, knows he is not going to break it.

Even when I had my MC, these were the only people I wanted working on my boat.

Remember, the tracking fins on my boat are just screwed and glued. MCs are thru-bolted. What are you MC guys afraid of? 8p

The truth of the matter is that these tracking fins, though robust enough, are honed down to a pretty sharp leading edge. It doesn't take much to bend them back into shape. He knows this, and knows the easiest way to get them into alignment.

He employed a similar method to get my walkthrough windshield pane to stop sagging.

"Hey, look over there!" YANK! Done.