PDA

View Full Version : Any good lower back exercises

mitch
09-06-2005, 05:51 PM
Wifey has been hurting after slalom sets this year, and is in super pain right now. She did some stretching before skiing yesterday, and still ended up hurtin' bad. Any advice on how to get her lower back in better shape? No Chiro for her, which is what solved my woes a few years ago. Thanks much for any help!

rodltg2
09-06-2005, 06:05 PM
have you tried tieing a handle to a post and doing pulling exercises? always helps me. at very least will help her skiing.

mitch
09-06-2005, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the reply Rod. Have not tried that, but it sounds like it's worth a shot.

John B
09-06-2005, 06:29 PM
When I hurt my back
I hooked a rope handle hook to the wall and did sit ups.
I used my arms to start and then took over with my back.

Leroy
09-06-2005, 06:32 PM
Maybe describe the pain a bit more, from fall or just wrong position, taking ibuprofin and does it help?? I find if I'm having pain it's normally body mechanics and that's an easier solution.
As you know, normally rest is best medicine for recovery.

I find comparing skiing to other sports, most have very little stretching or warm up before hitting it.

bret
09-06-2005, 06:43 PM
Lay down flat on her back, bring one leg up at a time, bend at the knee, grab it and pull it to your chest slowly, about 8 times each for a count of 8-10 seconds, alternating legs, then the next set, do both at the same time. This will stretch out the lower "grissle" part of your back. Then sit in a chair and slowly bend over, try to put her chest on her knees, let the head go down, hold it for a count of 8-10, relax sitting up. Cold pack at night to help reduce any minor inflamation, heating pad in the morning in bed with coffee, gets the muscle warmed up to start the day. I fell a couple of months ago - turned out that I had displaced my hip, which got my back off. Chiropractor put it back right, gave me the above excercises, about a week and half later, with the pack/pad items, good as new.

AirJunky
09-06-2005, 06:54 PM
I have a swelling or inflamation problem at L5 S1 about where my belt is. If it swells up, I sit in the hot tub for a few & then ice my back & go to bed. Feels great the next day.
Physical Therapist gave me that tip..... hot tub thins your blood & your vessels & capillaries will increase in size. Then the ice tells your body to send mega amounts of blood to that spot to warm it up. So heat (hot tub or heating pad) & then always end in ice.

stevo137
09-06-2005, 07:03 PM
I use (Hang ups) inversion boots on my power rack and then stretch side to side the same way the the chiro gives a low back adjustment.
(The inversion table works best).

http://www.teeterhangups.com/home.html

For a quick stretch I use the AB Force slings and then stretch.
I use my slings almost every day.
Click on the demo tab.

http://www.aborigionals.com/products.htm

Both of these products have helped me greatly.

Is she stretching prior to sets?

mitch
09-06-2005, 07:31 PM
Thanks all, she appreciates it!

Leroy, Pain is in her very lower back, high butt right side.

Bret, The leg pull up exercise is the one she does. My chiro is the one that taught me that one. I like the chair, it felt pretty good.

Steve, Pretty cool stuff! Yes she stretches before sets, and it seems the morning glass runs are the ones causing pain. If she does an evening set, all seems well. She must just be tight in the AM.

betsy&david Harrison
09-06-2005, 10:46 PM
Now yer all gunna think I'm a lunatic on this one...I had a very similar pain in the exact spot you are describing. Hurt when I walked it was so bad. Then I ran into Dr. Jack Horton...the very same ski man we know...he told me to get a magnetic pad...like the ones you would put on the fridge or on the side of a car. Cut it to a decent size and stick it on the area of the pain. I did what he said...felt like an idiot but two days later it was gone. I tried the stretches, heat, ice and drugs and nothing touched it. It was a cheap and easy fix. What can it hurt to try?

Leroy
09-06-2005, 10:57 PM
I've had different pains through this summer and keep finding it is something wrong in how I'm skiing. Something caused her pain while on the salom, I'm guessing getting bent over on pull in one direction.

betsy&david Harrison
09-06-2005, 11:02 PM
Leroy,

That was part of my problem too. I'm tellin you, the magnet worked! I'm pre-med and had serious doubts but the pain was intense and I was ready to try anything. I slept with the mag on my back and wore a small one for a few hours a day. I still have the mags but I don't need them anymore. I used an old Pepsi truck magnet and cut it up. TRY IT! B

Leroy
09-06-2005, 11:18 PM
Betsy; I believe in natural, homeopathic, remedies! But if you are skiing wrong seems like it would come back? Did it fix you back for good? Next pain I get I'll try it!

Leroy,

That was part of my problem too. I'm tellin you, the magnet worked! I'm pre-med and had serious doubts but the pain was intense and I was ready to try anything. I slept with the mag on my back and wore a small one for a few hours a day. I still have the mags but I don't need them anymore. I used an old Pepsi truck magnet and cut it up. TRY IT! B

stevo137
09-07-2005, 12:39 AM
Betsy,
I used a back pad with a magnet for long drives in the car until I wore it out and it seemed to help circulation.

AirJunky
09-07-2005, 01:05 AM
Another suggestion..... ever try a TENS Unit? Their a small pack that goes on your belt & has 2 or 4 electrodes that go on your back or whatever hurts. It's like ultrasound therapy at the physical therapists. And they rock for pain..... better than taking vicodan or percoset for sure.

maristarman
09-07-2005, 01:30 AM
Another suggestion..... ever try a TENS Unit? Their a small pack that goes on your belt & has 2 or 4 electrodes that go on your back or whatever hurts. It's like ultrasound therapy at the physical therapists. And they rock for pain..... better than taking vicodan or percoset for sure.

Stands for Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulators. While it does make the pain go away, it really doesn't fix the underlying problem.

It basically overloads the affected nerves with electrical impulses to the point that your brain goes "Whoa, you are really talking too much, I'm going to ignore anything you say."

While I've benefited from the pain relief this type of therapy offers (on more than one occassion) it has always been as part of a comprehensive treatment plan that also fixes the underlying problem.

Just my :twocents:

mitch
09-07-2005, 07:44 AM
Now yer all gunna think I'm a lunatic on this one...I had a very similar pain in the exact spot you are describing. Hurt when I walked it was so bad. Then I ran into Dr. Jack Horton...the very same ski man we know...he told me to get a magnetic pad...like the ones you would put on the fridge or on the side of a car. Cut it to a decent size and stick it on the area of the pain. I did what he said...felt like an idiot but two days later it was gone. I tried the stretches, heat, ice and drugs and nothing touched it. It was a cheap and easy fix. What can it hurt to try?

That sounds cool. Can't think of a good source for those mags, but found this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5613391300&fromMakeTrack=true

What do you think?

She's was hurtin this AM, not better at all , trouble walking and said 'never skiing again'
:(

Thanks all, she loves to ski, hopefully I can get this probelm solved

east tx skier
09-07-2005, 11:07 AM
Although I've suffered from neck, shoulder and some back problems for years, my lower back has been, by and large, spared. I do 3 sets of twelve roman chair reverse situps 4 times per week. At times, I've held some extra weight, but usually, I just do it without.

betsy&david Harrison
09-07-2005, 11:21 AM
That sounds cool. Can't think of a good source for those mags, but found this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5613391300&fromMakeTrack=true

What do you think?

She's was hurtin this AM, not better at all , trouble walking and said 'never skiing again'
:(

Thanks all, she loves to ski, hopefully I can get this probelm solved
That might work and it isn't too expensive. I think you can go to a place that make signs and just ask for the magnetic piece. We have a few sign making places here in town. Check your yellow pages.

Ric
09-07-2005, 11:23 AM
may I ?????????????

Thank you

betsy&david Harrison
09-07-2005, 11:24 AM
Leroy,

I don't have the problem in my back anymore since using the magnet. Heck, I don't always ski correctly either...don't let the wife give it up so quick! B

ski_king
09-07-2005, 11:37 AM
Sounds like the magnet is worth a try.
The company truck is now missing its sign on one side.
I guess it must have fell off.

areamike
09-07-2005, 01:16 PM
two words

"rowing machine"

works for me to stretch my back and at the same time work those skiing muscles.

milkmania
09-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Williams Flexion Exercises

mitch
09-07-2005, 02:10 PM
That might work and it isn't too expensive. I think you can go to a place that make signs and just ask for the magnetic piece. We have a few sign making places here in town. Check your yellow pages.

Perfect! Checked w/ a local sign company and they said come over and I can pick thru their sign scrap box. She said they s/b plenty there. Sounded kinda free to me ;)

Thanks again all!

east tx skier
09-07-2005, 02:11 PM
two words

"rowing machine"

works for me to stretch my back and at the same time work those skiing muscles.

Those guys on the Nicholl's board all seem to be big into rowing to work those ski muscles.

mitch
09-07-2005, 02:21 PM
Those guys on the Nicholl's board all seem to be big into rowing to work those ski muscles.

Can anyone recommend a decent rowing machine? Thx

betsy&david Harrison
09-07-2005, 03:31 PM
Let me know how it works after 3 days on her back. B

mitch
09-08-2005, 07:09 AM
Let me know how it works after 3 days on her back. B

Night one w/ the magnet seems to have helped some :D

Upper Michigan Prostar190
09-08-2005, 09:39 AM
If she is in that much pain, something must be wrong. She must have pulled something, or be pinching a nerve or something. I highly recommend a chiro as it did wonders for me when I was in terrible back pain. If she wont go to a chiro, I suggest a doctor. I went to a doctor once that didnt give me any meds, he adjusted me similar to a chiro. He moved my legs around and pressed on my hips/lower back and it worked.

I get pain in that area too, and I have got to the point where I can pretty much adjust myself. I lay on the floor and simulate what the chiro does and it works!!! :eek: I did it laying on my swim platform once this summer. my lower back/hips were pinching a nerve. I layed down, adjusted myself, and presto! good to go! I skied painlessly all day. I know it wounds corny, but its true.

If she hurts that much, something is wrong. sounds like more than a simple sore day after skiing. I suggest she see a doctor or chiro. :twocents:

betsy&david Harrison
09-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Night one w/ the magnet seems to have helped some :D
What I was told by Dr. Jack Horton was that a nerve was being pinched in the area from the fatty tissue swelling around it...or something like that. He told me that the magnet brings the oxygen to the area to help in the healing process. I'm so glad it is helping her!

mitch
09-08-2005, 12:59 PM
What I was told by Dr. Jack Horton was that a nerve was being pinched in the area from the fatty tissue swelling around it...or something like that. He told me that the magnet brings the oxygen to the area to help in the healing process. I'm so glad it is helping her!

Hit the sign shop this AM, and they set me up w/ an 8x20" piece...Free :steering:

She used a fridge mag last nite, so this should help a bit more.

Thanks again

DrJ
09-08-2005, 03:22 PM
I know you said no chiropractic for her, BUT, she should really consider it. I am a chiro in NM and from the way you have described the pain and location it sounds more and more like a pelvis or SI joint problem. Very common and usually very easy to fix. Why does she not want to go see your chiro?

mitch
09-08-2005, 04:58 PM
I know you said no chiropractic for her, BUT, she should really consider it. I am a chiro in NM and from the way you have described the pain and location it sounds more and more like a pelvis or SI joint problem. Very common and usually very easy to fix. Why does she not want to go see your chiro?

If she does not get better she indicated she'd consider it. She's old school like here dad, even at 40. No pro massages either. She is missing out :D Thanks for your reply!

milkmania
09-08-2005, 09:14 PM

hey Doc,
I need a prescription...
I've got these two ruptured discs, and I can't stop the pain.

richardsoncd
09-09-2005, 12:18 AM
Often times, lower back problems stem from lack of flexibility in the legs, mainly the hamstrings. Another common problem is a lack of strength in the abs, the abs should work as hard or harder than the lower back when it comes to balance movements (such as skiing) Check out some good stretchs on the internet, remember to do a short walk/jog to warm the muscles up or you can do more damage, and the best no impact ab exercises right now are pollaties (sp.?) You can find a number of free routines for these as well that only take around 10-15 minutes a day. You will notice a huge diffrence, I did.

bigmac
09-09-2005, 12:32 AM

Hmm....interesting. Since you're pre-med, you must have an opinion on the physiology behind this concept, and the chemistry behind a magnet bringing oxygen to the area....?

Crash
09-09-2005, 02:16 AM
Wifey has been hurting after slalom sets this year, and is in super pain right now....Any advice on how to get her lower back in better shape?.....Thanks for your help!
I've read all the replies and can't believe you all haven't recommended the obvious....more sex!

...your welcome. :)

mitch
09-23-2005, 09:28 AM
Thanks again for all the reply's (yes yours too Crash :D ) She's feeling better and has skied a few times pain free recently. Magnet's did help and she's stretching a lot more. Thanks again!

09-23-2005, 12:38 PM
Stretching is very important. I am a BIG advocate of stretching before ANY activity. YOu ought to see the weird looks I get from my nieghbors when I stretch before mowing the lawn. :eek: Yes, its true. I stretch before I mow the lawn, hey thats LOTS of walking and I dont get shin splints if I stretch out good before hand. just look at how much dogs stretch, do you see them pull muscle often? Dogs stretch every time they get up almost. and they wag their tail the whole time they are stretching.....that ought to tell you something. My ski buds all tease me for stretching, but I tell em to *#&@ OFF!!! I havent had more than a few sore muscles this year and thats it. :)

remember to S_____T____R____E___T___C___H____ every time before you ski....or do ANY activity. dont hurt yourself!!!

UMP

PendO
09-23-2005, 01:24 PM
UMP - stretching before you mow the lawn may be one of the reasons you are finding it difficult to get good pictures for the swimsuit thread like Skeeler;)

Stretching is very important. I am a BIG advocate of stretching before ANY activity. YOu ought to see the weird looks I get from my nieghbors when I stretch before mowing the lawn. :eek: Yes, its true. I stretch before I mow the lawn, hey thats LOTS of walking and I dont get shin splints if I stretch out good before hand. just look at how much dogs stretch, do you see them pull muscle often? Dogs stretch every time they get up almost. and they wag their tail the whole time they are stretching.....that ought to tell you something. My ski buds all tease me for stretching, but I tell em to *#&@ OFF!!! I havent had more than a few sore muscles this year and thats it. :)

remember to S_____T____R____E___T___C___H____ every time before you ski....or do ANY activity. dont hurt yourself!!!

UMP

areamike
09-23-2005, 01:48 PM
Can anyone recommend a decent rowing machine? Thx

The ones at the YMCA work great!...hehe ;)

Google Rowing Machine

09-23-2005, 05:18 PM
UMP - stretching before you mow the lawn may be one of the reasons you are finding it difficult to get good pictures for the swimsuit thread like Skeeler;)
:uglyhamme Awesome burn there Pendo!!! :toast: LOL!!
You know.....you are probably right! Imagine what my girlfriend would think If I decided I wanted to strech before doing the horizontal mambo with her :eek: talk about a mood killer!!!! and no, I havent made that mistake. I wouldnt want to mess THAT up!! as much as I believe in stretching, I find it possible to refrain from a stretch in that situation

UMP

betsy&david Harrison
10-02-2005, 04:53 PM
Thanks again for all the reply's (yes yours too Crash :D ) She's feeling better and has skied a few times pain free recently. Magnet's did help and she's stretching a lot more. Thanks again!
I was curious about how the wife's back was doing? Sounds like the Magnets worked! Cheap and easy...just like stretching. BigMac wanted to know why I thought this works...well, there is iron in blood(remember the tasty stuff as a kid?) and the magnets draw the "heme" to the desired area, hense, more oxygen to help repair the injury.

Psheehy
10-03-2005, 11:04 PM
Back pain is difficult to 2nd guess, but I ache sometimes after over doing it skiing & I narrowed it down to the "S.I." joint. (Sacaryliac joint) Once I learned how to excersise to help that joint & ice down after I ski hard, I am good to go- otherwise I am in great pain for several days- hard to get out of bed. Based on your description of the pain, land the location, look into SI joint articles on the net. Paul S.

bigmac
10-04-2005, 09:44 AM
I was curious about how the wife's back was doing? Sounds like the Magnets worked! Cheap and easy...just like stretching. BigMac wanted to know why I thought this works...well, there is iron in blood(remember the tasty stuff as a kid?) and the magnets draw the "heme" to the desired area, hense, more oxygen to help repair the injury.

From a physics standpoint, that concept doesn't make sense. Each hemoglobin molecule has 4 iron atoms and the distances between them result in such a weak magnetic field that any commercially available magnet could have no effect on those molecules. Even the 1.5 tesla fields generated by a typical MRI scanner show no measurable effect.

Physics aside, there has never been a well-designed, randomized, prospective study that demonstrates any significant benefit to patients from magnet therapy, especially things like refrigerator magnets. These are generally considered by anyone with any scientific inclination to be nothing more than quack nostrums.

Having said that, one should never underestimate the power of the human mind. Placebo effect is a valuable tool against perceived pain and personally, I'm in favor of people doing whatever they believe works as long as it doesn't harm them. And sleeping on a magnetic mattress or a refrigerator magnet certainly won't hurt anyone.

captkidd
10-11-2005, 04:53 PM
Often times, lower back problems stem from lack of flexibility in the legs, mainly the hamstrings. Another common problem is a lack of strength in the abs, the abs should work as hard or harder than the lower back when it comes to balance movements (such as skiing) Check out some good stretchs on the internet, remember to do a short walk/jog to warm the muscles up or you can do more damage, and the best no impact ab exercises right now are pollaties (sp.?) You can find a number of free routines for these as well that only take around 10-15 minutes a day. You will notice a huge diffrence, I did.
I agree with the importance of strengthening your abdominal muscles. Back around Memorial Day I started having a lot of pain in my lower left back, left hip, and down the back of my left leg. I saw my regular doctor and she prescribed some anti-inflammatories (which didn't help much), and then finally some pain killers (which only masked the pain, but did nothing for the problem). Since I was still suffering quite a bit, I went to a chiro for about 5 visits and that didn't help at all (don't doubt that they can help with some things, but this one totally misdiagnosed my problem).

My doctor finally sent me for an MRI and they diagnosed it as a herniated disk that was putting pressure on my sciatic nerve. They referred me to a neurosurgeon (after only 5 weeks of suffering) who in turn sent me for 4 weeks of physical therapy. The physical therapist showed me how to stretch and to strengthen my abdominal muscles in order to take the pressure off my spine. It worked and now I am almost completely pain free (except when I bend over wrong).

At first I could hardly stand to drive or ride in the car for more than a few minutes, so I wasn't able to tow the boat to the lake. I also wasn't able to ski for most of the summer, so I missed a lot of the season. In addition, since every visit to a chiro, doctor, x-ray facility, MRI, neurosurgeon, and PT cost me a $25 co-pay, it was also a pretty expensive problem.

LakePirate
10-11-2005, 05:38 PM
I agree with the strengthening of the abs to alleviate the pressure/load on the spine. However, remember that every muscle group has an alternate muscle group. Don't neglect your back muscles.

I have been to several chiropractors and found that you need to have one with strong hands and they must be large enough move your bones. I had one who used one of those gun thingies (technical term) to try and move vertebrae and was highly unsuccessful. I guess it all depends on your muscle tone and size.

mitch
10-18-2005, 08:55 AM

Betsy, She's doing better, ski season is winding down and that should help some. She still uses the magnet from time to time and I tried it a few times and it helped. Thanks!