PDA

View Full Version : Another Wakeboarding "help me" video

-V-
10-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Ok, don't laugh.........just starting to learn how to jump and I can't get high enough for the life of me..... I attached a video and I hope some of you will chime in. This was last weekend (Birthday weekend (30)) at Canyon Lake Texas.

Boat 2000 MC 210VRS, no ballast yet.

Driver + Wife + my two kids in boat.

If you notice, I get a bunch of slack in the rope when turning back into the wake. I have never had a lesson and onloy watch videos online on how to progress.

You can turn it up to 1080P but I can't seem to get it on here as smooth as I have it on my computer.

Thanks in advance.

https://plus.google.com/photos/100885419449481461752/albums/5797852243362093489/5797852246579992354#photos/100885419449481461752/albums/5797852243362093489/5797852246579992354

-V-
10-10-2012, 09:36 PM
you can also use this link............

http://youtu.be/alXUfT9TEoA

LYNRDSKYNRD
10-10-2012, 10:04 PM
What rope,length and speed are you riding at?

Also the slack may have been from the boat turning into your cut. The driver needs to drive in straight lines as you cut kit and back into the wake. You should stay inside the wake for a while and surf back and forth between the wakes to help you with your board control. When you can do that well jump from the inside of the wake to the outside first. Then surf again outside the wake surf in and out again to help with board control.

You should be pulled 19-20mph, the wake looks white "wasn't" at the length you were riding so either speed up or shorten the rope length to get a clean wake.

That's all I got from the video. Good luck.
Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

LYNRDSKYNRD
10-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Oh forgot your cut back to the wake should start out as a slow cut and build speed as you approach the wake don't start out **!!$ to the wall.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

GoneBoatN
10-11-2012, 12:10 AM
I'm just a beginner myself but have a couple of comments.

First, the water you are boarding in seems to have some chop. Try to find flat water the best you can. This will make it much easier for you to practice and learn. Else you spending most your time just fighting the chop.

Second, you don't seem to have good rider position (stance). It will be hard for you to progress until you get a good stance and become comfortable with it. Go to YouTube. Search on "Pro Rider Matt Crowhurst" and the first one that comes up will be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if-o677aPuU which is about basics. He has a another video about wake-2-wake jumps as well. Specifically you seem to be bent over quite a bit at the waste. The way I heard it put best is "move your hip towards the handle, not the handle to the hips". Phrased another way, your chest should be facing up now down towards the water. Otherwise you are having to try to control your balance with your upper body which will be dang near impossible especially in chop. You want to get body position and edge control down before moving on.

Also, I found the following instructional DVDs/Videos helpful:

1) Detention 2012 by Shaun Murray
http://www.amazon.com/Detention-2012-3-Disc-DVD-Set/dp/B001962ELM
2) The Book, comes in DVD and Mobile versions:
http://www.thebookdvd.com/dvds/mobile.htm

One or both would be a good investment - you and your kids will benifit from them. I have both. I feel The Book has more information but Detention also shows "bad examples" so you know what to try to avoid.

As others have commented, not having the boat driving straight and the fast cut are both working against you. When you start your turn to the wake you should start with good body position and just let the boat pull you back to center for a few seconds. Then you start your "progressive edge" by leaning back on the rope - gradually at first and, then more and more until you get to the top of the wake. That's correct, on edge all the way through the wake.

I found that taking a small cut out and then a small one-wake jump coming back trying to get the best edge I can get helps develop that feeling for the correct position when you hit the wake. Matt's other video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-966jH1__8 - talks about this at the end.

Hope to see more videos of your progress.

tdjaster
10-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Okay, lots of things happening in this video. I live close to you in SA and have taught lessons for several years.

#1. Water. It'll definitely be easier if you find some flatter water. I know the dam usually is one of the better areas at Canyon but you may want to check out some of the other smaller, local lakes/rivers (PM me for the best spots that I prefer not to tell the masses...trying to keep them secret as much as possible).

#2. Boat. The boat was turning when you tried to cut. That's not going to help. You're always going to want to be cutting and jumping behind a boat that's travelling straight and at as constant of a speed as possible. Most beginners ride in the 18-20mph range, I usually am around 22.

#3. Riding stance. As was previously noted, you've got to get yourself into a taller riding stance. One thing I always tell my students is to keep eyes focussed on the top of the tower, it's a good focal point to keep balance.

#4. Cutting. Really work on slowing down all of your movements. When I'm cutting away from the boat wake, I'm standing very tall and all I'm doing is leaning my stance over onto my toes (or heels, depending on the side), just letting my weight fall onto my toes/heels. After I've hit the peak of my cut away from the boat, I pause and let off the pressure to allow my speed to match the boat's. At the point that the boat begins to pull me back toward the wake, I use that as my cue to start my cut. The cut starts easy but gets progressively more intense as I dig my heels (or toes) in. When cutting heelside, think of it like you're slowing sitting down into a chair, knees slightly bent (not squatting low but also not locked out).

Hopefully this helps! See ya on the lakes!

madcityskier
10-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Try to keep shoulders up over your hips. You should be able to start the turn by putting a little more pressure on your heels or toes. As you pull harder you will lean harder, but always away from the pull of the rope. Leaning to the side will take you out of position.

bcd
10-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Check out learnwake.com. They have tons of good information and lots of low impact drills. They'll also go through proper form. I learned a ton just about a basic wake jump, and I've been boarding for 10 years. They also will breakdown your video and tell you what you're doing wrong and what to work on to fix it.

mikeg205
10-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Check out learnwake.com. They have tons of good information and lots of low impact drills. They'll also go through proper form. I learned a ton just about a basic wake jump, and I've been boarding for 10 years. They also will breakdown your video and tell you what you're doing wrong and what to work on to fix it.

Great advice...didn't know about learn wake...nice price...cheaper than lessons... will have to check it out...

mikeg205
10-14-2012, 12:53 PM
Hey V - of you get a chance - get some lessons...took my son and 2 lessons later he was a completely different boarder...

-V-
10-15-2012, 07:31 PM
I want to thank everyone so far. I am going to try to go out again this weekend. Temps are still high enough to go out. My driver is about the only thing I worry about but I am thinking about buying PP for the boat as my own present, Then maybe my wife can start to pull me. I will post some more as they come.

GoneBoatN
10-15-2012, 08:35 PM
I want to thank everyone so far. I am going to try to go out again this weekend. Temps are still high enough to go out. My driver is about the only thing I worry about but I am thinking about buying PP for the boat as my own present, Then maybe my wife can start to pull me. I will post some more as they come.

I hear you. I use to have an old I/O with a sticky throttle. Maybe have the driver watch the RPM gauge (once past the initial start) more than the speedometer when trying to hold speed. The temptation with the speedometer is to try to make instantaneous corrections. Where as holding the speed RPMs with make for less drastic variations. It's definatley hard driving (controlling speed) for a wakeboarder because you can definatly notice a 1 MPH variation when behind the boat.

Having PP makes boarding much easier, even with the best of drivers. A friend of mine has a 2001 210 VRS with PP and it seems to do a very good job of holding speed.