PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pan and Rear Main Leak

Kyle
10-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Ok so I found this tiny leak on my new engine and my MCOCD is kicking. I wanted to post up a thread for folks who may have one or both of the same problems and show a way to fix it without taking their engine out as most people do not have a lift or some kind of hoist.

I first removed the exhaust, took the shaft coupler bolts out and slid the shaft away from the transmission.

Remove the starter and wiring harness.

Remove the shift linkage.

Remove the tranny cooler and leave lines attached to the transmission and cooler.

Remove the 4 tranny mount bolts

Remove the 6 transmission bolts for the bell housing.

Take a rope and attach it to the beam in your storage facility or garage and hook it to an exhaust riser or a engine lift eye.

Lift up on the rear of the tranny and slide it back.

Find a spot to put the transmission, I put mine in the back part of the bilge area.

Remove the damper plate and the fly wheel.

Engine now is free and can rotate lower towards the rear of engine or you can pick up on the exhaust risers and fold it forward to sit on the pulleys.

Remove the fuel pump, alternator, and raw pump.

Drain all oil out of the pan

Remove the oil filter.

Now rotate the engine to lay forward on its face or on the pulley side.

Doing this will give you access to the bottom of the pan and you can remove all bolts and take the pan off without problems or getting hung on the oil pump pick up.

My problem was that after running my boat Oil would leak out of the rear of the engine and about 6 drips. It will only do this when the engine is hot or after I put the boat away from using it. I have had this problem all year and have decided that I am tired of cleaning up the oil every time out and it needs to be perfect. The oil leak was in no way a measurable amount or would cause a low oil problem. My project was done strictly due to the mess it made and it not being perfect.

Oh and if you are wondering how long it takes to remove the tranny, flywheel, and damperplate...... It took me 35 minutes to remove the transmission using hand tools (no air tools) and probably another 15 or so to remove the accessories off of the front of the engine.

I also removed the captains chair and the front floor section to keep them clean but that is not needed.

1redTA
10-10-2012, 06:16 PM
you couldn't have taken a few extra minutes for pictures? :-)

TxsRiverRat
10-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Mods - please move this to the MCOCD thread.

Thank you

Kyle
10-10-2012, 06:23 PM
you couldn't have taken a few extra minutes for pictures? :-)

Ok here is the deal. I did not have a clean or empty oil jug to put the oil in. I am too cheap to waste 3-5 hour old oil so I have to wait until tomorrow to drain the oil into the jug that it came in.

I will take pics of it on its face tomorrow.

I also did not want to leave the oil pan off very long. The drip that I had was only 5 drips until it cooled down and quit leaking. Since I do not have a new filter, pan gasket, or main seal yet, I did not want to leave it over night dripping into my bilge. 5 drips is a lot different that 30 that would have happened over night.

My plan is to remove pan. Clean the block deck and pan and then put it back together pretty quick.

1redTA
10-10-2012, 06:33 PM
ahhhh, that's a different picture

mikeg205
10-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Mods - please move this to the MCOCD thread.

Thank you

what if some wasps show up...??

Kyle
10-10-2012, 06:55 PM
what if some wasps show up...??

I have brake cleaner and a ligher for them........ :)

Dino Don
10-10-2012, 09:58 PM
I have brake cleaner and a ligher for them........ :)

Bubba's blow torch I assume??? :D

SeaCup
10-11-2012, 01:58 PM
I tried this a while back and worked out pretty well, however I was pretty nervous at this stage. Here is a pic of my missing oil pan and oil pump.

Hope your try at this works out well for you too, good luck!

Ski-me
10-11-2012, 02:27 PM
^^^^ That's a stressful picture!! :o

Kyle
10-12-2012, 02:09 AM
So I'm back up and running again. So here is my story of my extremely stressful project.

To get the pan off like that you need to raise the engine with the engine mounts. I was not willing to do that.

You also have to remove the oil pump and pickup. I was not willing to do that either.

I removed the fuel pump and the water separator for more room.

I put a steel core nice pan gasket on and a nice main seal. Lets say they were almost $100 for the both of them.

I tried to talk nice to her all day but she fought me. Like the entire time and after several hours my choice of words for her went from patient to loss of control. Stuff was coming out of my mouth like I had Tourette syndrome.

Ok get to the point of cranking her over.

Aparantly I was a little too rough with the oil sending unit for the guage and cracked the tube that runs to the unit.

I crank the engine and look at the pan. Oil is dripping. I'm seriously angry at her at this point of my evening. I shut her off. I un screw the sending line and put a cap plug in the sending units spot. I had 65 psi with the leak so I was like plug her and I'll get a new connecting tube in the am. I OCD with the brake cleaner and clean up all of the oil dripped all over the pan. I restart her and run for 30 min. No leaks no drips no problems. Tomorrow I will build the oil sending unit brass tube and make it where the wire can have some more room than it has now.

Let me tell you. When I saw the leak I was pissed and seriously freaked out. I'm so glad it is the sending unit tube. I was a little rough putting the fuel pump back on and frankly sick of her fighting me.

I'll get her fixed within 10 min tomorrow and then worry anoint cleaning the bilge.