PDA

View Full Version : 2003-05 X2 factory Heater location

bjen
10-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Winter project is to add a heater to my new to me this year X2. Does anyone have a picture they can send me or post of the factory location of the actual heater core unit?

Im pretty sure it was in the cubby behind spotters seat but have heard mention of behind drivers kick-plate.

Was the factory unit 2 outlet?

The only one I have seen (briefly) in person had a pull out outlet (hot-tube?) in one of the cupholders in the spotter seat dash and a fixed outlet by drivers legs-
I don't see the drivers kick-plate working (sub) and the cubby is pretty crowded with amps/batteries and would probably end up making that space too full for storage?

Advice?

willyt
10-10-2012, 06:10 PM
i installed a heater in my 05 X2 a couple years ago. i actually put it on the floor under the port bench area - jammed as far back as i could without it hitting the 750 i had plumbed back there. that location worked really well - ran the pull out hot tubes below the factory cooler. never got around to installing the third pull out hot tube - was going to come out under the the observer's seat

mallees
10-10-2012, 07:05 PM
I installed a 3 outlet unit in my 04 X2 a few months ago I ended up putting the unit in the starboard side ski locker, up high, behind the back seat. 1 Hot tube under the cooler tub, and another hot tube next to port speaker, also adjustable vent in drivers kick panel.

jafo9
10-11-2012, 10:39 AM
not sure if this helps, but my 02 X30 has the factory 2 vent core behind the kick panel under the drivers console. i had to replace it as it was capped off 2nd to a core leak. i found out that it is capable of several speeds, but it was wired as an on/off with only the "hi" speed available. it is wired into one of the "acc" switches on the factory panel just below the ignition key.

where ever you put it, make sure you plan for some quick connects in a convenient location to make draining in the winter easier. it would also be nice to put it in a spot where you can detect a leak as soon as it happens so you aren't venting hot water into your bilge.

bjen
10-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the advice, when you run one of the ducts from the back locker to the drivers or spotters area, does it still have much air movement/volume?

mallees
10-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the advice, when you run one of the ducts from the back locker to the drivers or spotters area, does it still have much air movement/volume?

The spotters area has heaps of air, but the drivers outlet is smaller and the hose is crushed a little bit to get past the helm, so it suffers a bit. I have been toying with the idea of installing a shutoff on the back outlet, this should force more air to the driver.

wheelerd
10-12-2012, 02:47 AM
The spotters area has heaps of air, but the drivers outlet is smaller and the hose is crushed a little bit to get past the helm, so it suffers a bit. I have been toying with the idea of installing a shutoff on the back outlet, this should force more air to the driver.

My 05 X2 has the factory heater. It is a two-duct unit mounted on the port side just ahead of the spotters seat. It is mounted up under the seat support which is good because the water drains down into the inlet and return hoses when it comes time to winterize.

One duct (a hot tube) exits along the port seats and blows great. As mentioned above, the one going to the driver's side doesn't blow as well -- there are more twists and turns and the outlet is smaller.

I might be able to get some pics on the weekend as I'm in the final winterizing stage.

Sure is nice on the nippy days on the water!

bjen
10-12-2012, 03:17 PM
OK, thanks for the info guys-seems like it makes more sense to put the unit up front if I can fit it up there and run water lines than from the engine rather than the reverse and run heat ducts to the front, someone is always in the spotters seat behind the windshield, not so much the back bench.
wheelerd-where are you in AB? if your close, maybe I could take a peek.....

My 05 X2 has the factory heater. It is a two-duct unit mounted on the port side just ahead of the spotters seat. It is mounted up under the seat support which is good because the water drains down into the inlet and return hoses when it comes time to winterize.

One duct (a hot tube) exits along the port seats and blows great. As mentioned above, the one going to the driver's side doesn't blow as well -- there are more twists and turns and the outlet is smaller.

I might be able to get some pics on the weekend as I'm in the final winterizing stage.

Sure is nice on the nippy days on the water!

wheelerd
10-12-2012, 06:08 PM
I'm in SE Red Deer. If you're close you're more than welcome to have a look. Otherwise I'll definitely try to get some pics if you want.
What year is your X2?

bjen
10-13-2012, 08:40 PM
OK, im in Edmonton so not across the street. If you happen to have it open and snap a few pictures, that would be great but I have not even picked up the kit yet so will not be starting on it until next month probably.
Have an '03 that i picked up in the summer-so far love it, bad fuel sensor and one ballast pump but been great on the lake.

I'm in SE Red Deer. If you're close you're more than welcome to have a look. Otherwise I'll definitely try to get some pics if you want.
What year is your X2?

wheelerd
10-15-2012, 01:27 AM
Got some pics today. The heater unit is screwed to the port panel behind the observer's seat that separates the storage area from the bow seats. The two ducts run off the top of the unit. I've also included a pic of the hose attachment points on the engine. The supply hose runs from the fitting with the tap knob on the intake manifold. The return hose attaches to the fitting down on the water pump.

I installed a 2-duct Heatercraft unit on my previous X5 and mounted it on the floor in the storage compartment behind the observer's seat tucked under the main amp. I've attached a couple pics. You can see where I installed a hot tube under the observer's seat; another outlet is under the helm for the driver. For the return hose I used the Y-fitting from Ski-Dim that inserts into the hose in front of the raw water pump. You can see it just at the bottom of the engine pic. It helps keep the water circulating at idle. The supply hose is just above the water pump pulley.

bjen
10-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Perfect, exactly what i was looking for.
Thanks

Got some pics today. The heater unit is screwed to the port panel behind the observer's seat that separates the storage area from the bow seats. The two ducts run off the top of the unit. I've also included a pic of the hose attachment points on the engine. The supply hose runs from the fitting with the tap knob on the intake manifold. The return hose attaches to the fitting down on the water pump.

I installed a 2-duct Heatercraft unit on my previous X5 and mounted it on the floor in the storage compartment behind the observer's seat tucked under the main amp. I've attached a couple pics. You can see where I installed a hot tube under the observer's seat; another outlet is under the helm for the driver. For the return hose I used the Y-fitting from Ski-Dim that inserts into the hose in front of the raw water pump. You can see it just at the bottom of the engine pic. It helps keep the water circulating at idle. The supply hose is just above the water pump pulley.

Memo
10-17-2012, 11:33 AM
This is a great post on heater installation on 205V, X2 and X1.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/282619.html