PDA

View Full Version : 1977 Jeep CJ5 questions

milkmania
10-10-2012, 12:46 PM
I know there's some Jeepers here.....
what would be a good deal on a 1977 CJ5 with 304 V8 & standard trans???
kicking the tires on this one....

milkmania
10-10-2012, 12:47 PM

mzimme
10-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Around here, that would probably go for around 3500. Looks clean.

milkmania
10-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Around here, that would probably go for around 3500. Looks clean.

Looked pretty clean and solid... Didn't see any glaring defects and you know how easy parts sre to get anyway.
I think it's a good slate to build upon.

Haven't talked to owner yet.
Small car lot at a guy's house.

LYNRDSKYNRD
10-10-2012, 01:50 PM
I had a 77 check for rust behind the treadplate. Rocker panels were bad about rusting out as was the area under the tailgate. Also 77 had two piece splined axle and hubs that are prone to failure...ask me how I know. I loved my 77 and the 304 was awesome in it also my gas tank was in bad shape IIRC.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

jkski
10-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Couple of things to consider/look at:
1) The diamond plate is typical Jeep bondo in the areas where they have it....chances are very good that it rusted thru and rather than fixing the problem they covered it. Could be wrong but be sure to check and see if new/unmolested metal is behind the diamond plate.

2) Look closely at the frame rails especially back by the rear shackles as they tend to be rusted thru. I believe you can get new frame rail sections to replace this area but you may have to remove the body to fix it right.

That being said, in my area that is a $2k Jeep as it sits.
Good luck and if you get it be sure to learn the "Jeep Wave" quickly.

Ski-me
10-10-2012, 02:05 PM
What does the underside look like? Pretty stock or does it look like it's been touched/modified a bit?

Warn Premium front hubs.....sweet score! :D

Sullivan
10-10-2012, 02:27 PM
Lift the floor covering and look for rust under the covering.

milkmania
10-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Good points, I'll be crawling all over it once I make contact with the guy... I was in suit today, so I only looked where I could.
I could understand rusting out floor pans, simply because if left in rain.

Appears to have sat a lot, because of that light surface rust that gets on the frame, steering components, etc...
I used the roll bar to rock the body side to side... Seemed to have a lot of movement... Almost like no shocks.

LYNRDSKYNRD
10-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Looks like it has Best-Top halfdoors, folded down top supports, and top channel running around the body.....that's a good soft top if it comes with it complete.

If you are getting on it that 304 with a 3 speed will really sit down in the back end when you hit second.

Thrall
10-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Appears to be in pretty good condition, possibly original paint?

As others said, look for rot behind the diamond plates and on the floor board. Also check the frame for rust at the suspension mounting points.
Is it an original 304 or a transplant?
Is the wiring original, in good shape, hacked up, or new harness?
Assuming the body is in good shape and mechanically it's sound, I'd say it's worth $4k-5k retail. Have to factor what kind of work it might need too. Prices are obviously all over the place with old Jeeps, $1500 to $15000.
Best bet is get on CL, search CJ5, write down the asking price of all the ones that look remotely comparable, 6 or 8cyl, there will be plenty for sale. Throw out the pole smokers (high priced), avg out the rest of the #'s and subtract 10%. That's what it's worth.

Here's mine, '74, all original, not much rust, everything works on it, 6cyl. I paid $1500 for it (that was a good deal!), minimal $ into it, new soft top, exhaust and minor mech work (tune up, water pump, rebuilt the carb). I've been offered $4k cash for it and it wasn't for sale.