PDA

View Full Version : subwoofer, amp, and cd changer location for a 197

mtripper
09-06-2005, 05:19 PM
I'm condsidering upgrading the stereo in my 197 and wondered if anybody knows where the factory stock locations are for an amp, subwoofer, and cd changer? Also, other then stock locations where are people having good luck installing these items? Does anybody have any pictures of their installation in a 197?

rodltg2
09-06-2005, 05:23 PM
i would suggest an ipod over the cd changer. subwoofer can be installed under the console and in a box underr the observer seat. here are some oics of whta i did...

rodltg2
09-06-2005, 05:24 PM
another...................

jmyers
09-06-2005, 05:25 PM
I'm condsidering upgrading the stereo in my 197 and wondered if anybody knows where the factory stock locations are for an amp, subwoofer, and cd changer? Also, other then stock locations where are people having good luck installing these items? Does anybody have any pictures of their installation in a 197?
My amps are mounted on the right side of the storage area on the wall under the front seat, and the cd changer is mounted under the seat left side we hot glued a piece of plywood on the left side in the front corner of the fiberglass and screwed the changer into that it is out of the way and flush with the seat box. They put the subwoofer in the foot plate under the driver seat from the factory! Hope that helps. :smile:
If you look at Rods my amps are horizontal on top of eachother on that wall, and the cd changer is under the front left corner!

Ric
09-06-2005, 05:30 PM
that pic of rodl's sub is right above the driver's footrest and the hole for a 10" Sub is already cut in the starboard material which is covered in carpet from the factory.
my amps are located all on the rh side wall when facing into the observers storage area OFF the floor to keep them dry. (just like the black one in rodl's pic)
(oh and there is a tunnel under the ice chest to run cables from observers storage to just in front of the drivers footrest.)

Rodl, I like how you loomed the wires in the black conduit, I've been trying to tuck and hide cables for a week now and it looks like (*&*&%%$
is that sub sealed or free air?
I'm running my same old bridged sony to the jl free air sub in that location and haven't been able to get it dialed in to sound as well as my sealed kicker c10 on this same bridged amp.

rodltg2
09-06-2005, 05:36 PM
i purchased the sub under the assupmtion from the sales goon that it was a free air but it turns out it isnt. it sounds ok but not that great. either way all that suff has been pulled out now. in order not to leave a big hole in the kick panel i will probably put a cheap subwoofer there and the new owner can upgrade it later.

Ric
09-06-2005, 05:40 PM
i purchased the sub under the assupmtion from the sales goon that it was a free air but it turns out it isnt. it sounds ok but not that great. either way all that suff has been pulled out now. in order not to leave a big hole in the kick panel i will probably put a cheap subwoofer there and the new owner can upgrade it later.
I'm wondering if I somehow put my sealed enclosure in front of that panel and then put the panel back, if it will fit
I think diesel did it but I dont remember
I even wonder if I can mount my sealed enclosure to the backside of that panel and it will fit????? I may join the circus after putting my body into the positions needed to make that idea work :confused:

rodltg2
09-06-2005, 05:43 PM
thats what i was going to do. for obvious reasons i wont be now , but im still curious to see how it goes for you.

Diesel
09-07-2005, 09:40 AM
I'm wondering if I somehow put my sealed enclosure in front of that panel and then put the panel back, if it will fit
I think diesel did it but I dont remember
I even wonder if I can mount my sealed enclosure to the backside of that panel and it will fit????? I may join the circus after putting my body into the positions needed to make that idea work :confused:

Take your driver's seat off the pedestal to get better access....

I ditched the factory panel and replaced the entire unit with a box. This required relocating the fuse panel, MDC, Perfect Pass Module, and other misc. boxes/connectors. Not quite sure if the 197 has as much room as the 209 under the driver's console. Here are a few pics..........

Finished Product
http://img276.imageshack.us/img276/4092/dsc016541nq.jpg

Initial Fit-Up
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/3259/dsc015591lm.jpg

Diesel
09-07-2005, 09:41 AM
Relocated Fuse Panel to the front storage
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9909/dsc015777in.jpg

Relocated MDC, Temp Box, and Backside of Fuse Panel
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8263/dsc015821zb.jpg

Ric
09-07-2005, 10:02 AM
excellent
Looks like a wintertime project
I dont think I have that much room in the 197, I know I don't have front storage as an option.

Thinking aloud here but it probably isn't good to have the sub (especially the factory free air JL) mounted on the same unsupported board as the perfect pass and mdc if for no other concern, simply the vibration caused by the sub :confused:

mtripper
09-07-2005, 10:26 AM
That's a lot of great tips and photos, thanks. I didn't know about that factory cutout on the drivers side, what size sub is that for? Looks like the best place to mount the amp is on that walk through wall under the observers seat. How thick is that? What size screws did you use to mount the amp there? I've been leaning towards adding the jl free air sub and their 6 channel amp to power everything leaving the stock head unit and speakers. Do you guys think there is enough room on that wall under the observers seat for the cd changer and the amp?

Ric
09-07-2005, 10:36 AM
That hole is cut at the factory for a JL 10" sub
I did this on a 197 so I cannot answer for other setups
Yes, you can screw the amps to the walkthru under the observers and use the shortest screws you can but it's a pretty thick fiberglassed area
I have 3 amps and a satellite receiver under there so it's crowded and I have not yet re-mounted my fire extinguisher
I went with an amp and the sirius receiver on the backside of the bow seat area and then 2 amps on the walkthru wall. It's tight but if you have one of these newfangled, do everything amps, I think you could get a changer on that wall too.

That's a lot of great tips and photos, thanks. I didn't know about that factory cutout on the drivers side, what size sub is that for? Looks like the best place to mount the amp is on that walk through wall under the observers seat. How thick is that? What size screws did you use to mount the amp there? I've been leaning towards adding the jl free air sub and their 6 channel amp to power everything leaving the stock head unit and speakers. Do you guys think there is enough room on that wall under the observers seat for the cd changer and the amp?

mtripper
09-03-2012, 10:39 AM
I know it's a really old thread but I finally got around to mounting the cd changer I picked up a LONG time ago and thought I would share the pic. I made some brackets out of some scrap I had in the garage so I could straddle the amp with it and keep the storage area uncluttered.