PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Filter?

SkiMor
10-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Hi, I am doing my first Winterization on my 98 Sportstar. The boat manual doesn't mention the transmission flilter change, but the transmission manual does. It is an XF HSW450 tranmission. Should it be changed yearly? Anyone know a Napa part # ? Any tricks to this procedure?
Thank you,

mikeg205
10-08-2012, 10:36 PM
It's IIRC located on the underside of the transmission. I looked at doing mine and it appears either A you need special tools or "B" trans needs to be pulled to access.

Barefooter92
10-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Sorry, news to me and I am on my third year of self-winterization.

carlsonwa
10-09-2012, 05:31 PM
News to me as well, just got done winterizing my 99' Sportstar on Sunday.

mcparadise
10-09-2012, 07:21 PM
FWIW, I have a 98 Sportstar 19 closed bow and I bought the transmission filter/gasket, and manual, but the access is located on the bottom side, as mentioned by mikeg205, with hardly any clearance and the experienced marine mechanic could not get to it easily, and he was real concerned about trying because once he got it opened he might not be able to get a good seal during reinstall, etc....disaster.... Lifting/pulling the transmission was one idea and I said no way not at that time. So, I more frequently/meticuously change out the fluid, and I have the parts for another try someday.

Oh yeah, as I remember the filter is cylindrical metal mesh about an inch in dia. and about 1.5" long..way more lenght than clearance space there...I can check/confirm if anyone cares.

SkiMor
10-12-2012, 07:54 AM
Ok, sounds like I should not worry about it. I will stick to just the fluid changes. Thanks for the info.