PDA

View Full Version : Heated storage or not debate

Sierra Tango II
10-08-2012, 01:59 PM
I have the oppertunity to store my boat in heated storage for the winter at a cost of $350 bucks. What are the advantages? The only disadvantage I can see is loosening my pocket up of the ching, however if its worth it, no worries. If its not necessary, Im gonna store it in my garage. Any thoughts and/or opinions?

barefoot
10-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Seems like a no-brainer to me. I'd jump all over that.

Double D
10-08-2012, 02:34 PM
I have a contact with heated space available for $35 a month in Canton, Ohio. Since I have a heated garage already I don't need it, and I am not sure what space is still available. Let me know if anyone close still needs storage.

park190
10-08-2012, 02:38 PM
If I could find heated storage near the Twin Cities for that price I would be all over it. Besides it will free up space in the garage for winter projects:)

I have the oppertunity to store my boat in heated storage for the winter at a cost of $350 bucks. What are the advantages? The only disadvantage I can see is loosening my pocket up of the ching, however if its worth it, no worries. If its not necessary, Im gonna store it in my garage. Any thoughts and/or opinions?

bobx1
10-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Would you still drain the block just in case the storage facility has a power outage?

bturner2
10-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Would you still drain the block just in case the storage facility has a power outage?

Absolutely. Just because it's heated today doesn't mean it will be after an ice storm.

I've stored my boats from outside under a canvas to heated storage and everything in between. Nothing beats the condition your boat will be in come spring than heated indoor storage on a cement floor. No chance of water seeping into an old cover, no damage due to poorly installed shrink wrap and no damage due to high winds or falling debris that winter storms around hear all too often bring. It should basically look exactly like the day you covered it up without the damage that severe cold can do to vinyl and rubber.

CantRepeat
10-08-2012, 03:19 PM

I would still put anti freeze in regardless of heated storage or not. My thinking is, why just drain the block when you can put anti freeze in there which has some anti corrosion properties? If you leave it empty and full of air you are inviting rust and corrosion for the time it is in storage.

CantRepeat
10-08-2012, 03:22 PM

Just winterize it and store it in your garage. Save the cash for something else.

bobx1
10-08-2012, 03:26 PM
Being from the south, we dont have to deal with this so when I see anyone mention heated storage then I am curious as to why someone would pay for heated storage when there is a chance (possibly remote - but I dont know) of the place losing power. If you have to winterize to protect from that then why pay extra for heated storage? Again, I have no idea as to the advantages of heated storage other than it may protect the interior better or other stuff?

Just curious.

EDIT - sorry, did not see your post B Turner. Makes sense that the heated storage offers protection for the interior and vinyl.

Double D
10-08-2012, 03:31 PM
If I was storing off site and it was heated, I would still winterize. Being at home it allows me to keep it in operational use a lot longer before I put it away for good. Just in case we get a warm spell....

TxsRiverRat
10-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Why not drain it, store it in your garage and buy a $50-$75 postable heater to keep the garage warm? That seems like the best option to me...

Ski-me
10-08-2012, 03:55 PM
If I was storing off site and it was heated, I would still winterize. Being at home it allows me to keep it in operational use a lot longer before I put it away for good. Just in case we get a warm spell....

:D:D:cool:

Sierra Tango II
10-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Im definately still going to winterize it. I feel that leaving rv antifreeze in the block is better for the block than nothing at all, and theres always that what if. I have a buddy of mine that ran a marina a few years back that let people have access to their boat. Apparently one of the "tennants" shut the power off to the heat instead of the lights and they lost heat.....and thats just my luck. I just bought this boat and its my baby. I want the best for it, but if it doesnt matter, Im just gonna put the money towards a new ski for my daughter.