PDA

View Full Version : Winterization Question

Huskie05
10-08-2012, 12:51 PM
Should I be changing all the oil and transmission fluid before the winter? Better to store the boat with new oil and the like? Boat is ready for winterization, just thinking about changing the oil and transmission fluid. Thank you!
Side note, second year in a row we put 110+ hours on the X55! What a great way to spend time with the family and friends. Now I will be herding kids down the ski slopes buying $15 burgers and $5 hot chocolates. Sometimes I believe the gas money for boats is cheaper than other sports. I have 6 kids, do the math! 

CantRepeat
10-08-2012, 01:02 PM
I always change before storage.

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=103139&postcount=6

CC2MC
10-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Holy crap, six kids! More power to ya. I had to keep my 2 nieces and 1 nephew this weekend along with my two that range from 7 months to 5 years and I was totally exhausted when they left. Don't know how you do it. I just hope for your sake most of those kids are boys, other wise you have a few weddings to be saving up for.

Sierra Tango II
10-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Good question! I was told that if you change the oil before winter that you remove all of the impurities that are generated during run time and that its better to let it set with "virgin oil" in it. I have also heard that condensation can form in your oil pan during winter due to hot and cold weather swings, causing water to build up in the pan. Im changing mine, and will check it again in the spring before use. To me it seems far fetched that that much condensation would build up, but who knows.

Huskie05
10-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Holy crap, six kids! More power to ya. I had to keep my 2 nieces and 1 nephew this weekend along with my two that range from 7 months to 5 years and I was totally exhausted when they left. Don't know how you do it. I just hope for your sake most of those kids are boys, other wise you have a few weddings to be saving up for.

Two in college, one boy and one girl, 3 girls in High School, and a 11 year old boy. Weddings are the least of my worries, its the college that's expensive. Ouch! :(

GoneBoatN
10-08-2012, 05:19 PM
WRT to changing the engine oil at the end of the season, the reasons I've seen discussed include:

"even after a short amount of time on it, builds up acids and impurities in the oil"
+
"the hydrocarbons from combustion make the oil acidic"
+
"The acids will etch the surfaces of the metal. Bad news for bearings, crank etc"
+
"for the reasons of fuel dilution and water/condensation in the oil"

For the transmission, the concern is mainly the possibility of water/condensation comtamination.

Last quote:
"Oils cheap, engines aren't"

mikeg205
10-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Fluids are cheap...even synth tranny fluid...

New oil my opinion for winter storage... Not sure PH of oil could get low enough to start etching metal.

If your really MCD-OC like me - I change oil and run motor for a few minutes to circulate clean oil thru motor before storage.....I also change oil at 25-30 hours...