PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Spring Disaster

memphis23
10-08-2012, 10:33 AM
OK how about some irony. Take the boat to Lake Eufaula to take the boat off the trailer and to use all of the many great suggestions I got right here on TT to rebuild the bunks. Everything goes great (alot longer a project than I would have expected but still a success).

While traveling south back to TX I hit a couple of whoops in the road and then it happened. BLAM, SMOKE everywhere behind me. Of course I was right beside and 18 wheeler when it happened. Very exciting maneuvering over off the road. On my 1988 prostar the right leaf spring is broke and the fiberglass is sitting on the tire. (how it did not shatter I will never know).

My question: (first I know everyone is going to say get a tandem and yes the wife and I have discussed) with that being said.

I need to upgrade my springs to a heavier duty spring than what came with the boat!

Anybody know Where I can get them and how do you know if they are actually more heavy duty? number of springs etc...

thanks
guys

CantRepeat
10-08-2012, 10:37 AM
www.etrailer.com

Give them a call and tell them what you have.

barefoot
10-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Had this happen to a buddy with his old boat...We went to a Fleet Farm and picked up a spring for $25. Same spring as what was on the trailer before.

memphis23
10-08-2012, 03:02 PM
I will post pics later on how I used a over leaf helper kit from oriely's to get us back home, My wife gets to the only auto store for miles open on Sunday 5 minutes before close and asks if there are any tow trucks available? Nope sugar not on Sunday. So this rig is either going to work or I am sleeping in the boat with the first cold front of the year blowing in. Crazy Man Crazy

d2jp
10-08-2012, 03:20 PM
good luck and that's it, i'm changing the springs on my '89 before i go anywhere.

mustangtexas
10-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Be careful upping the spring rate on your trailer. A common mistake is to “over capacity” a trailer which in turns does not allow the springs to work as designed. You will end up with a stiff suspension that will cause the boat, or whatever you carry on a trailer, to endure more stress from bumps and vibration. A proper suspension with absorb the road not transfer it.

memphis23
10-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Be careful upping the spring rate on your trailer. A common mistake is to “over capacity” a trailer which in turns does not allow the springs to work as designed. You will end up with a stiff suspension that will cause the boat, or whatever you carry on a trailer, to endure more stress from bumps and vibration. A proper suspension with absorb the road not transfer it.

Yes over spring rate can be a problem, but the factory puts 1860 lbs stock springs per side to support a 2,400lbs. boat and a 800-1,000lbs. trailer when you start loading your boat up with gas and gear you very quickly can go past how the manufacturer set the trailer up. for example:

2.400 boat
1,000 trailer
3,400 total

3,720 spring rate everything is good

now add

2.400 boat
1,000 trailer
200 gas
100 cooler
100 boards and skis
35 tools
500 tower
30 amps and tower speakers and lights
4,365 total

now lets look at those 1,860 springs after a little hop on the road at 65 miles an hour

4,365 total weight
3,720 spring rate

645lbs. over ouch! boom bang and crash is just what happened to me.

I went to a 2,800lbs spring and a d load 2520 capacity tire

Skipper
10-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Yes over spring rate can be a problem, but the factory puts 1860 lbs stock springs per side to support a 2,400lbs. boat and a 800-1,000lbs. trailer when you start loading your boat up with gas and gear you very quickly can go past how the manufacturer set the trailer up. for example:

2.400 boat
1,000 trailer
3,400 total

3,720 spring rate everything is good

now add

2.400 boat
1,000 trailer
200 gas
100 cooler
100 boards and skis
35 tools
500 tower
30 amps and tower speakers and lights
4,365 total

now lets look at those 1,860 springs after a little hop on the road at 65 miles an hour

4,365 total weight
3,720 spring rate

645lbs. over ouch! boom bang and crash is just what happened to me.

I went to a 2,800lbs spring and a d load 2520 capacity tire

Good plan, very scientific approach to resolving the problem. I put larger springs on my '95 trailer too. But I didn't do all that math...

gotta_ski
10-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Your tower weighs 500 pounds?!?!? What is it made out of, iron? Do you have a tuna tower with a fly bridge up there?

memphis23
10-12-2012, 04:55 PM
I was guesstamating on the Tower to the heavy side. I am gonna try it out tomorrow. I will let you know how she rides.

Ben
10-12-2012, 06:33 PM

X2.

Spring rate deals with mass, rate, displacement of spring. A spring is "designed" for a certain mass. Ever ride in an empty F350 or dump truck?

Shocks have a huge affect as well on ride, but doesn't apply here.

"Over kill" is good in many applications if cost is not a factor. I would not consider this one of them.

Ben
10-12-2012, 06:35 PM
I was guesstamating on the Tower to the heavy side. I am gonna try it out tomorrow. I will let you know how she rides.

You anywhere near a scale? 100 lbs seems like a lot of skis and boards too.

Not trying to be an ***, just don't want to see you rattle stuff apart...

memphis23
10-13-2012, 10:15 AM
Bottom line I broke what the manufacturer spec was supposed to be

I would rather rattle my stuff a little then have a fender drop on a tire
then the tire blow, then the wheel and axle hit the pavement to only then tear the axle completely off
And now the tail is wagging the dog

memphis23
10-14-2012, 09:25 AM
New springs out for a 75 mile ride to the lake today and the trailer gets an A+smoother and straighter handling no big bouncy hops like I used to have, definitely happy with the upgrade

Dang that water is getting cold.

Ben
10-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Goo to hear. My season ended a while ago. Hope be skating on the lake in a few months....

Phntmski
10-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Memphis, did you do this yourself, with boat on trailer?

JimN
10-14-2012, 10:54 AM

I would rather rattle my stuff a little then have a fender drop on a tire
then the tire blow, then the wheel and axle hit the pavement to only then tear the axle completely off
And now the tail is wagging the dog

What part of the spring broke? End, middle...?

Voodoo
10-14-2012, 11:29 AM
I had a leaf spring break a couple of months ago. Fortunately there was no damage.

My trailer weighs 500lbs and the boat weighs 2200lbs. The original springs were rated at 1500 each. The closest match at my local supply house was 2000lbs each which I bought (2) and included all associated new hardware. The job cost $120 and took 3 hours -- the careful jacking and safety blocking took the first hour. So far it is working well.

voodoo

memphis23
10-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Jim it was the top spring 3" away from the eye.

Yes I did all the work myself with boat on trailer and agree with voodoo good jack stands ands about an
Hour

Make sure to re check bolt tightness
after the first tow out

milkmania
10-14-2012, 11:52 AM

Yes I did all the work myself and agree with voodoo good jack stands ands about an
Hour

after the first tow out

did you have the luxury of working on an empty trailer?
mine broke at the campsite, was able to launch, went to town for 2 new springs.....
worked out great with a jack and being able to reach all the bolts from the top.

mikeg205
10-14-2012, 12:05 PM

Yes I did all the work myself with boat on trailer and agree with voodoo good jack stands ands about an
Hour

after the first tow out

Hey memphis...any pictures? I am changing my springs in the spring... where did you source your springs?

memphis23
10-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Eagle springs: http://www.eaglesuspensions.com/

Your measurement is very important. Many dealers will measure eye to eye I don't like this as I don't think it is as accurate as measuring from the center holding bolt to the front eye.

No pics as I was flying through this project but I will take a few of the finished product

memphis23
10-14-2012, 03:01 PM
Milk. No such luck I broke it on the highway and then limped home on a rig I made out of a helper spring kit from Oreily's

Then once in the safety of home base driveway used a 2.5 ton floor jack and 4 jack stands and I am sure it was not as fast as how you did yours but it still made for pretty quick work

CantRepeat
10-14-2012, 03:16 PM

Remember, you broke 24 year old springs.

I'm not saying you don't need a heavier spring. I'm just saying fatigue played a roll in it.

memphis23
10-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Yes they were 24 years old but they never rode like the new ones I have on now. Maybe they did in 88 I guess but I am loving looking back at the trailer and getting very bored because there is absolutely nothing going on but rolling down the road