PDA

View Full Version : changing transmission fluid

Miss Rita
10-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Time to change the fluid in my 1:1 Velvet Drive. Stupid question: what size tubing do I need? My pump has 1/2" tubing on it, would that be too big? Do I need to size it down to 1/4"? TIA

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-08-2012, 10:10 AM
1/2" will work just fine, of course a smaller hose allows getting into the nooks of the transmission.

Ski-me
10-08-2012, 10:26 AM
I've never done my tranny but I think I will do it in the next few weeks. Am I crazy/won't work to think I can just use a "turkey baster"?!? It's only 2 quarts so not a lot of fluid to replace.

Just thinking outloud....:confused::o

CantRepeat
10-08-2012, 10:53 AM
I've never done my tranny but I think I will do it in the next few weeks. Am I crazy/won't work to think I can just use a "turkey baster"?!? It's only 2 quarts so not a lot of fluid to replace.

Might be at it a while. Get one of those $20 siphon pumps from walmart. They work well on both trans and engine.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/K-Tool-International-72250-Deluxe-Siphon-Pump/16609998?findingMethod=rr

TxsRiverRat
10-08-2012, 11:07 AM
I just changed mine yesterday and used one of those electric pumps that hooks up to the boat's battery and it did a great job. Took about 30 minutes to make sure it mostly pumped out.

BTW - the fully synthetic Mobil1 can be used for those dextron 2 engines.

Ski-me
10-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Sounds cool, thanks.:cool:

CC2MC
10-08-2012, 11:39 AM
I say no to the hand pump. I have one and it worked fine the first couple of oil changes, but after about three years, that thing leaks and the hose popped off twice on me. Good thing I had towels on the floor or it would have been a nice oil spot. I invested $30 in the electric pump that hooks to your battery as mentioned by TxsRiverRat and it was much faster and easier. Wish I had done that sooner.

strad
10-08-2012, 06:36 PM
^^Where did that $30 pump come from? I have not been able to find one for cheap like that. And I need one to do the engine oil.

mikeg205
10-08-2012, 08:17 PM
don't go too cheap -- the tubing is for crap...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pela-6-5-Liter-Oil-Extractor-4-Auto-Marine-Mower-PL-650-/330764894314?pt=US_Outdoor_Power_Equipment&hash=item4d031fc06a

not cheap - but good tubing and it lasts...bought a cheaper one and had to replace all tubing...and pump is not great but still works...

Legolamb
10-09-2012, 07:19 AM
http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-transfer-pump-66418.html

Used this for my tranny fluid, worked great.

Ski-me
10-09-2012, 12:45 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-transfer-pump-66418.html

Used this for my tranny fluid, worked great.

This is the one I bought at Autozone.....

skijwr
10-09-2012, 08:45 PM
I also used the Harbor Freight hand pump mentioned already, its on sale for $8.
I used this cheap pump for the tranny fluid. I think I was done pumping in less than 2 minutes.
As mentioned, keep the hoses pushed in firmly into the pump housing. the hoses can slip loose if they are pulled.
I kept the whole pump rig away from my carpet, just in case it dripped.
Works fine for once a year.
If I was a pro mechanic changing tranny fluid every day, I would buy a better quality pump.
oh yeah, the original post asked about the tubing diameter, this HF pump comes with 1/2" dia tubing, works fine for me. I think you can only get maybe 75% of the tranny fluid out, depending on if you can shove the tube to the bottom of the tranny case.

Miss Rita
10-15-2012, 10:54 PM
I pumped out the fluid, used some 3/8" OD tubing, jammed it in as far as it would go. My el-cheapo hand-me-down pump worked well, I was clearly sucking air out of the bottom of the transmission. Problem: I only pumped out 1.5 qts. There's no way another pint of fluid is hiding in there.

The capacity of my 1:1 VelvetDrive is supposed to be 2 quarts. Should I expect to be able to pump out a full two quarts of fluid?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-16-2012, 08:16 AM
I pumped out the fluid, used some 3/8" OD tubing, jammed it in as far as it would go. My el-cheapo hand-me-down pump worked well, I was clearly sucking air out of the bottom of the transmission. Problem: I only pumped out 1.5 qts. There's no way another pint of fluid is hiding in there.

The capacity of my 1:1 VelvetDrive is supposed to be 2 quarts. Should I expect to be able to pump out a full two quarts of fluid?

No, because the front pump is going to hold an amout

Miss Rita
10-16-2012, 09:31 AM
If y'all agree, I'm going to add 1.5 qts of new fluid, run it up to operating temperature in the driveway, and, if the dipstick reads full, call it good.

Last stupid question (for now): Adding 1.5 qts of synthetic fluid to the remaining 1/2 qt of dino fluid in the tranny isn't a problem, right?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-16-2012, 10:29 AM
If y'all agree, I'm going to add 1.5 qts of new fluid, run it up to operating temperature in the driveway, and, if the dipstick reads full, call it good.

Last stupid question (for now): Adding 1.5 qts of synthetic fluid to the remaining 1/2 qt of dino fluid in the tranny isn't a problem, right?

yep, no problem mixing conventional and synthetic fluids, if you are still concerned, fill, run it then change fluid again...

Ski-me
10-16-2012, 10:31 AM

You don't want to run the tranny in the driveway as I think it needs the lake water to lubricate the shaft, etc.

I only got out 1 Quart, 4 Oz doing the hand pump. I heard a lot of sucking "air" so I don't know where the rest of the oil is (I guess pump as noted above)??

I replaced with the same amount of synthetic. I wouldn't think mixing some synthetic with some dino is harmful. It's only 2 quarts total anyways.....

If you want to flush it, run it in the lake for awhile and then change the fluid again. That way you would proportionally have more synthetic in there if you wanted.

Miss Rita
10-16-2012, 11:49 AM
I know to not put the transmission in gear while running the engine out of the water as it will destroy the strut bearing. Does the transmission fluid circulate and get warm if the engine is running and the transmission remains in neutral?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-16-2012, 12:56 PM
I know to not put the transmission in gear while running the engine out of the water as it will destroy the strut bearing. Does the transmission fluid circulate and get warm if the engine is running and the transmission remains in neutral?

Yes transmission will circulate fluid in neutral.

mcparadise
10-16-2012, 02:06 PM
Yes transmission will circulate fluid in neutral.

Just for learning, what warms the transmission fluid while in neutral? Is it just the engine heating up and transmitting heat there? No fluid is going to the tranny cooler in this case, right?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Just for learning, what warms the transmission fluid while in neutral? Is it just the engine heating up and transmitting heat there? No fluid is going to the tranny cooler in this case, right?

The transmission front oil pump is always operating and thus the unit pressurized when the engine is running. When the transmission is in neutral the flow of ATF to the clutches is blocked by the control valve but fluid is flowing throughout the rest of the unit including the cooler, it will warm itself. The transmission doesn't really need to be warmed up it just needs to be operated at idle for a short time to ensure all fluid circuits are filled before checking the oil level.

mcparadise
10-16-2012, 08:17 PM
The transmission front oil pump is always operating and thus the unit pressurized when the engine is running. When the transmission is in neutral the flow of ATF to the clutches is blocked by the control valve but fluid is flowing throughout the rest of the unit including the cooler, it will warm itself. The transmission doesn't really need to be warmed up it just needs to be operated at idle for a short time to ensure all fluid circuits are filled before checking the oil level.

THANX for the wisdom!

Thrall
10-18-2012, 11:51 AM

I've used a turkey baster before on the trans and many other things. Reminds me, I need to go steal another one from the kitchen, my shop baster is wore out!

Use a piece of hose on the end of it to get down close to the bottom of the trans.
IIRC, the gear boxes hold close to 3qts. I can usually get 2-2-1/2 qts out.