PDA

View Full Version : another stupid winterizing question

Miss Rita
10-05-2012, 11:14 AM
On my '91 SkiPro with MerCruiser sterndrive, the winterizing instructions state the last thing to do each season is to pour about one pint of 20W oil into the carb at a fast idle to fog the engine. I've done this for the past 21 years, seems to work great. It smokes like crazy in the spring, kind of fun to watch. I've never pulled the plugs and fogged each cylinder individually.

Is there any good reason not to follow the same procedure for my '89 TriStar with the 351 engine/Holley 4160 carb?

Lumbergh
10-05-2012, 11:33 AM
I do it like that, and that is what the Indmar winterizing checklist states to do as well.

Marvel Mystery Oil is what I use, pour slowly into carb until engine quit. Some nice smoke and done.

mikeg205
10-05-2012, 11:34 AM
20w seems a bit heavy... I use Marvel Mys..Oil to fog thru intake...I have a TBI - I too get smoke like crazy when it gets to cylinders...and then in the spring...

Jason.H.
10-05-2012, 11:41 AM
I poured the mystery oil into my tristar 351 last year like you said through the carb and it worked. Mine, however, did not kill the engine haha. I poured the whole bottle in slowly just waiting for it to choke out. It just kept on chugging though, so once it started to smoke a bit I just cut the engine off. Smoked like a freight train when I started it on the hose in march! It was awesome

mikeg205
10-05-2012, 11:44 AM
I poured the mystery oil into my tristar 351 last year like you said through the carb and it worked. Mine, however, did not kill the engine haha. I poured the whole bottle in slowly just waiting for it to choke out. It just kept on chugging though, so once it started to smoke a bit I just cut the engine off. Smoked like a freight train when I started it on the hose in march! It was awesome

Mine does not kill the engine either...last year the light breeze blew the white smoke over the boat... I just about keeled over...:D

thatsmrmastercraft
10-05-2012, 11:58 AM
I have never felt the need to dump that much oil. I always use a aerosol marine fogging oil. Works just as well, and no huge cloud of smoke.

mzimme
10-05-2012, 12:05 PM
I have never felt the need to dump that much oil. I always use a aerosol marine fogging oil. Works just as well, and no huge cloud of smoke.

That's the stuff I just used. Killed the motor while sucking in anti-freeze with it, then pulled the plugs and sprayed it in the cylinders for a few seconds each.

ctjahn
10-05-2012, 12:15 PM
That's the stuff I just used. Killed the motor while sucking in anti-freeze with it, then pulled the plugs and sprayed it in the cylinders for a few seconds each.

I use fogging oil but I run it out of gas while running anti-freeze though it, then pull the plugs and spray it down the cyl. Turn it over, repeat, and then put the plugs back in....

A pt sounds like a lot...

cj