PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Jacks

TxsRiverRat
10-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Trailer: Standard MC single axle
Jack: POS from Northern Tool.

I need something better. before anyone points me at the Fulton F2 jack thread, I have read it. Several times.

Problem is that noone is making the adapter plates anymore.

I have one ski club member that has on bolted to his trailer, which is just fine, but he claims itís also a POS. And he says he greases the hell out of it, but it still sucks.

So...

1. Can anyone else with an F2 Fulton give me a progress report on its durability before I invest $140 on it?

2. Does anyone else have a trailer like mine and a non-factory jack they are happy with?

if, so, please LMK what you have and if you have a pic of the application, that would be great.

Thanks guys

MC

bturner2
10-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Hmmm, last I heard we were. We do now require you to measure your existing plate to make sure we get you the right one. I'll check with Mark again to see if something has changed but last I heard we still had several already cut and ready to go.

As to how I like my F2.... It seems to work very well for me. The best part of the jack for me was being able to adjust the height and therefore the lift. I used to have issues with depending how the trailer was sitting the tongue wouldn't lift high enough to get on the ball. The adjustment allowed on the F2 eliminated this issue. I bought the dual wheel F2 but probably would recommend the single wheel to others.

Sodar
10-04-2012, 12:50 PM
What does he hate about the F2? I've been very pleased.

IMHO, buy an F2 with the welded-on plate. Ask your buddy Kyle to drill 4 holes in the plate and countersink the heads for your, so you don't break a nail or damage a cuticle. From there, bolt the plate to your trailer and the F2 to the plate. Very simple, clean and by far the best jack out there.

This jack (http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jack/Fulton/F1413060334.html) comes with a plate (http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Fulton/F500277.html). It just takes a little work to drill the holes and countersink them to make the adapter plate.

TxsRiverRat
10-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Hmmm, last I heard we were. We do now require you to measure your existing plate to make sure we get you the right one. I'll check with Mark again to see if something has changed but last I heard we still had several already cut and ready to go.

As to how I like my F2.... It seems to work very well for me. The best part of the jack for me was being able to adjust the height and therefore the lift. I used to have issues with depending how the trailer was sitting the tongue wouldn't lift high enough to get on the ball. The adjustment allowed on the F2 eliminated this issue. I bought the dual wheel F2 but probably would recommend the single wheel to others.

Thanks! Yes, I would like one. I believe i have the old plate, but i am not sure - I may have pitched it. I will let you know.

Why would you recommend the single over the double? I would think it adds stability...?

Mark

CantRepeat
10-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Thanks! Yes, I would like one. I believe i have the old plate, but i am not sure - I may have pitched it. I will let you know.

Why would you recommend the single over the double? I would think it adds stability...?

Mark

Singles are easier to move around. I think doubles can have more load.

PM me your mailing address you big baby!!

GT500 MC
10-04-2012, 01:10 PM
I have this jack in a double-wheel config. Very easy to use and manuever around.
As for durability, I've already had the plastic on the finger release (pull-pin) break off (under very minimal pressure I might add). Mine is only two years old. I've got to check but don't think it's under warranty. Hard piece to try to replace too.

Sodar
10-04-2012, 01:16 PM
I have this jack in a double-wheel config. Very easy to use and manuever around.
As for durability, I've already had the plastic on the finger release (pull-pin) break off (under very minimal pressure I might add). Mine is only two years old. I've got to check but don't think it's under warranty. Hard piece to try to replace too.

Same thing happened to me this summer.

They did redesign the pull pin. Luckily, it is easy to find and replace.

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Fulton/F500136.html

GoneBoatN
10-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Actually, I'm not that happy with the F2. First, the disclaimer - I really end up abusing the F2. I have a rather tight fit in my garage. The double car section is separated from the single car section by a support post that is between them. I have to do a lot of pushing and shoving of the dual axle trailer. To get it into the garage I back it into it most of the way, lower the jack completely to take some of the pressure of the rear tires and then push the bow of the boat side ways to swing the stern into position. I also put plastic under the rear tires so that they slide easier as well. The end result is that I put a lot of side to side and other stresses on the F2. The plate that attaches the wheels to the post of the jack is held in place by 4 small screws. One day I noticed the wheel did not seem to be sitting quite right. I disassembled and notice 3 of the 4 screws were broke off.

I also notice that I now have a lot of play in the post itself when in the locked position (upright) for supporting the boat/trailer.

Again, this is all most likely from me subjecting it to stresses it was never intended for.

TxsRiverRat
10-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Singles are easier to move around. I think doubles can have more load.

PM me your mailing address you big baby!!

^LOL

I just want to get busy with fixing my old tractor up. :D

PMing u shortly

MC

GT500 MC
10-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Nice. I thought it was pressed on but never really looked at it closely. Figured it would be another winter project. Looks like just a c-clip retainer? God I love this forum. Thanks.
If that is the case, then I recommend this jack to the OP. :D

TxsRiverRat
10-04-2012, 01:21 PM

Thank you for the feedback!

LaRue
10-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Installed double-wheeled F2 two years ago and have had no issues and have no complaints.

bturner2
10-04-2012, 02:00 PM

Mark

Here's the link to Mark's site if you want stainless.....

http://www.liquidcut.com/tools.aspx

I went with the single wheel recommendation based on comments from others. Mine seems to work well. No complaints.

CantRepeat
10-04-2012, 02:07 PM
^LOL

I just want to get busy with fixing my old tractor up. :D

PMing u shortly

MC

Boxed it up and labeled it. You're gonna need to pick up some 3/8 lock washers, I was out of them. I only had 4 of the tappered blots left so you got luck on that. I also didn't paint it like a production item. Next time I come through Texas Kyle better have some margaritas ready for my wife! :D

Priority mail so you might have it by the weekend.

TxsRiverRat
10-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Boxed it up and labeled it. You're gonna need to pick up some 3/8 lock washers, I was out of them. I only had 4 of the tappered blots left so you got luck on that. I also didn't paint it like a production item. Next time I come through Texas Kyle better have some margaritas ready for my wife! :D

Priority mail so you might have it by the weekend.

Here's the link to Mark's site if you want stainless.....

http://www.liquidcut.com/tools.aspx

I went with the single wheel recommendation based on comments from others. Mine seems to work well. No complaints.

Installed double-wheeled F2 two years ago and have had no issues and have no complaints.

Nice. I thought it was pressed on but never really looked at it closely. Figured it would be another winter project. Looks like just a c-clip retainer? God I love this forum. Thanks.
If that is the case, then I recommend this jack to the OP. :D

Thanks you guys! Tim, let me know when you come to DFW and you get a ski pull and your wife a margarita!

MC

JDC
10-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Come back and let us know what YOU think of the F2 after you get it installed and use it a while.

CantRepeat
10-04-2012, 08:25 PM
Thanks you guys! Tim, let me know when you come to DFW and you get a ski pull and your wife a margarita!

MC

Oh and I didn't drill the 1/2 hole in the center... you're gonna need to cut the stud off your old mount. Sorry. ;)

Covi
10-04-2012, 08:52 PM
If I were to do the F2 again I would buy the dually. My single wheel does not turn or rotate like I would like it. I find I have to kick the wheel in the direction of travel before moving it. The gear has also started to fail. I rarely have to crank the wheel up and down as it is at a perfect hight in the most down position. I just thought I was going to get much better performance out of it. Half the problem of the wheel not wanting to rotate I believe is that I have an epoxy floor garage and it does not leave much resistance for the wheel to move. Wheel tends to stay stationary and slides on the floor. They are the best looking jack on the market I do believe.

JDC
10-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Oh and I didn't drill the 1/2 hole in the center... you're gonna need to cut the stud off your old mount. Sorry. ;)Or he could drill the hole. :)

TxsRiverRat
10-05-2012, 01:08 AM
Come back and let us know what YOU think of the F2 after you get it installed and use it a while.

https://forums.ccgaming.com/images/smilies/thumbs-up-smiley-hi.png

Oh and I didn't drill the 1/2 hole in the center... you're gonna need to cut the stud off your old mount. Sorry. ;)

Or he could drill the hole. :)

If I were to do the F2 again I would buy the dually. My single wheel does not turn or rotate like I would like it. I find I have to kick the wheel in the direction of travel before moving it. The gear has also started to fail. I rarely have to crank the wheel up and down as it is at a perfect hight in the most down position. I just thought I was going to get much better performance out of it. Half the problem of the wheel not wanting to rotate I believe is that I have an epoxy floor garage and it does not leave much resistance for the wheel to move. Wheel tends to stay stationary and slides on the floor. They are the best looking jack on the market I do believe.

Thanks man - I am leaning towards the dual wheel because i dont like the way my trailer moves off the hitch sometimes.

MC

Phntmski
10-05-2012, 11:30 AM
What does he hate about the F2? I've been very pleased.

IMHO, buy an F2 with the welded-on plate. Ask your buddy Kyle to drill 4 holes in the plate and countersink the heads for your, so you don't break a nail or damage a cuticle. From there, bolt the plate to your trailer and the F2 to the plate. Very simple, clean and by far the best jack out there.

This jack (http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jack/Fulton/F1413060334.html) comes with a plate (http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Fulton/F500277.html). It just takes a little work to drill the holes and countersink them to make the adapter plate.

That's just funny. I don't care who you are! :uglyhamme