PDA

View Full Version : Fun in the Sun

LakePirate
09-06-2005, 01:58 PM
Had an exciting weekend. Got stranded on the lake twice on two different boats (neither one mine). Neither time had the correct tools to fix what was wrong. A thermal rope in the prop (yep, it was brand new) and points that went bad (buy the electronic ignition).

Would like to continue to send hexes and curses at the fishermen who didn't even bother to speak as we paddled past them.

Would it be considered tacky to take a toolbox/emergency kit on board with me when I go out on other boats?

I almost cut my thumb off trying to use the safety scissors that were in the first aid kit (with the flimsy metal that you put your thumb in, not the "sharp" cutting edge).

Cary K.
09-06-2005, 02:08 PM
Would it be considered tacky to take a toolbox/emergency kit on board with me when I go out on other boats?

Keep a nice sharp leatherman with you. It can get you out of many situations.

SteveO
09-06-2005, 02:09 PM
[QUOTE=LakePirate]Had an exciting weekend. Got stranded on the lake twice on two different boats (neither one mine). Neither time had the correct tools to fix what was wrong. A thermal rope in the prop (yep, it was brand new)

I hope someone in your boat circled over your own rope? Other wise 60-70 feet within another boat is a little tight.

Ah the joys of boating

shepherd
09-06-2005, 02:12 PM

I'd be insulted. Unless you offer to give me a tune-up while we're out there :rolleyes:

LakePirate
09-06-2005, 02:13 PM
oh no it happened during a driver change

While the leatherman is a thought I was thinking about something similar to the tools that I normally carry in my boat.

Cary K.
09-06-2005, 02:55 PM
I understand your desire to have the tools, but a leatherman type of item is discreet enough to not be insulting, yet still get you out of a jam. I for one would not want any of my friends to bring a toolbox on board. If I felt like I needed to take a toolbox aboard someone else's boat, I would think twice about getting on to start with. If all else fails, make hints or flat out tell the owner(s) they should keep tools on the boat. Still better than you bringing them. My $0.02.

RickDV
09-06-2005, 02:59 PM
Would like to continue to send hexes and curses at the fishermen who didn't even bother to speak as we paddled past them.

I don't get it with fishermen. This weekend I had one wave me down from across the river. He had removed the motor cover from his 10hp and was pulling on the starter rope like crazy. By the time I slowed down and made it to him he had the motor started. I was 5' from his boat and he took off without so much as a word or wave of thanks. He glared at me like I was in his way. Oh well, guess who caught my wake as I took off again. ;)