PDA

View Full Version : Any reason to winterize?

mzimme
10-03-2012, 11:18 AM
With the cold coming up, I have to make a couple decisions about what I'm going to do with the boat. Unfortunately I don't have room at home to store it, so I have to put it in storage somewhere. We have a forecast 32* this weekend, so I need to take care of this before I end up with any damage.

I'm thinking of leaving my regular storage facility for underground cave storage here in KC. They're climate controlled storage that is 61-70* year round. They're dehumidified so there's no musty smell, no dust in there, or anything of that nature.

Is there any reason to "winterize" the boat if it's sitting in 61-70* temperatures during the off season? I'd change the fluids and drain the boat out of existing water, but past that is there really any reason to fill the block with anti-freeze? Seems like overkill...

willyt
10-03-2012, 11:21 AM
you definitely want to fog the cylinders since it'll be sitting for awhile too. if you dry block it, it'll be fine

ccelia
10-03-2012, 11:23 AM
I would if it was my boat. It doesn't take long to do and you'll have a piece of mind should the power cut out at the storage facility. I would also fog the cylinders if the boat isn't going to be started on a regular basis. The same goes for treating the gas if the boat isn't going to be ran, especially with a carbed motor.

mzimme
10-03-2012, 11:26 AM
I planned to treat the gas, good call on the fogging guys. Luckily I don't have to worry about the power going out, as all it does is turn the lights on and off. The place is a cave, so the natural temperature without any heating/cooling aid is 61-70* year round.

This is the spot: http://www.subtropolis.biz/

TxsRiverRat
10-03-2012, 11:38 AM
In Kansas, I would. If you can run the engine 1x a month (which I do here in ft Worth), all i do is drain the block, manifolds and hoses.. none of the other stuff

NatesGr8
10-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Treat the fuel, change the oil, fog the cylinders, moth balls in plastic containers around the boat, battery/s on a maintainer. Should be good to go after that.

mzimme
10-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Treat the fuel, change the oil, fog the cylinders, moth balls in plastic containers around the boat, battery/s on a maintainer. Should be good to go after that.

What are the moth balls for? I pull the batteries out and keep them at home in the basement.

In Kansas, I would. If you can run the engine 1x a month (which I do here in ft Worth), all i do is drain the block, manifolds and hoses.. none of the other stuff

I'd rather just fog it and forget about it until I pull it out in the spring. It tends to stay cold here for long periods of time, and the last thing I want to be doing is draining a block when its sub 30 degree temps out. haha.

Sounds like after work I'll be going to the lake for one last hurrah and to get some fuel treatment through the system. Thanks for the helpful info everyone.

TxsRiverRat
10-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Sounds like after work I'll be going to the lake for one last hurrah and to get some fuel treatment through the system. Thanks for the helpful info everyone.

Man you gonna go through some serious withdrawl symptoms... :D

mzimme
10-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Man you gonna go through some serious withdrawl symptoms... :D

I know. It's ok though... I enjoy snow skiing as much as being on the water, and my family has a couple places out in Colorado, so that will keep me happy while it's cold. :D

east tx skier
10-03-2012, 12:28 PM
I don't think you will have any worry with the block freezing. However, there are some corrosion inhibition benefits from filling your block with Propylene Glycol (RV Antifreeze). I store my boat in an attached garage in northeast Texas. I do the antifreeze these days just for whatever corrosion protection it may provide.

TxsRiverRat
10-03-2012, 12:30 PM
I don't think you will have any worry with the block freezing. However, there are some corrosion inhibition benefits from filling your block with Propylene Glycol (RV Antifreeze). I store my boat in an attached garage in northeast Texas. I do the antifreeze these days just for whatever corrosion protection it may provide.

Those Nautanks arent as tough as Mastercrates :D

east tx skier
10-03-2012, 12:32 PM
That Nautanks arent as touch as Mastercrates :D

They are certainly not as tough to add antifreeze to. ;) Just drain, unhook the hose going to the thermostat housing, raise it up, and pour the antifreeze in. Takes 5 minutes.

Of course, since his 83 has a PCM motor, he can do the same thing! 8p

NatesGr8
10-03-2012, 12:50 PM
I put mothballs in plastic containers (think sour cream or butter tubs) with the lids off, in strategic places throughout the boat to keep critters out.

TxsRiverRat
10-03-2012, 12:56 PM
They are certainly not as tough to add antifreeze to. ;) Just drain, unhook the hose going to the thermostat housing, raise it up, and pour the antifreeze in. Takes 5 minutes.

LOL! dang typos!

mikeg205
10-03-2012, 01:22 PM

That's what I am doing now as well. Fluid in risers...etc...prevent oxidation - due to know oxygen...so you may see black rust come spring...but it does not eat steel like red rust.

Di-Potassium Phosphate is used in fact it is the only corrosion inhibitor found in most RV/Marine antifreeze.

http://www.peakauto.com/resources-technically_speaking.shtml

madcityskier
10-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Good to know you've seen the light. I mean hey, can't hurt, right? ;-)

mikeg205
10-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Good to know you've seen the light. I mean hey, can't hurt, right? ;-)

It's the MCOCD...:D

StrmChzr
10-07-2012, 02:43 PM
I had outstanding water to surf and board last weekend at our lake outside KC. Was hoping to squeeze another day in before calling it a season, but didnt happen this week.

I'm also planning to store my XStar at Subtropolis this winter, but was hoping to wait until the end of October to pull boat out of lake for storage. Unfortunately, a cold front moved into the Midwest towards the end of the week and weatherman called for freezing temps Saturday night.

Sure enough, temperature dropped below freezing for about 3 hours last night and I was worried sick that water in the coolant system might freeze. I consider taking a small portable electic heater to marina last night and placing it in rear locker to keep engine warm. I decided not to use heater because of possible risk of fire.

Instead, I set alarm for 4am this morning and went out to marina and dropped boat in the drink to run engine and warm her up. Ran boat in slip for 20 minutes around 5am and then lifted XStar back out of water, closed her up, and went home to get an hour of shut eye.

Did I overreact to the 1st frost of the year?????

mikeg205
10-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Being on the water even on lift is like an insulator this early in the off season...Miss Rita brought it up earlier in another thread. All that steam you see on water when the temp dives is heat leaving the water....

mzimme
10-07-2012, 08:24 PM
I had outstanding water to surf and board last weekend at our lake outside KC. Was hoping to squeeze another day in before calling it a season, but didnt happen this week.

I'm also planning to store my XStar at Subtropolis this winter, but was hoping to wait until the end of October to pull boat out of lake for storage. Unfortunately, a cold front moved into the Midwest towards the end of the week and weatherman called for freezing temps Saturday night.

Sure enough, temperature dropped below freezing for about 3 hours last night and I was worried sick that water in the coolant system might freeze. I consider taking a small portable electic heater to marina last night and placing it in rear locker to keep engine warm. I decided not to use heater because of possible risk of fire.

Instead, I set alarm for 4am this morning and went out to marina and dropped boat in the drink to run engine and warm her up. Ran boat in slip for 20 minutes around 5am and then lifted XStar back out of water, closed her up, and went home to get an hour of shut eye.

Did I overreact to the 1st frost of the year?????

I ended up filling my block with antifreeze since it wasn't going to be in the caves for a month at least. I think you did good. What lake is your boat on?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

JohnE
10-08-2012, 07:45 AM

I do the same....what am I missing?

ttu
10-26-2012, 09:05 AM
hate to thread jack but i have not winterized the boat yet. it is enclosed storage all metal construction about a hour away. tonight and tomorrow night suppose to get down around 28 degrees with highs the next couple days in the 50's. was planning on doing it this upcoming wednesday. thoughts??

CantRepeat
10-26-2012, 09:48 AM
hate to thread jack but i have not winterized the boat yet. it is enclosed storage all metal construction about a hour away. tonight and tomorrow night suppose to get down around 28 degrees with highs the next couple days in the 50's. was planning on doing it this upcoming wednesday. thoughts??

You should be fine. I think it takes few good days and nights at below freezing for water to freeze hard enough in the block or heads to damage anything. If you look at overnight lows on like weather.com you can for just how long its going to be below freezing.

ttu
10-26-2012, 11:09 AM
thanks for you input. i would do it tomorrow but daughter has a compeitive cheer meet!:rolleyes: