PDA

View Full Version : Prop Cup

Tenderfoot
09-06-2005, 12:20 PM
In the manual for my 2005 197 with the MCX is has a max RPM range of 4800 - 5200. I was only getting 4500 with the original prop. MC sent me a new prop of the same size saying it was the cup on the prop. The new prop topped out at 5000 RPM. I had a unfortunate run in with a log and had to send it to OJ for repair. The repaird prop runs smooth, but it now tops out at 4500 RPM. The boat tops out at 43MPH with both props, but the Indmar manual says if the boat is not in the recommended range it can damage the engine. Anyone experiance the same problem? Is this really a problem when you don't ski at the top end RPM?

Andyg
09-06-2005, 03:23 PM
I had this discussion with several people between ACME, OJ and a couple of Mastercraft dealerships. They all pretty much said the same thing that I should change the prop to get the RPMs up at WOT. I run at WOT a lot for barefooting so it might be more critical in my case.

G-man
09-06-2005, 03:57 PM
The damage they are referring to is if you over-rev the engine. Going down in pitch for better low end performance can make the high end over-rev.