PDA

View Full Version : Tower re-anodization

willyt
10-03-2012, 09:39 AM
hey guys,
my xstar spent most of its early life on a lift on a limey lake, which resulted in some pitting on some of the components of the tower. its purely cosmetic, but i'd like to get it fixed. anyone every re-anodize their tower (or parts of it?)

MattsCraft
10-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Take it off and have it powder coated in black would be sick:cool:

JBrew
10-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Take it off and have it powder coated in black would be sick:cool:

Second that

Sodar
10-03-2012, 12:00 PM
My biggest thing is not the clear anodized stuff, but the black anodized. I wish you could pull that stuff out and do something with it, but I have looked and do not see a way.

LouisvilleFan
10-03-2012, 01:28 PM
My company has a powder Coating line that we use for our products internally. We are always looking at ways to make more use of our line. We do Aluminum and steel. Do you think there is a market for this kind of restoration? How much would someone be willing to pay for a powder coated tower?

willyt
10-03-2012, 04:16 PM
louisville - you actually located in louisville?
I'm in columbus and would be willing to drive down. if you guys could do something like the reverse powder coating that the PWT boat has, i would definitely be interested.

LouisvilleFan
10-03-2012, 04:58 PM
What's the PWT boat? What's reverse powder coating? Got a picture?

mzimme
10-03-2012, 05:14 PM
FWIW, if the tower is already anodized you'll need to clean that surface first before powdercoating it. You'll definitely need to remove the tower, have it sand blasted, and then PC'd. Powdercoat will not stick to anodized surfaces for long and might start chipping off.

petermegan
10-03-2012, 07:15 PM
So, Just wondering can you re-anodize over the top of an already anodized tower as the thread started out. I am fitting a kit form New Dimension tower (don't ask why) and some of the welding done locally is ordinary to say the least. I would like to clean it up then reanodize the rails. Have fun.

willyt
10-04-2012, 11:14 AM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=27622

check out the tower in the actual photos of the boat - instead of the inlay the outside/rim of the tower is black. IMO thats the best looking tower i've ever seen on any wakeboat, ever. the front tube has been wrapped with some sort of vinyl wrap, i thought it was called di-noc, but i might be wrong.

the fact that powder coating wont stick to anodized surfaces is a huge detractor.. i dont want to remove all the anodization thats already there.

anyone know if i can just re-dip it? maybe anodize it black...?

LouisvilleFan
10-04-2012, 01:40 PM
FWIW, if the tower is already anodized you'll need to clean that surface first before powdercoating it. You'll definitely need to remove the tower, have it sand blasted, and then PC'd. Powdercoat will not stick to anodized surfaces for long and might start chipping off.

Actually anodized material will PC just fine. The anodize material will actually hold the PC better then mill in most cases.

LouisvilleFan
10-04-2012, 01:43 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=27622

check out the tower in the actual photos of the boat - instead of the inlay the outside/rim of the tower is black. IMO thats the best looking tower i've ever seen on any wakeboat, ever. the front tube has been wrapped with some sort of vinyl wrap, i thought it was called di-noc, but i might be wrong.

the fact that powder coating wont stick to anodized surfaces is a huge detractor.. i dont want to remove all the anodization thats already there.

anyone know if i can just re-dip it? maybe anodize it black...?

Not sure if there would be enough $$ in a job that small, but I know it can be done. I'll ask our shop if it's a possibility and get back to you.

CCAnderson
10-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Anodizing is an electro-chemical process that converts the surface of aluminum to aluminum oxide that results is a very hard surface that will hold a dye. Aluminum oxide is very durable. it tis the same stuff that is used in sand paper. The anodizing process requires a heated acid bath and electric current thus re-anodizing a small area could be difficult.

In my experience powder coat sticks to everything and is incredible difficult to removed once properly cured.

Ask around your area. Both technologies are not that complex and is becoming more and more available.