PDA

View Full Version : X Star

thomasprop
10-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Can you put a plate on xstar just to do some skiing? Not competition ski, just for people to do some. We just sold our Monterey I/O and are looking at x30 or xstar. We really love the pickle fork and the wakeboard and surf wake of the xstar. Any recomendations?? I am looking for a used 2005-2009. Thanks for any help or advice

magnum
10-02-2012, 11:52 PM
I don't think a plate would help even if you could put it on an xstar, I have an 06 Xstar and you can ski behind it but the wake is fairly tall to cross but is doable , The Hull is built to throw a huge wake . If you ski it is either behind the boat or outside the wake

mastercraftka
05-15-2018, 09:47 AM
Looking to revive this thread instead of creating a new one.

Has anyone put a trim tab on an 04 xstar or similar model? I was thinking about putting a center trim tab.

Cost? Ease of installing? Does it help make the wake longer? Does it help avoid having to drain ballast to go faster than 15mph?

thanks!!

clrussell
05-15-2018, 10:15 AM
Looking to revive this thread instead of creating a new one.

Has anyone put a trim tab on an 04 xstar or similar model? I was thinking about putting a center trim tab.

Cost? Ease of installing? Does it help make the wake longer? Does it help avoid having to drain ballast to go faster than 15mph?

thanks!!

If you have to drain ballast to run more than 15 you need a new prop..

I can run 38 with 4500lbs in my boat

mastercraftka
05-15-2018, 10:23 AM
If you have to drain ballast to run more than 15 you need a new prop..

I can run 38 with 4500lbs in my boat

I can run it faster but I will be red lining my RPM'S and fully loaded the nose goes straight up seems like a lot of strain in the engine.

More importantly I am wanting to make my surf wake longer without having to put bags or too much weight in the front. It is ok when surfing but when you empty the rear tanks and bags the nose goes so far down I can take on water pretty easy.

MC25
05-15-2018, 10:26 AM
I can run it faster but I will be red lining my RPM'S and fully loaded the nose goes straight up seems like a lot of strain in the engine.

More importantly I am wanting to make my surf wake longer without having to put bags or too much weight in the front. It is ok when surfing but when you empty the rear tanks and bags the nose goes so far down I can take on water pretty easy.

Thatís the nature of that hull

mastercraftka
05-15-2018, 10:35 AM
Thatís the nature of that hull

Correct I agree! but I have been told by adding a single middle tab it would help get on plane faster and elongate my wake.

clrussell
05-15-2018, 04:12 PM
I don’t see any negative effects of the plate. I’d put one on mine if I was in your shoes

Mastar
05-15-2018, 04:31 PM
That doesn't sound right. Maybe the platform is plowing water. Try less weight in the *** and more up front. Are you sure the KGB is filling?

mastercraftka
05-15-2018, 05:00 PM
That doesn't sound right. Maybe the platform is plowing water. Try less weight in the *** and more up front. Are you sure the KGB is filling?

gauges suc but I fill til it comes out the over flow.

clrussell
05-15-2018, 06:03 PM
Let’s try this.

What’s your ballast set up, prop, and engine.

I have none of the problems you say you have. My x star will practically tear the handle out of your hands with 2000lbs over stock ballast and has zero issues getting up to speed or problems with surf wave length

clrussell
05-15-2018, 06:13 PM
Here is very detailed pictures and info on my setup among others

mastercraftka
05-15-2018, 06:45 PM
Here is very detailed pictures and info on my setup among others

Don't get me wrong like I said he has power but its long term affects are not good. If you can relieve stress on the boat that is a good thing.

Also like I said my main purpose for putting the trim tab in is for a better longer wake for surfing.

I have 350 5.7L
stock ballasts
a 750lb bag in ea locker
300 lbs lead on portside in front of the battery up to the dash
100lbs lead in front of the driver
wake mate

I surfing but would just like to get the sweet spot back a little.

clrussell
05-15-2018, 08:27 PM
Don't get me wrong like I said he has power but its long term affects are not good. If you can relieve stress on the boat that is a good thing.

Also like I said my main purpose for putting the trim tab in is for a better longer wake for surfing.

I have 350 5.7L
stock ballasts
a 750lb bag in ea locker
300 lbs lead on portside in front of the battery up to the dash
100lbs lead in front of the driver
wake mate

I surfing but would just like to get the sweet spot back a little.

I would venture to say youíre surfing right on the platform basically.

You need bow weight, at least 400lbs. Take 150 from your port lead, and 50
From your driver lead. Put it in the cooler thatís in the front bow seat.. youíll see an amazing difference. Honestly that much weight that far forward might be all you need.

I want to add 100lbs of lead in my anchor storage but I donít have lead.

Also what speed are you running?

My boat slammed out loved 11mph and you can ride 15í back

clrussell
05-15-2018, 08:32 PM
Not trying to bust your balls, but I’ve spent a lot of time figuring out the star surf wave.

If I have a small crew I run fill factory ballast, full 750s in the lockers, full 250s under each front now seat, a 250 as a bow filler, my yeti in the bow (150lbs loaded), and a 450 in the floor against the back seat. With a mission delta style wake shaper.

400 hp 6.0, 15x13 prop. Will instantly get to surf speed, will reach full wakeboard speed (23) in less than 10 sec. only change I make in surf and wakeboard is speed and remove the shaper.

mastercraftka
05-15-2018, 10:48 PM
Im listening believe me, no trouble getting to surf speed. Just thought it would help the wake.

clrussell
05-15-2018, 11:08 PM
Im listening believe me, no trouble getting to surf speed. Just thought it would help the wake.

Itís worth a try, I think itíll just flatten it out and youíll loose what push you have.

Move that lead next time youíre out. Itís free and quick

mastercraftka
05-16-2018, 08:23 AM
Itís worth a try, I think itíll just flatten it out and youíll loose what push you have.

Move that lead next time youíre out. Itís free and quick

Ya I have moved it once to find a better spot but its a pain. I really don't want to put more bags in the walk areas and I really don't want to have more bags to fill either.

Want I need is lots of fat friends that don't surf!!

rbuss4
05-16-2018, 09:37 AM
Ya I have moved it once to find a better spot but its a pain. I really don't want to put more bags in the walk areas and I really don't want to have more bags to fill either.

Want I need is lots of fat friends that don't surf!!

Human ballast that does not want a run of their own are the best kind of ballast!

willyt
05-16-2018, 09:52 AM
You really don’t have an option, without the under bow sacs and walkway sac you’ll just plow forever. Surf wave is great with the nose weight. ‘Sac’ up and buy em

mastercraftka
05-16-2018, 10:15 AM
Human ballast that does not want a run of their own are the best kind of ballast!

Yes and you can tell them to move around to get the wake just right can't do that with a water bag!! lol