PDA

View Full Version : Lake Conroe

ntropy
10-01-2012, 10:38 PM
Midweek pulls with a '12 X2. Most likely going to be going all winter, since a) there is no winter in Texas and b) life is too short to only ride in warm water. PM me if you're interested in joining us.

gts-20
10-01-2012, 11:52 PM
Funny you posted this. FedEx just delivered 2 new wetsuits for us to use on Conroe later this fall and winter.

ntropy
10-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Went yesterday to surf, and neither I nor my Texas-born wife needed any additional gear. We probably won't need heater shirts for another couple of weeks, although lake temperature is dropping by about a degree every three days. Riding again soon, so I'll reply if I encounter any shrinkage.

houtexX30
10-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Do friday's count as midweek if it's at daybreak?

aquaman
10-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Ditto that.....

Friday mornings early are good.

ntropy
10-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Do friday's count as midweek if it's at daybreak?

All seven days are midweek, if you think about it... :D

ntropy
10-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Rode yesterday and had great surf sessions, but by 2PM the south wind had Lake Cornhole so choppy that waiting for the boat to come around for pickup felt like Marky Mark after Clooney sunk his boat. Mornings are definitely better, but getting significantly cooler.

atthelake
10-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Significantly cooler meaning???? 70-75F water temp?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Significantly cooler meaning???? 70-75F water temp?

Yep,
Water temp 74.6 deg F as of today and air temp is 85.2 deg F

atthelake
10-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Yep,
Water temp 74.6 deg F as of today and air temp is 85.2 deg F

Lotsa jobs in Texas for EH&S guys?
The lake where we have our cabin at, during July reached a maximum temp of 79 and that's after 3 weeks of steady 92-98 degF days!!!!

gts-20
10-12-2012, 05:05 PM
We're headed out Sunday AM if the rain holds off.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-12-2012, 05:06 PM
We're headed out Sunday AM if the rain holds off.

ohhh but we do need the rain...

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Lotsa jobs in Texas for EH&S guys?
The lake where we have our cabin at, during July reached a maximum temp of 79 and that's after 3 weeks of steady 92-98 degF days!!!!

We do have a lot of out of towners moving to TX as we do have some jobs but it's nothing to write to obama about,

atthelake
10-12-2012, 05:30 PM
We do have a lot of out of towners moving to TX as we do have some jobs but it's nothing to write to obama about,

Hahaha. I tell you, our season is so short up here it would make you cry.

ntropy
10-17-2012, 07:30 PM
It's around 73 degrees now (water temp) so out come the heater shirts. :rolleyes: How cold does the water have to get for a Canadian to consider it "chilly"?

ntropy
10-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Headed out in 50 degree air for 70 degree water. I'm thinking I'll break out the heater shirt. Safe riding, everyone.

RaggedEarl
10-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Here's the proof we went on Sunday. ntropy's X2, my GoPro.

http://i.imgur.com/BJ4Cf.jpg

gts-20
10-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Headed out in 50 degree air for 70 degree water. I'm thinking I'll break out the heater shirt. Safe riding, everyone.

We were out 10/28 also. It was a little chilly, but still a nice day on the water.

ntropy
10-30-2012, 05:54 PM
GTS-20, did you end up using the new wetsuits? Earl used his but only because he has negative body fat. I used a heater shirt for my first run but was fine without it for the second one, until I got out into the wind. Going out again Thursday.

gts-20
10-30-2012, 06:39 PM
My girlfriend had some continuing education CPE accounting courses she had to take online, so the only way I was "allowed" to go, was if she could take here iPad and spend the day in the sun taking here 3-4 hour course. I didn't even get wet. lol. We got out late, around 1:00, and found a quiet spot out of the wind and anchored up. We both took this coming Friday off, and are staying up there all weekend, so we should be out there Fri., Sat., and maybe Sun. Hopefully we will get to use the wetsuits.

ntropy
10-31-2012, 09:09 AM
This recent cold snap might have made them necessary. We're going out tomorrow (Thursday). Sounds like a stellar weekend! Enjoy.

Ironhorse
10-31-2012, 09:24 AM
You guys are killing us Canadians. We start in the spring in a dry suit with the water temp at 52 and my lake will only get into the low 80's as a high. I will be in Houston to watch the Texans & Jaguars in Nov, but wont have time to enjoy any time on the water. Freezing in Canada and green with envy!!

ntropy
11-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Jags won't win. Come ride instead!

Traxx822
11-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Hey guys. I'm in Houston for the week. If anyone wants to give me a pull I will be indebt to you. I brought my ocean surf board but there is no swell in Galveston. Hit me up on PM so I get an email on my phone.

Traxx822
11-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Im picking up a new doomswell 4'5" wakesurf today if anyone wants to try it out. heading to dallas all next week. Back to Houston next weekend.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

ntropy
11-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Friday's ride was epic. Glass for most of the day, water was 71 degrees, air 65-85. Getting 1400# of ballast delivered Thursday, and can't wait to go again Friday if the weather holds.

psychobilly
11-05-2012, 07:35 AM
My girlfriend had some continuing education CPE accounting courses she had to take online, so the only way I was "allowed" to go, was if she could take here iPad and spend the day in the sun taking here 3-4 hour course. I didn't even get wet. lol. We got out late, around 1:00, and found a quiet spot out of the wind and anchored up. We both took this coming Friday off, and are staying up there all weekend, so we should be out there Fri., Sat., and maybe Sun. Hopefully we will get to use the wetsuits.

How'd the weekend turn out? I made it home but it don't look like we will be making it back out on the MC this year... 😢

gts-20
11-05-2012, 12:31 PM
How'd the weekend turn out? I made it home but it don't look like we will be making it back out on the MC this year... ��

Welcome back buddy!

The weekend was great. We were out Friday afternoon from about 12:30 to dark. Sat morning we got up early and went out for a few hours, then went back to the hotel to watch the A&M game (Mary is a Aggie, not me. lol.). It poured rain Sat. afternoon, so I got to go shopping, soooo boring. We went out Sun from about 9:00-3:00. We skied and listened to the Texans game. For the most part, the water was great all weekend. Air temp was in the high 70's-low 80's. Water temp was between 70-76 depending on where we were. "The spot" was glass every time we went up there. We were the only boat in the whole cove.

Why do you think you won't make it back out? Is there something wrong with your MC? We need to get together. If you still need some help @ your new place, just let me know.

gts-20
02-04-2013, 12:36 AM
Went out today, Sunday 2/3. Air temp 70+ degrees, water temp 61-64 degrees. Hard to believe its early February. Spent some quality time with the fiancÚ, enjoyed the sunshine and warm weather. Best Super Bowl pre game activity ever! 89557

ntropy
02-04-2013, 07:34 AM
Very nice. Just had a Ronix Parks Thruster delivered, but can't ride today... instead, the family is getting a tour of the Mastercraft factory in Vonore, Tennessee! I'm excited. Hopefully we can settle on which model we want to upgrade to. See y'all on the water.

psychobilly
02-04-2013, 10:34 AM
It dont look like yawl made it to teh "spot" . I reckon cuz the lake level is low. I think they are doing some work on the dam.

Looks good man!

gts-20
02-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Hey buddy, how is China treatin' ya?. Those pics are from the dam looking north. The water lever was 198.19 when we launched. They have 3 or 4 barges w/ cranes anchored by the dam, and what looks like a coffer dam built. We did run up to "the spot" to get some charge time on the battery. It was so quiet up there you could hear critters running through the brush on the bank. It was very peacefull. We didn't spend much time in the water since we left our wetsuits at the house.

gts-20
04-05-2013, 10:12 AM
We are going out on Conroe for the day, Sun. 4/7, around 9:00am. Anyone been out lately? Or going this weekend? I see the water level is still useable @ 198.2.

ntropy
04-05-2013, 10:20 AM
Water is high enough, but be cautious around the cove. Some fishermen recently sunk some Christmas trees near the NE edge of the point, so it's best to stay wide in the channel before cutting back in. You should have no problem riding main lake this time of year though. We should be out both late Saturday and all day Sunday. Black and white low-profile X2. Have fun!

psychobilly
04-05-2013, 10:37 AM
I don't get back in the states until the 18th but you can bet your bottom Jamie and I will be seeing you and Mary out there soon!!!! Beau Hunter says, "Daddy, wader!!!" lol He's ready too!!!!! I can't wait to get the green beast out of stoarge and let her taste the wader this year!!!!

gts-20
04-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Water is high enough, but be cautious around the cove. Some fishermen recently sunk some Christmas trees near the NE edge of the point, so it's best to stay wide in the channel before cutting back in. You should have no problem riding main lake this time of year though. We should be out both late Saturday and all day Sunday. Black and white low-profile X2. Have fun!

We'll look for ya. Ours is the white and red Prostar 214 w/ mini tower. I think we are going to head all the way north to "the spot".

gts-20
04-05-2013, 12:00 PM
I don't get back in the states until the 18th but you can bet your bottom Jamie and I will be seeing you and Mary out there soon!!!! Beau Hunter says, "Daddy, wader!!!" lol He's ready too!!!!! I can't wait to get the green beast out of stoarge and let her taste the wader this year!!!!

We are looking forward to it buddy!

psychobilly
04-05-2013, 12:59 PM
We shall see you at "the spot" soon brother!!! Reminds me I need to make us a sign fer "the spot" this year. lol

BradleyV
04-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Good Morning guys,
I made my maiden voyage (ever) on Conroe this past Sunday. I took a buddy with me to show me around. I think we went up to where you guys are talking about. Beyond the stumps where you have to take the path on the far left side of the lake? I'll be honest, that made me nervous as crap. But, I saw quite a few boats buzzing through there. We made it fine. I'm sure you have to just get used to it.

I'd like to know where you guys ski/wakeboard. Is it back there, or in other coves?

I have a red/black/flake '12 X2. If you see me, don't be a stranger. I'm always looking to meet people who enjoy the water as much as I do.

I won't be out there this weekend, but maybe the following. I will keep an eye out for you guys as well.

Brad

psychobilly
04-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Good Morning guys,
I made my maiden voyage (ever) on Conroe this past Sunday. I took a buddy with me to show me around. I think we went up to where you guys are talking about. Beyond the stumps where you have to take the path on the far left side of the lake? I'll be honest, that made me nervous as crap. But, I saw quite a few boats buzzing through there. We made it fine. I'm sure you have to just get used to it.

I'd like to know where you guys ski/wakeboard. Is it back there, or in other coves?

I have a red/black/flake '12 X2. If you see me, don't be a stranger. I'm always looking to meet people who enjoy the water as much as I do.

I won't be out there this weekend, but maybe the following. I will keep an eye out for you guys as well.

Brad

That sounds like you were at the spot. :-)

I can take you all over with my GPS and you think you were SH&*ING following your buddy, jump in with me and I'll take you right through the stumps. lol The ONLY reason I can do that is becaue when the lake was 7' low I had my GPS in my skiff and marked a load of channels on my plotter. I have a mount and pig tail in both boats so I just take the Plotter from either boat.

Be carefull up there because I have seen a guy rip out two I/Os. Well, one went to the bottom and the other was tore up. He was scoot'n with those twins until he found a stump...

I have the green and white 240 SC, can't miss it. I'll be looking for ya! GTS-20 is normally tied up to starboard at the spot.

BradleyV
04-08-2013, 06:15 PM
Your GPS unit sounds awesome. I was going so slow through the "channel" a fisherman with a trolling motor could've passed me. I was nervous. I didn't want to end up like one of those guys.

I would like to see more of the lake. Work and family will have me off the water for the next 2 weeks. But I'll be back shortly after that. I will certainly look for you!!

bv

psychobilly
04-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Well I don't get home for another week and I have to de winterize ours. It's looking like two weeks before we get out too. Hopefully we can all hook up. Mike and Mary are up there almost EVERY weekend. Hopefully we can get james and his family up to visit with us too.

You should get you a GPS with a chartplotter if you're going to run around on lake conroe... Serious, I have a 75' wide and 300 yards long channel plotted right through the 1st jungle...

I'm looking forward to meetin yawl bud.

BradleyV
04-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Looking forward to meeting you too! And yes, I will look into that.

bv

gts-20
04-14-2013, 05:22 PM
Out enjoying some sunshine with my beautiful fiancÚ @ " the spot".

psychobilly
04-14-2013, 06:09 PM
OH HE!! YEAH!!! Look at that, 3 boats in the whole cove! I shall meet you at "the spot" soon brotha!!!!!!!!!

I hate it but love it too!!!!

c_hotshot
04-19-2013, 04:26 PM
How exactly do you get up there? I've always been extremely nervous running north of the bridge...but that appears to be sooo peaceful and would be great to get away from the south end craziness.

psychobilly
04-19-2013, 08:56 PM
If you never been up yonder I don't recommend going off of word of mouth directions.

If you're interested PM me you cell and we can hook up.

I'll try and get a lake map, doctor it up with a path and post it for you.

psychobilly
04-20-2013, 05:34 PM
I really suggest that you follow soemone that knows the area before you venture up yonder in your inboard...

I got this off the net and from what I know about the lake it faily corect. I added some stumps that were not on their map.

Also, if you look just south of Calvery RD, you will see a red blip. That's a sand bar that is only about 2' below the surface when the lake is at full pool.

If you come off of that point and run west over the the west shore line and then hug the shore, you'll do fine. Get off the shore, you're done... I have channels marked through the middle of that stuff in the middle too on my plotter.

I fish and hunt the lake so I have ran this lake in the fog and at night with my chart plotter. They are nice to have. It's great to be fogged in and everyone sitting at the dock waiting for the fog to lift and you head out. lol

c_hotshot
04-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Thanks for posting this. PM sent.

psychobilly
05-25-2013, 08:18 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/26/tumesupe.jpgSorry I ain't been communicating with my boys here. Back in China and we are at the end of this completion campaign and they have almost killed the Internet here on the MODU. Going in for a few days and then back out to an intervention vessel.

House is almost completed! Wooooo hoooo Jamie is set to close on the 7th.

Be ready to hit the lake in between moving.

ntropy
05-30-2013, 05:14 PM
RaggedEarl and I will be surfing at dawn Sunday, then chilling in the cove afterward. Hope to see y'all out there.

psychobilly
06-10-2013, 07:11 PM
RaggedEarl and I will be surfing at dawn Sunday, then chilling in the cove afterward. Hope to see y'all out there.

Well how was it?

We are planning on being there this weekend. I fly home on Wednesday and get home Thursday morning. Busy with some new house stuff but we are planning on going to the spot on Saturday.

I can't wait to hit the lake! Wooooo hooooooo it *** here as I'm on a vessel surrounded by water every day for a month Dan can't get in to enjoy it! I do have to say that the last two weeks here on the Normand Baltic have been great compared to the Chinese rig I have been working on for the past year.

Ready to hit the spot for sure! How's the lake level? Are they still working on the water plant on the south end near the dam? I know that they had the lake level down for carrying out this task but I ain't sure how long it's going to go on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ntropy
06-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Surfing was excellent. There is a ton of traffic by noon, however, regardless of the day. AFAIK, SJRA hasn't artificially manipulated the lake level. What I do know is that once that pipeline is complete, there's no way the lake will ever get back to full pool. Water temp is 83 degrees and holding. The better half and I'll be in Playa this weekend, so no lake for us, but will hit it solid next week. Have fun and be safe!

psychobilly
06-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the update bud and have fun!

psychobilly
06-15-2013, 12:40 PM
At the spot.

aquaman
06-15-2013, 12:42 PM
Surfing was excellent. There is a ton of traffic by noon, however, regardless of the day. AFAIK, SJRA hasn't artificially manipulated the lake level. What I do know is that once that pipeline is complete, there's no way the lake will ever get back to full pool. Water temp is 83 degrees and holding. The better half and I'll be in Playa this weekend, so no lake for us, but will hit it solid next week. Have fun and be safe!

"Pipeline" ?

whats up with that ?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-15-2013, 02:42 PM
"Pipeline" ?

whats up with that ?

Montgomery County is gearing up to start using Lake Conroe as it's water supply and stop relying on COH.

psychobilly
06-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Yep, that's the word on the street. They have been working at the dam for a while now.

Been seeing a few MCs at the spot but never seen them on here. One X45 had a HUGE inflatable that they pulled out and inflated upon arrival.

It has been Super HOT down here! 200pm we are out of the water!

aquaman
06-25-2013, 11:26 AM
Montgomery County is gearing up to start using Lake Conroe as it's water supply and stop relying on COH.

That will not be good, with Montgomery county growing like crazy.

The lake is already stressed and below normal levels......

Great planning, you cannot take more water from a lake that is already low???

They probably have plans to make it rain more too? :rolleyes:

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-25-2013, 01:18 PM
That will not be good, with Montgomery county growing like crazy.

The lake is already stressed and below normal levels......

Great planning, you cannot take more water from a lake that is already low???

They probably have plans to make it rain more too? :rolleyes:

Lake Conroe was never intended to be a recreation lake, always was a reservoir. Because of the growth is why they are doing it. COH is stressed and can't keep up the demand.

aquaman
06-25-2013, 01:39 PM
Lake Conroe was never intended to be a recreation lake, always was a reservoir. Because of the growth is why they are doing it. COH is stressed and can't keep up the demand.

The people with waterfront property will not be happy at that news.

Already there are many docks that dont have enough water to launch. :(

Thanks for the info.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-25-2013, 09:28 PM
The people with waterfront property will not be happy at that news.

Already there are many docks that dont have enough water to launch. :(

Thanks for the info.

Eventually (within 15 years) there will be a basin from Lake Livingston that will feed Lake Conroe to supply Montgomery County.

gts-20
07-05-2013, 06:29 PM
We just got back from a trip to Lake Superior......any Conroe people headed out tomorrow?

psychobilly
07-12-2013, 10:33 PM
We just got back from a trip to Lake Superior......any Conroe people headed out tomorrow?

We will be there tomorrow brother! You working?

gwozhog
07-13-2013, 01:02 AM
I just bought a boat today from a guy in Bentwater. We took my new preloved MC sportstar out today and noticed the water has gone down quite abit since a month ago. Conroe is cursed year after year with low water.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-13-2013, 01:08 AM
I just bought a boat today from a guy in Bentwater. We took my new preloved MC sportstar out today and noticed the water has gone down quite abit since a month ago. Conroe is cursed year after year with low water.

It's just going to get worse over the next few years, a bright side of things is all the lake front owners will gain property footage, in the form of beaches. :rolleyes:

gts-20
07-13-2013, 10:02 AM
We will be there tomorrow brother! You working?

Ya, I'm working today. I'll be working a lot of Saturdays through 8/10 getting ready for inventory.

We will be out tomorrow, Sun. 7/14. Let me know if you'll be on the water so we can try to meet up.

gts-20
07-13-2013, 10:07 AM

It shows 198.2 this morning, and was 198.6 last month. Still about 2.5 feet below full pool. We need several days of rain to get it back up.

We keep our boat on Conroe, but are looking to start using the USJ river (if we can get someone to show us around) and the Trinity river.

gwozhog
07-31-2013, 12:30 AM
It shows 198.2 this morning, and was 198.6 last month. Still about 2.5 feet below full pool. We need several days of rain to get it back up.

We keep our boat on Conroe, but are looking to start using the USJ river (if we can get someone to show us around) and the Trinity river.

I live in kingwood so I have been on the upper san Jacinto river from 59north to west lake houston many times. A good portion of the river is only 6 to 7 ft deep so you have to be careful. There is a small passage area that takes you from the river to lake houston and its only 4 ft deep so you really need to know where you are going. If you would like a tour let me know.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-31-2013, 07:41 PM
I live in kingwood so I have been on the upper san Jacinto river from 59north to west lake houston many times. A good portion of the river is only 6 to 7 ft deep so you have to be careful. There is a small passage area that takes you from the river to lake houston and its only 4 ft deep so you really need to know where you are going. If you would like a tour let me know.

I to am in KW, 6-7 deep is being generous in some areas now ain't it.

What color is your sportstar? I don't think I've see you out, there is a ps200 or bf200 thats always out barefooting.

gwozhog
08-01-2013, 12:04 AM
I to am in KW, 6-7 deep is being generous in some areas now ain't it.

What color is your sportstar? I don't think I've see you out, there is a ps200 or bf200 thats always out barefooting.

I have a white with blue SS 190. I just got the boat a few weeks back. My son broke his leg last tues on the beach at the volleyball ct. Freek accident. Before I had my master craft maybe you have seen me on the river on a14 ft inflatable kaboat with a small 6 hp outboard. It almost sits as low to the water as a surfboard and cruises about 18mph. We get a ton of stares when we take it out.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-01-2013, 11:42 PM
I have a white with blue SS 190. I just got the boat a few weeks back. My son broke his leg last tues on the beach at the volleyball ct. Freek accident. Before I had my master craft maybe you have seen me on the river on a14 ft inflatable kaboat with a small 6 hp outboard. It almost sits as low to the water as a surfboard and cruises about 18mph. We get a ton of stares when we take it out.

Sorry to hear about your son breaking his leg, I try to utterly avoid the volleyball court/ beach, gets to busy on saturday afternoon with drunks, pontoons, jet boats and your general wallys. We only stop there if nobody is there usually before noon. Look for a grey and green mc tristar with a tower and say hi.

gwozhog
08-03-2013, 01:07 AM
Was out on the north san jac today and average depth today was 4.5 to 5 ft deep for much of the river. The water was flat as glass but seems a little to low to safely wakeboard unless you want a mouth full of mudd when you crash frontside.

geshields
08-03-2013, 11:40 AM
We were out on Conroe yesterday wakeboarding and surfing. Met up with a buddy at the bridge who took us north to what I am assuming is the "spot" everyone here is referring to. It was like glass in that cove with just a few boats anchored in the cove. We wakeboarded and surfed up there and it was awesome! We have a Silver flake and white X35.