PDA

View Full Version : Teflon tape ok on water drain plug?

ProStar Slalom
10-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Team,

'01 19 Skier with 310 Predator. While changing the oil yesterday I noticed a very small water leak at the port side drain plug on the block. I have a shower installed, so never mess with these threads since I can drain that side of the block through the shower line. I removed the shower line and the brass threaded connection. Can I put some teflon tape on these threads or is the engine block too hot for teflon tape? Thanks.

mikeg205
10-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Most teflon tape can withstand up to 500 degrees... so I think your good. :D

ProStar Slalom
10-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Thank you! Ok, headed back to the garage....

Sullivan
10-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Its brass and should not need any tape, tighten it down a little more. At least that was what I was always told growing up and at the boat shop I worked at in high school.

Legolamb
10-02-2012, 07:53 AM
No problem with the tape, and it does make removal easier if you need to in the future. Use it on all my plugs.

ProStar Slalom
10-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Thanks to all. Job should be complete; just need to run it to be sure. Just another example of how great this site is. I posted the question last night, and checked back for an answer 10 minutes later. My wife says, "You think someone responded already?" And sure enough, someone had. Probably a dumb/simple question, but a quick reply gave me peace of mind with my work. Thanks to all who contribute so frequently to help (and entertain) others.